Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Closet Space!

As a show of faith, and a determined mindset, I cleaned out my closet this week! Something I hadn't done in years (it needed it BADLY).

It took several nights...it was hard to let go of some things. But it was EASY to get rid of those size 24-28 outfits! I tried on many things...it was good to see that most were loose and looked bad. Sometimes I get too wrapped up in the numbers on the scale, not the physical changes. I filled four 39 gallon trash sacks with clothes that I know will never fit again (or I am hoping)! There were even some shoes that seemed big.

I am 5 months out from surgery on the 19th of this month, and have lost 50lbs. so far. Yeah, there were things I probably still could wear, but it was part of my commitment to turn those baggies loose...and greatly diminish my options! Even found a pair of size 18 (albeit stretch) jeans I can fit into.

Yes, I am a clothes hoarder...I've probably still have some size 6's and 8's from my 20's (hit 50 this year)! But those are in a different closet. I hope to be dressing out of that closet in the future!

To feel like I'll never wear the big girl clothes again...that's wonderful. I hope I didn't clean out too soon.

My closet is about half full. Must go shopping...but I'll wait...for the weight to come off!

An aside...now my DH doesn't get to hear my complain about my limited closet space anymore!

Anyone else done some closet cleaning?:(

You bet!! All my life the closet has been full of clothes that were too small. About 3 months into this I cleaned out all the baggies and was amazed at all the clothes I could wear from the "back" of it! Now, once again, the closet is full of clothes too small.....of course that's by choice!!!! I go to garage sales as often as possible and buy clothes one to two sizes too small and put them towards the back. It's a great feeling.....congrats on your weight loss and before long your closet will be empty!!

I had some jeans that I had saved too. Those suckers were high waisted!!!! I gave them to good will . Sorry goodwill. I went and bought new stylish jeans. I think they are called mid rise. I deserved new clothes.

Just a thought,

edie

Great loss Cindi. Yes, get rid of them. I too am a close hoarder. I have styles from the 80s. lol! I have absolutely gotten rid of my too big clothes and I will never miss them. I am still hoarding some things that are still sylish and too small, but slowly, I am getting down to only what I wear.

I have bought some new things on my way down only to regret spending the money on something that I didn't wear for long. I am now within 30 pounds of goal, and I HAD to get some capris for this summer. I have only 2 pair, because I know they will not fit me next year. I will just keep up with my laundry and mix and match tops.

My only regret was not keeping one pair of pants at my highest with which to compare my progress. But on the other hand, I sure don't miss them by any means......

Like Eddieparks did, my inspiration and July bandster buddy, I look forward to reaching goal and going out to buy some stylish new clothes...who hoo!

A simple sugestion for those that need clothes but don't want to spend a ton on new stuff for one season. I found a local resale shop and "rent" my clothes there. I buy what I need and then re-donate it when I'm done with it. I get nice things cheap and a good tax write off too. ~Mandy

if i was down 50# i'd be in onederland!

cindi i love the way you think and write.

i read what you advised on another thread

and had to look at your posts.

do you think that you are more clear-headed

in your decisions the further into this you've gotten?

i went to a post-op support group the day before yesterday

and one lady said that she has short term memory loss

since surgery... i don't feel as muddled as before.

I cleaned out my closet as well. I was looking pretty ridiculous wearing the big baggy clothes. I've been shopping at the local thrift store because I find that I haven't been in a size for more than a month. People at work keep telling me that I must be on a shopping spree because I keep wearing 'new' clothes. But it's just that I've changed sizes and needed new clothes. I've gone down 5 sizes since the end of April. I do find that my style is changing. There is so many more cute clothes in the smaller sizes. Jeanie:whoo:

my DH keeps asking where did you get that?

and i say out of my closet...

i'm fitting into clothes i haven't been able to wear in

so long they don't look familiar to him or anyone else LOL

I remember when I cleaned out my drawers and closet. It took me quite a few bag fulls to empty them. I've had to do that 3 times already. Good for you.

I cleaned out my closet quite a bit last weekend. I gave my best friend my clothes. I was reluctant to do so because I still have the mind set that this is not really a lasting solution even though in my mind I know it is.

I felt sad for my friend because I have been losing and she has been gaining. While getting rid of all of those clothes felt fabulous I couldnt really show my best friend who I share almost everything with how excited I really was.

I have been filling my closet with 16's and even some 14's for future use by shopping at Goodwill. I refuse to pay top dollar for a temp clothing size. I have found a lot of really nice shirts and work pants for well under $5 an item.

Well, I have cleaned out my closet several times, but funny, now that I am within 15 pounds of my goal, it seems to be filling up again. :nervous

if i was down 50# i'd be in onederland!

cindi i love the way you think and write.

i read what you advised on another thread

and had to look at your posts.

do you think that you are more clear-headed

in your decisions the further into this you've gotten?

i went to a post-op support group the day before yesterday

and one lady said that she has short term memory loss

since surgery... i don't feel as muddled as before.

LoserWannaB,

That would definately suck (losing memory)! My age alone works against me in the memory category! Never heard of that happening after this surgery...my MIL suffers from it after chemo treatments, but I digress.

If anything, I feel 'clearer' headed, but more aptly put, I am throwing myself into my life more, and enjoying everyday. Not hiding, just putting myself out there. I feel "fresher", if that makes any sense!

I have had another closet purging since my first post, and it was way more exciting! Ragdoll, I know what you mean. I have a friend who wants my old clothes, as she too has been gaining. It just feels weird. I also worry that I may need them again...but need to toss out that defeatest attitude with the clothes!

Went ahead and bought 2 pairs of dress slacks (brown and blask), 3 pairs of capri's, and 2 pairs of jeans. All cheapo...they should hold me for a while. My top half is not shrinking as quickly as my bottom half. Guess I better get over to the 'other side' of the gym!

Great fun is shopping in regular sizes...16's and 18's. Gawd, haven't seen those sizes in &*$%# years!

In the begining I was sad getting rid of my too big clothes, but now I love doing it. I go back into my closet every other week or so and pull out a few more pieces to get rid of. I keep emptying closet space and dresser drawers more and more. I have gotten rid of over 20 13gallon trash bags full of clothes over the last 9 months. Now, it is just hard keeping up with buying new ones to replace what I have gotten rid of! :clap2: