Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Arkansas Bansters!!!

Hello Arkansas gang, I just found this forum and am so glad we have one for folks from AR. I live in Malvern and was banded on Nov. 30th. Dr. Wellborn did my surgery. I am very happy with him and his staff. His wife, Suzan works in his office and is a registered bariatic nurse. She has been very helpful during the whole thing. I have heard that Dr. Luttrell is a good dr. as well. I get my first fill on Jan 8th. I can not wait because I am getting so hungry. All those folks that have written in the forums about not having any hunger..wow, wish I had not. Actually, it did not take long for me to start getting hungry. Thought I was gonna starve during the liquid phase. THat has been the worst thing so far for me. How are all of you doing? Please let me know. Take care, Brenda

Welcome, welcome, welcome,

I am always happy to see Arkansas people. I am also happy to see you are my age. Why? I guess it should not make a difference but it is nice to have people that may experience similar things.

I was banded by Dr. Wellborn on Sept. 25th. I have lost 29 lbs. so far. It has been slow but I am satisfied for the time being. I live in Conway. Tell me all about yourself. How are you doing so far?

Suzanne

welcome from me also. i was banded 10/18 by wellborn. not to be discouraging, but i will be honest..i lost 12 lbs and gained it back. i have not lost anymore, and i weigh exactly the same as i did the day of surgery. however, i have only had one fill. be patient..and do not miss your fill appointments (i missed from being sick). although i like dr. wellborn's staff a lot, they are very busy and if you miss an appointment you will have a hard time getting back in.

ok,...now that all sounded negative and that is not how i am. be patient, the hunger will go away ..no i am not losing yet, but i am less hungry. try not to beat yourself up if you hit a plateau it only compounds the problem.

good luck..let us know if you need anything!!!

Here I sit in the hotel room waiting for 5:30 am tomorrow morning! I am so full of any and every emotion imaginable. LOL I am so ready for my band day!! Hope everyone is doing great and I will post more after surgery.

momma thing..how did it go????

Hello, good to hear from you. I had my surgery on Nov. 30th. I have lost 15 pounds. I was hoping I would had lost more by now but I am thankful for the 15. I am hoping the first fill I get on Jan. 8th will help some. I am scheduled for two more fills two weeks apart. Surely by the 3rd fill, I will be at the "sweet spot". I did not like the first 2 weeks of liquids.. I was soooooo glad to get to the next stage. Take care and keep me posted on how you are doing. Brenda

I am from northeast Arkansas and was thinking about using Dr. William McAlexander. He works at St. Bernard's in Jonesboro and I figured that since he was close it would be another great point. I really liked his seminar on the tenth of July. He was wonderful and I was just wondering how everyone else from my home state was handling things and if anyone had every heard of him.

Hi, I got banded on 12/19/07 by Dr. McAlexander. When did you have your lab-band?

Hello, my name is Brenda. I had my banding done Nov. 30th. How are you doing since your surgery? I have lost only 16 pounds but that is surely a good start. I get my first fill on Jan. 8th. I can't wait. I really do get hungry. Do you have to stay on 800-100 calories per day like I have to? Good luck, Brenda

Hi, I got banded on 12/19/07 by Dr. McAlexander. When did you have your lab-band?

Hello again. I forgot to tell you I did not have to be on a special diet before surgery. I would have lost more if I had but my dr., Dr. Wellborn, Little Rock,AR. said with my BMI only being 41 he did not feel my liver was too large and therefore I did not have to be on any special diet before surgery. Brenda

Hello Arkansas Bandsters. I live in AR but was banded in TX. I live close to the state line. Had my surgery in Texarkana, Dr. Rachele Keilin, (Precision Surgery). Her husband and her do surgery together, (Dr. Ron Heiker) I love everything about them so far. They assist one another. It was all very slow going for me too. But things are picking up for me now. I think I am getting to the proper restriction now. Everyones anatomy is different. It has only been in the last couple of fills, especially the last one, that I have felt truly restricted. I have a friend that was restricted before her first fill. So, like I said, it is different for everyone. Don't get discouraged if it is slow at first. I go back for my 6th filll tomorrow, doubt I'll need much. Maybe just a "tweak." I am almost 10 months out. I am hoping to change my ticker tomorrow after my docs visit. I should have done much better, but the after holiday leftovers are killing me. I plan on getting back to normal this week. Everyone take care, and hang in there.

HI there every one in Arkansas! I am considering a band and hve been to Dr. Wellburns seminar and was impressed. But i found out that Dr. Gibbs and Dr. John Baker are preferred providers for Federal BCBS-- nad SURPRISE Federal BCBS now COVERS lap band surgery !!! OMG !! is it possibel i could have this done and have my insurance actually PAY for it?!?!

Looking forward to hearing from all of you!!

I am starkiss_319 on Yahoo if anyone wants to chat.

i'm considering getting the lap-band surgery and live in north east arkansas. I went to the Dr. Bruce Jones seminar and he said total cost was 15,000. Problem is my insurance will only pay 4,000. Since you had yours done by st. Bernard's do you know what other financing options they have. Any info will help. Thanks

i'm considering getting the lap-band surgery and live in north east arkansas. I went to the Dr. Bruce Jones seminar and he said total cost was 15,000. Problem is my insurance will only pay 4,000. Since you had yours done by st. Bernard's do you know what other financing options they have. Any info will help. Thanks

My insurance pays 4000 at 50%. Dr. McAlexander has care credit that you can apply for. I borrowed part of my money. It is about 5000 up front. part to surgeon and part to hosp. SBMC requires it be paid upfront.

Wait on the insurance . Well worth the wait, if they are like Blue Cross they will mark off almost all of the cost. I am trying to think how much I paid, like maybe 1200.00 to the doctor and about 1500.00 to the hospital.

Be sure and find out if DR Jones is contracted with BCBS, if he is he will have to write off whatever he is contracted with BCBS. Dr McAlexander is contracted and had to write off some of what he charged.