Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for people 5+ years post-op

For those of you who are 5+ years post-op, how do you feel about your life/diet post-op? I am looking into bariatric surgery. My Doctor referred me to a surgeon, and I will be going to a class. I am feeling very overwhelmed and a little intimidated by the idea of committing myself to that restrictive diet for the rest of my life. I know it's necessary, but if it were that easy I wouldn't be needing bariatric surgery in the first place. I guess it's all a matter of getting your head in the game 100%...any tips?

I'm not 5 years, but over 4....

Restrictive??? Diet??? those are 2 words I do not use.

How about "New Lifestyle"?

I have had lap band surgery,,,yes it restricts the amount of food, portion sizes, I can eat.....does it bother me? No, because it also took care of my hunger, and my tastes have changed to where a lot of things...MANY things, do not appeal to me anymore. I have no desire, no cravings.

Also, the Lap band has made certain foods difficult to eat, so i gave them up entirely rather than gamble....looking back, all the foods, or most, where not that good for me in the first place. And if I was on a diet they would be "Red Flag" foods like cakes, breads, rice, etc, etc.

Over 4 years later, I take a day like any other day...perfectly normal, don't even think about the fact I had weight loss surgery....all those lessons I learned early on have now become not just a habit, but it is who I am and what I do instinctively

Sure, every now and then I will drink Water too fast, or swallow something too large or too quickly...but it is nothing more than a little reminder....not the sky is falling!!

You may read many posts from people who are struggling...but if you can read between the lines you can see why they are struggling..."Have not seen their Dr in over a year" for one example.....and the majority of them are from people who are new to this...

Granted, there are legitimate unavoidable problems with this surgery, some dangerous....just as there is with anything in life.

But I am at a "Normal" weight, in excellent health ( was not always so) and I have more self-esteem, motivation, and energy than I ever have....

Would I trade this off??? Not a chance!!!

Edited by B-52

There are very few people who are 5+ years out that still post on these forums.

I am 3 years and 3 months post sleeve. i had the lapband for over 10 years prior to that.

I am not exactly sure how to answer your question though. For me, it was life or death. I had become so obese, i was not living the life i wanted and I had to choose whether to die slowly buried in fat, or choose another path.

since being sleeved, I can eat anything but in small portions. I really have to work to avoid regain, but have been maintaining a very significant weight loss since Feb 2013.

Thank you for your responses! :)

B-52: I'm sorry, I said that wrong, I didn't mean "diet" like I'm dieting to lose weight, I meant diet like the foods we eat on a daily basis are what make up our diet.

I have been talking to a friend who had gastric bypass, and the scare of dumping syndrome made me freak out a little. But the more I read, I am seeing that does not happen with the sleeve. Guess I just have more learning to do!

Something resembling dumping can happen but like the previous reply, it serves as a reminder. You are exactly right about getting your head around this thing. A sleeve is a wonderful thing but still not easy.Think of it like this: If someone were constantly reminding you not to do ( whatever ) and they never shut up, every single day they are on your back insisting that you do things their way and if not they would make you miserable. Eventually you would tire of this routine and rebel against them in a big way. The sleeve is much like this insistent individual but you cannot rebel. In fact, you asked for this thing and you will darn well do it the way the sleeve likes it or it will teach you an all new meaning of the word misery.

Once you accept it and do things the way you are supposed to your sleeve will reward you with the things you wanted in the first place. Better health, mega weight loss, and a whole new life.

It's a big decision and a lifelong commitment. If you are willing to commit you will reap more benefits that you imagined.

Just my take on things.

Sharon I agree on that assessment in the beginning. .but over time it is increasingly possible to ignore the sleeve tool and return to old ways.

I'm almost 5 years out (will be this Dec). It's a lifestyle change for sure...but 5 years out.....I've learned....all things in moderation! I eat real food now....just not as much=)