Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bodybugg users report here!

BodyBugg Question: I'm soon to be banded, so as a newbie which purchase do you recommend first:

A treadmill (I like using them in the past and want one at my office so I'll use it very day before I go home)

OR

A BodyBugg??

Here's the twist ... I have three damaged disks in my back which make waking difficult. I used crutches for anything over a short distance. My weight loss will improve that condition, so it shouldn't be too long before I'll be able to start using the treadmill. AND ... As far as logging-in exercise to my BodyBugg, there wont be much of that at first, until I'm able to walk again.

You can see why I'm torn. If long-term banders felt like the BodyBugg was a something they wished they had from the beginning, I'll probably get one now and get the treadmill later. If it's more of a tool to motivate after you've hit a plateaus, then maybe I should go with the treadmill to get me started exercising again.

All suggestions appreciated!!!! Thank You!!!!

When I exercise in the morning, I'm hungry all day long, which implies to me that my metabolism is working faster on these days. Ditto with days where I eat Breakfast first thing, as opposed to waiting until 10 or 11 to have my first food. During my run this morning, I was thinking that we could probably test that theory (which is somewhat debated in nutrition circles, from my reading at least) using our BodyBuggs. Meaning, does a comparison of similar days where we exercise in the morning, as opposed to the evening, reveal that more overall calories are burned in that 24 hour period? Or is the difference negligeable? Likewise, comparing days where cals in are constant, do we truly burn more cals when we eat first thing, or is the difference negligeable?

I'd be interested to see what "stats" you guys have, if you feel like joining me in testing these theories!

Julie,

Your question really got me wondering... so I went back and checked over the past three weeks to see which days I burned the most calories. When I walked on the treadmill around 8 am in the morning, my calories burned averaged between 3200- 3500. When I waited until 2 pm or later my calories burned were about 2300.

I also noticed that days when I exercised early, I am more active the entire day.

I think that would be an interesting experiment. I would somehow like to measure muscle and fat and see if you can really boost your metabolism by building muscle. We'll see about that. For now, I'll try and figure out if morning or evening exercise makes a difference!

BodyBugg Question: I'm soon to be banded, so as a newbie which purchase do you recommend first:

A treadmill (I like using them in the past and want one at my office so I'll use it very day before I go home)

OR

A BodyBugg??

Here's the twist ... I have three damaged disks in my back which make waking difficult. I used crutches for anything over a short distance. My weight loss will improve that condition, so it shouldn't be too long before I'll be able to start using the treadmill. AND ... As far as logging-in exercise to my BodyBugg, there wont be much of that at first, until I'm able to walk again.

You can see why I'm torn. If long-term banders felt like the BodyBugg was a something they wished they had from the beginning, I'll probably get one now and get the treadmill later. If it's more of a tool to motivate after you've hit a plateaus, then maybe I should go with the treadmill to get me started exercising again.

All suggestions appreciated!!!! Thank You!!!!

I'd get the treadmill. I love my BodyBugg, but I didn't need it at the beginning of my WL. It's been of great use to me in breaking plateaus now that I'm nearing goal, but in the first 3/4 of the WL journey, I wouldn't have needed the BB at all. Tracking food intake and getting SOME exercise was enough until recently.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery!

So, I've been lurking at this post for awhile and just have a few questions..

Im a poor college student that doesnt have 300 dollars to spend, and I want to make sure this is a good investment.. before I save up and spend it!

Is it really worth the money?

Is it easy to track what you eat?

User friendly?

thanks!

Becky: I agree with you. It seems that early morning exercise burns more calories. You are burning a lot more calories than me! When I walk for 3 miles, see the trainer and am very active, I barely reach 3000 calories. How old are you and what are you doing for exercise? I'm a bit bummed about this!

I met with my body bugg coach finally! I learned some interesting things. I didn't reach my goal by .5 pounds and was disappointed but I learned something very valuable. Even though I thought I was recording accurately, when we used the actually calories burned versus calories logged it appears that I was under reporting my calorie intake. I'm sure that this under reporting was the times that I eat out and couldn't measure and didn't know what hidden calories were lurking in the food I was eating. What the counselor pointed out that was very enlighting to me was that if I had eaten just 100 calories less a day I would have lost the additional half pound. Now that gives you something to think about, becuase burning another 100 calories or eating 100 less is a very doable proposition. I think that I need to just plan on reporting more than I think I'm eating, try to eat out less and be just a tad more active. Anyone else have any insights about this subject?

Yeah, Karey, I hear ya -- I'm jealous over Becky's calories burned too! When I ran 12 miles last Saturday and had an otherwise fairly active day, I still only burned 3100. I usually burn around 2800, including substantial gym time each day. I guess we're all different. Fortunately, most days I'm satisfied on 900 or so cals, so it's fine.

Today though, I've got a date and we're going to a Mexican restaurant, so (1) it'll be hard to estimate cals in and (2) I'm taking my bugg off for the date. I hope it's worth it!

Punkey, Others may disagree, but if I were a college student on a budget, I'd save my money for other things. I enjoy my BB and find it motivational, but you can get pretty darn close with measuring your cals in and exercise without spending the $$$. I consider my BB an unnecessary but fun weightloss tool.

Well, I've been banded (7/25) and I'm doing really well. The next 'band' that I will be getting will be my BodyBugg.

And I will be sure to let you know when I do eventually get it.

Karey: I am 41 years old. Most of my exercise is walking on the treadmill or mowing my yard. I was really surprised how many calories mowing burns up. But I think the reason I am burning so many calories is because I weigh so much. With each pound I lose, it is getting harder and harder to burn as many calories.

I almost bought a bugg on ebay yesterday, but after figuring it out, I can get a new one for cheaper.. I'm trying to convince my mom to buy me one for my birthday.. im hoping to sell some of my expensive purses on ebay to rally up the money! :)

I'll update soon.

Punkey: Good luck getting the BB!

It is hard to figure out calories when eating out. I think that I do best when I don't eat out. That seems impossible, with all the traveling and busy life style that we have. I guess that you just have to make the best choices.

Julie: Hope your date was worth it. You need to PM me with your address so I can send your surprise to NYC!

OK, I took a few days off from my Bugg because I was traveling and couldn't accurtely log my food. Now I'm back and ready to Bugg again. I'm going to be really accurate with it until I drop 3 lbs -- that will put me in the TEENS from goal! Woohoo! Come on, 155!!!

Anybody else looking for a Bugg mini-challenge?

Julie,

I would love a bb mini challenge!! what kind? weight or activity?

I was thinking weight. I promise to wear my BB every second and track all of my food perfectly until I lose 3 lbs (which could take a while -- I lose in chunks and I lost my chunk last week).

What is your mini-challenge, losingjusme?

Betty, are you in?