Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your food plan of choice.

Which food plan do you prefer?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which food plan do you prefer?

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Jachut and Areellady. I eat VERY healthy but I eat what I want. My doctor told me he didn't want me "dieting". He feels that we all have an obsession with food to begin with, so starting the obsession of weighing, measureing, counting calories, carbs and fats is simply trading one obsession for another. I like his philosophy regarding the WLS. It's one reason I chose him. He's about regaining our quality of life. The life lead as an obese person was not optimal or quality. I want to feel good and be healthy first. If I look better, (which is inevitable) then that's a plus. I eat FRESH veggies ONLY. I don't eat anything out of a can, (except maybe tuna) and rarely eat anything processed or prepackaged. I lean toward organic, but not strict about it. I eat carbs, but try for the low glycemic choices. I eat these last if I have room. I try to eat fish at least three times a week. I don't use artificial sweetner. I personally think it's poison, and it makes me ill. I get headaches. If I want something sweet, I'm okay with a small cookie (usually a ginger snap) or a piece of fruit. I'm enjoying life more now than I have in 18 years. And that's okay by me.

Hi,

I was banded mid April, 2008 and have had one 3.5 cc fill in a 10 cc band.

What do people find keeps them fullest longest? Are you guys strict about eating only Protein first? what about sandwiches/wraps?

thnks

I go for low carbs, but not no carbs. I basically stay away from bread, Cookies, candy. cakes but do have some complex carbs. I am not super duper careful for example, I had chicken with broccoli from the Chinese restaurant for lunch today which I'm sure that the sauce has simple carbs in it but I won't do that often.

For those who try to stay low carb, about how many carbs do you have per day. I know when I did Atkins the goal was to stay at about 20. Is that still the case when you are low carb with the band or do you have more.

Hi Monica,

I really wish I knew how many carbs I have in a day. I'll tell you what I ate yesterday.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup cottage cheese 1/2 banana

Lunch: 2 pieces of Baby Bell cheese, a peach, and apple (I was on the go; normally I have Protein and veggie for lunch.)

Dinner: 6 oz salmon w/ frozen stringbeans and brocolli, fresh summmer squash (about a cup) all cooked with some lemon juice, dry mustard and Adobo.

Snack: 2 oz cheddar cheese.

I don't weigh or measure anything but the measurement are pretty accurate...(from practice from going on and off Weight Watchers:rolleyes2:)

Can anyone tell approx how many carbs I had?:tt2:

Edited by Alfie

I would say I eat South Beach more or less. I don't count calories anymore because I did that for so long that now I know what size portion I can have and I tend to eat the same things a lot and I had already looked up the calories when I was first banded.

Low carb low fat and lean protein= South Beach.

I'm with Jachut and others - healthy balanced diet in moderate to small portions. I don't eat a lot of bread, white rice or Pasta but I don't avoid it altogether either. Mostly, I eat meat and fresh veges, lots of salad for lunch, and a small portion of whatever's going for dinner. I do avoid fried food and junk and am fairly strict about that but not 100%. I don't know how people that aim for 1/4 cup a meal can cope - I eat at least a cup for lunch and dinner!

That 1/4 cup is a load of cr@p. I would never eat like that. Pretty much if you avoid junk food and eat healthy low fat Protein veggies and fruit, there is no reason you have to be limited to itty bitty portions. The band won't let me overeat.

That 1/4 cup is a load of cr@p. I would never eat like that. Pretty much if you avoid junk food and eat healthy low fat Protein veggies and fruit, there is no reason you have to be limited to itty bitty portions. The band won't let me overeat.
You know it's probably not nice of me to say so, but I have a very hard time believing people when they say they only eat 1/4 cup 3 times a day. Do they really use the proper cup measures for that? I mean, look how small 1/4 cup is!! Who could think living on 3/4 cup for an entire day's food intake was a healthy way of living? I take such comments with a fairly large pinch of salt :biggrin:.

I am counting calories at the Daily Plate, too. I love it because I've never been able to successfully eat so few calories in my LIFE. LOL! I also keep my calories low carb and high Protein simply for the nutrition benefits . . . but it allows me to eat some of my calories on the fun stuff occasionally -- like this low glycemic frozen yogurt that's my favorite, or the one tiny cookie I had at my grandma's house. I was so far under my calorie counts that those "fun" foods were fine and it didn't make me feel like I was sabotaging my efforts like it might have made me feel if I was doing strict Atkins or something like that.

I would love to get to a point where I could just rely on the band and not count calories. But, for now, while this is all so new, I'm loving the calorie counting. It kept me in check while I was unfilled and it's sort of become a game for me.

I hope to get to a point in my life where I just have a "feel" for what I'm supposed to be eating and that eating the right foods nutritionally just becomes a habit and I won't feel the need to log my intake. Until then, this is working for me for now.

It will happen. That's where I am now. I counted calories for so long, that now I know from the portion size how much to eat and it's 2nd nature to just eat the portion that the band lets me eat. I don't have to count calories anymore.

There are times when I go nuts, from some sort of social event, but I get right back on track the next day, and whatever I gained from

"falling off the wagon" is gone within a couple of days.

The guidelines provided by the doctor says after moving to solid foods, avoid liquid calories. Wouldn't that suggest no Protein Shakes and to get the Protein in through solid foods?

Some people use Protein shakes because they are (IMHO) too tight and can't eat real food. Some people also write about being very restricted in the am, and not able to eat real food until later in the day. The danger with the Protein Shakes, is they defeat the purpose of the band, which is to keep food in your stomach pouch for longer periods of time, keeping you feeling full for longer, hence eating less. Many shakes are very high in fat and calories as well. I try to not drink any of my calories, except for milk (which I don't like).

I do count calories and document everything I eat (I really like thedailyplate.com). I try to stick to around 1000-1200 calories per day. I eat all foods, in moderation. I do try to stick to natural foods and whole wheat, but I do use splenda and low calorie/low fat alternatives, if they taste good to me (for example 2% or light cheese).

If I go out, I try to think of what I am going to order before I go (just to try to be reasonably sane about my choices), but I don't really sweat it and eat what I want. I still eat chocolate, pizza and Cookies, just not that often. I also eat 2 Cookies instead of the package :thumbup:.

I eat at least 2-3 oz of Protein at lunch and dinner and also lots of veggies (which means I eat at least a cup of food at each meal - probably more like 1 1/2 cups for dinner). I try to have at least one large piece of fruit each day (equivalent of 2 servings). I don't like milk, so I have trouble getting enough Calcium, but I take a nummy Calcium chew every day (as well as a multi-vitamin).

Rather than calling it a "diet", my plan was/is to eat the way I am planning to eat for the rest of my life. At the same time, I had to drastically change the way I ate (both quantity and quality) in order to be successful as the way I ate before got me to super morbidly obese, so I guess technically I am "dieting".

I know realistically I will not likely be able to ever eat more than about 1500 calories per day and not gain, so I feel that the way I am eating now is very sustainable, as I can just add a bit and take it away when I need to readjust.

I to use thedailyplate.com. I was intimidated by the site at first, but then I gave it an honest try and now it's super easy.

This is the eating habits I stick to:

- 800 to 1200 calories a day

- 60 grams of Protein a day minimum

- 64 oz. of Water a day minimum

- no non-natural sugar

- no more than 20 grams of fat a day

- no more than 100 grams of carbs a day

- no white carbs (sugar, flour, rice, bread and potatoes)

- no chewing gum

- no caffiene

- no carbonation

- no using straws with drinks

- no alcoholic drinks

- no sugar alcohols (like sugar free candy, etc)

I promise, it's easier than it sounds!

I to use thedailyplate.com. I was intimidated by the site at first, but then I gave it an honest try and now it's super easy.

This is the eating habits I stick to:

- 800 to 1200 calories a day

- 60 grams of Protein a day minimum

- 64 oz. of Water a day minimum

- no non-natural sugar

- no more than 20 grams of fat a day

- no more than 100 grams of carbs a day

- no white carbs (sugar, flour, rice, bread and potatoes)

- no chewing gum

- no caffiene

- no carbonation

- no using straws with drinks

- no alcoholic drinks

- no sugar alcohols (like sugar free candy, etc)

I promise, it's easier than it sounds!

Honestly, Melody, easier than it sounds is not the point... it sounds bland and boring and a recipe for long term failure. The point is to be able to eat in moderation and maintain for the remainder of your life. To never have coffee, tea, gum, a glass of wine or a piece of candy sounds WAY too restrictive.