Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Bread or Pasta Forever??

Hi,

I am brand new...never posted before. I have done a lot of reading here however.... I am going to my lap band class this Thursday.

I have read some posts where people say you eat the same things long-term...only smaller quantities. I have heard other people say NO bread or Pasta...is this forever? Some times I get worried about doing this surgery because I'm afraid of being able to handle these restrictions.

Are the restrictions of no bread or Pasta or soda forever?? Never a sandwich again? What about pizza? Will it be ok in very small quantites in the future (I know the begining will be resrtictive). I know being fat is because of bad eating habits...I am having a hard time thinking about saying goodbye to those 100% forever.

For those of you who've been baded for some time...what has been your experience?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I am able to eat any types of food. Any meats, bread, Pasta, pizza. I just don't eat a million calories of it a day like I used to. I know I exaggerated a little. I have lost 100 lbs in my first year. What I have found is that everyone is different. I just take small bites and chew well. I have had some pbs but not routinely. HTH.

Linda

I can still eat almost everything, you just have to slow down and make wiser choices. pizza is thin crust instead of pan, and 1 peice instead of 3. Burger king is a whopper Jr. w/cheese and small onion rings... instead of a full burger and large onion rings, and also I use half the bread and half the rings now instead of polishing off the entire thing and wondering what's next! Those are a few examples, I still eat healthy most of the time, watch calorie/protein counts, it just allows me to "blow it" every once in a while. Keep reading posts all over this board and you'll learn everything you need to know.

Hi,

I am brand new...never posted before. I have done a lot of reading here however.... I am going to my lap band class this Thursday.

I have read some posts where people say you eat the same things long-term...only smaller quantities. I have heard other people say NO bread or Pasta...is this forever? Some times I get worried about doing this surgery because I'm afraid of being able to handle these restrictions.

Are the restrictions of no bread or Pasta or soda forever?? Never a sandwich again? What about pizza? Will it be ok in very small quantites in the future (I know the begining will be resrtictive). I know being fat is because of bad eating habits...I am having a hard time thinking about saying goodbye to those 100% forever.

For those of you who've been baded for some time...what has been your experience?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Hi kitty, ive had my band 2yrs 3 months, and the 1st thing i had to give up was bread or any kinds of foods with bread including pizza, 1 bite makes me vomit as it gets stuck no matter how much you chew it,so i just accepted it and dont even bother trying to eat them no more, as its not worth the pain. You need to think very carefully about what u really want in life, i wanted my health before the food, thats why i chose surgery, but u have to come to terms with it mentally as u cant have it both ways or they would be no point in getting a band. I wish u every luck with your future.

Liz xxxxxxxxxxxx

I have been able to eat whatever i want most times, but i choose NOT to have those, because it just isn't worth it. 30 minutes of walking only gets rid of enough calories for half a candy bar, etc. bread and pizza (with all it's cheese (110 cal / oz)) is fattening so it isn't worth it to me. I would rather have something better that will make me feel full longer so that i don't want to eat again in an hour or 2. I have made exceptions, then mentally regretted it because i felt like a cheater, but then went back to my normal "new" habits. I can tell you however, I have greens at least once a week (like escarole or broccoli rabe) which has some olive oil and lemon on it and i will have a piece of whole wheat Italian bread with it to dip. I mean, come on, we have to live right? lol. However, let me say one thing, WHOLE WHEAT grains are good for you. Baked potatoes are good for you. Don't believe it when people say they aren't. What isn't healthy is all the crap people put on them, like cheese and bacon bits, sour cream, even butter. These things not only add calories and fat they sometimes, depending on what you are piling on, can undo other good foods you eat. 2 of the best, a number healthiest foods in the world : oatmeal and SWEET POTATOES. NOT with milk and sugar and candied and loads of butter, of course. Talk to a nutritionist, or even look it up on line, these 2 foods are excellent and filling; even though oatmeal is a carb. We need some carbs in our lives. For me, and this is only me because everyone's body is really different, it meant making alot of hard choices, but I have been doing it with sheer joy. I just bought 2 pairs of jeans and 3 shirts, first new clothes i have bought since banded, they are now 18. I was a 24 in most things and sometimes a 26. So, I am elated. And you will be too.

As you see those pounds go off, you will know you are making the right decisions, but you will feel it too. Like more energy, better sleep (i had bad sleep apnea, after the first month of the band was already much, much better), happier outlook on life. Obviously, this isn't all from the band, but the band reinforces it. Like you are doing the right thing for your body, then when you feel better and see results, you are a happier person inside.

I haven't tried bread as such. I've had a bite of pizza, and a 2 or 3 hush puppies, maybe a tablespoon or two of Pasta but that's about it. I was able to eat it with no problem but then again I didn't eat that much. I choose not to eat those things because I believe they are not good for me. I get my carbs with fruits and veggies. Right now, since they're in season, I probably eat more fruit than I should. As I look at it that is better than those other carbs. My downfall pre band was chips of any kind and dip. It surprises me how I have no craving for them now. That too was my fear, would I be able to restrict my craving for chips . I've had no problem. Just don't forget that every body is different and will react differently to to foods. Listen to your body after your banding and it will tell you what you can have. Good luck and keep reading this site. It's full of useful info and ask questions. Another site that is strictly lap band is lapbandtalk.com . It's good because itls about lap bander only.

I guess I just made a fool of myself. I forgot what site I was on when I was writing. This is lapbandtalk. Sorry , it's probably old age stepping up.

I can eat pizza (thin crust) and toasted bread. I will slice off the top of a dinner roll when eating out.

I have always been able to eat Pasta. I couldn't count how many stoffers mac and cheese I have eaten. I cannot eat a whole one now . I could between surgery and first fill. Since fills only about half of individual serving.

Sodas are gone for me. They just make me burb even after trying to make them go flat (leaving one out over nite!!).

Soda is no brainer compared to the way my size 12 jeans make me feel .

edie

Hello Kitty,

I can eat Pasta, but bread gives me trouble if I eat it in a sandwich.

I don't eat a huge amount of Pasta when I do eat it..and I make sure that it is whole wheat---so I can get the Fiber ;)

Denise

I have no problem whatsoever with Pasta and eat it fairly regularly, just in much smaller quantities than I used to. pizza goes down, but only if it is thin crust. As for bread, I cannot eat any soft, doughy bread. However, if it is hard-crusted, such as garlic bread, I can eat it.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I know there will be sacrifices for sure. I guess I have to be realistic about what life will be like. If I could say no to Pasta and bread and sweets now...I wouldn't need the surgery. I am hoping the band will give me the power to make the right choices that I am not finding the ability to do now. I still have the class coming up...and haven't even met my doctor. I guess its just that after a lifetime of bad choices, I am skeptical that it will help me as much as everyone says it will in terms of allowing me the restraint. Nothing else has worked. But I am hopeful...and desperate.

I find that Pasta and bread are hard for me to eat but a very very very small amt every so often I can do. I am talking like 1/2 a piece of toast of 1/2 cup of pasta. pizza I can do 2 or 3 little bites of.

But really when your fill is just right you dont feel hungry very often and you get to a point that its not as big of a deal.

I had to respond because you named my 4 favorit things. Soda I have lived without and I never in a life time thought I could. For a little while after me surgery I had no restriction and soda was something I would treat myself to once in a while. Not a lot but maybe 4-6 oz. Now I have alot of restriction and have lost the desire for soda because it make me feel sooooooo uncomfortable.

Pasta and bread was my favorit meal. Now I go to like the Olive garden and get Soup. THen I take a few bites of my husbands pasta and am happy. We are talking like maybe 3 or 4 bites.

But I promise that once you start lossing weight it will not be so bad. What one person eats another peson may not be able to and vise versa.

Please go to your meeting and you will be happy with the results.

Good luck!!!!