Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering weight loss surgery, need feedback from those who've had it.

I didn't even consider the band. After hearing the lifestyle differences in my face to face support group and watching a few friends struggle with their bands, stop filling them have them removed, I just wasn't interested. I needed a permanent solution to eat less and didn't want a foreign object in me that needed constant monitoring. I'm aware that some folks do really well with them, but my doc was doing fewer and fewer bands in favor of the sleeve and with better results so I eventually chose the sleeve and could not be happier with the results. WLS does help control physical hunger, but that's not what most of us have a problem with. It's the "head hunger" or plain old over eating. The sleeve cannot help you with the former, but is an effective deterrent to the latter. Life now is... different. I love to cook now, probably more than I did before because I have the freedom to choose quality over quantity. I can tolerate pretty much whatever I want but I know I'm only gonna get a little bit so I make what I get count, using real butter, real eggs etc where I used to live on scads of "substitute" food. Now, at a year and 1/2 out, I DO get hungry, but it's not the same. I eat to live now father than the reverse. I don't have to worry about the occasional indulgence because I know it won't be an OVER indulgence and as long as I keep balance in my life by not indulging EVERY whim and maintaining a light exercise routine, I can maintain nicely and never feel like I'm missing out. Life at goal is GOOD!

Zackly I dont have alot to add to what has been said except this, i loved to eat out and entertain and to tcook. i watch chopped, great british baking show, etc etc. now im two months post op for the sleeve, and my meals are not as creative as they were because of lack of starches. BUT that has made me more creative and i now eat thing i never wouldve imagined, hummus, edamame, chickpeas, heck i made a chili the other day and as im not fond of kidney Beans i used small white Beans ( like navy beans but smaler) and i double dup on the onions and added some finely diced celery as well. it came out amazing. I have lost close to 90 pounds since my pre op, and i went from a 5xl shirt and 4 xl pants to two days ago i bought and fit into a 2xl shirt and regular XL pants. I wasnt insulin dependent but i was pre diabetic and now my blood sugar is perfect, my neuropathy is light years better, i used to walk with two canes one to use and one just in case, now i dont need either and I ride the exercise bike for 6 to 7 miles 4 times a week and d a circuit strength training 4 times a week as well. My leg vein problem is gone, my back pain is extremely better, OK enough about me. Here my most important thought, if you do this you are going to need to replace food with something else. like all those thing you listed that you want to do again, golf etc. this surgery will help you over come the hunger and it will help you get to where you can do those things again, just be sure to actually do them, i now take guitar lessons, and build models and stuff like that, as well as going to the gym, the oint i want to make is the surgery can give you the hand you need to get where you want to be but you have to get over food being the big part of your life that it is and make something else take its place. Goo dluck!

You Can Do This!

I haven't read everyone's posts, so I may be repeating what others have said....

I'm 4 months post op. I had the gastric by-pass. I should preface by telling you I also had the lap band done back in 2008. Over 2 years I lost 85 pounds, and then began having issues. Ending up gaining back a good 45 WITH the band in, then ended up having it removed because of complications from it in 2013.

Then quickly gained another 25, and during that time looked into having the bypass done. (and I was still hungry with the band)

For me, I chose the bypass because my BIG temptation and downfall is sweets and I knew from several friends/family that had the surgery, they couldn't eat sweets like they used to. I was willing to give those up in order to maintain control of my eating. (and I have had to give up a lot of sweet stuff. I can eat a tiny amount and be ok)

So like I said, I'm 4 months post-op. I've lost 67 pounds and I'm about 20-25 pounds away from my ideal weight. (if I lose more, fine, but if I can get in the 160's I'll be happy)

I would have to say it's only been in the last 3-4 weeks that I can actually say I'm glad I had the surgery. I had a difficult recovery. So. much. nausea. I was dehydrated, requiring IV fluids 3 times, had an infection in one of my incisions and really just had so many moments of saying, "What the F@*K have I done?!"

But now I can say I am SO thankful I had it done. I'd still go back and do it again.

I have a whole new set of issues with food now. I am NEVER hungry. I get to where I'm a little light headed and my stomach "feels empty" (not like hunger used to be) so I know I need to eat something, but no more head hunger at all.

I'd honestly be happy if I never had to eat. I have no real enjoyment in eating anymore. ( I don't know that that's the norm?) I guess that's a good and bad thing. I don't depend on food anymore to make me "feel" something, or I don't "need" food socially like I did before.

I have a heck of time getting in enough calories in a day to keep me from being exhausted. I have yet to REALLY work out. I don't have enough energy to do so.

Just yesterday I went to meet with a trainer to see what I could do so I could start building some muscle back. I've lost SO much. So I'll start doing some of that slowly.

If I eat too fast or even eat just 1 bite too much, I'm instantly nauseous. I really have to take my time and pay attention to my body so I realize when I'm full. And it gets easier every day.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do!!

I find these posts really comforting. I go to sleep and wake up thinking about my upcoming surgery and feeling very anxious and stressed until I read what has been posted. Seeing the positive replys and stories really helps. I just wish I could just get over the fear.

At least I get to feel braver while being here with all of you.

@k9nana--You'll do great!! This board has been a life saver for me!

Are you having the bypass or sleeve done?

@@amylynns I'm having the sleeve next Tuesday along with a hiatal hernia repair. The Dr. wanted me to do the bypass because I might have some reflux but I said no to the bypass. I read the sleeve is less of a surgery and since I only needed to loose 60 ish pounds I decided that was the one for me. But I'm still freaked out :(

I had severe reflux (barrett's esophagus) and a hiatal hernia also. So that was another reason I did want to do the bypass.

HOWEVER....I still have the flippin reflux and they said I'd have to be on meds for it forever because of the Barrett's. I was not pleased with that.

Yes, the sleeve is much less evasive. I have a good friend who had the sleeve and she's done WONDERFUL with it!

She did have a few rough weeks right after surgery, just hard time getting in fluids and enough food. But that's pretty normal for us all. Just sip, sip, sip! :-)

amylynns, thank you for sharing your experience and your friend's. I'm happy to hear that you are doing so well. I need all the positive input I can get.

The Dr. did say that I might have to be on reflux meds too. He's surprised that I don't have bad reflux now with the size of the hernia but I rarely have refux unless I eat too much. He said if my hernia was any larger he wouldn't do the sleeve. So I guess I'm lucky in that way.

You're welcome. :)

Hopefully you won't have to be on any meds!

Good luck with your surgery!!

Thank you! I can't wait until this is all behind me. And I can focus on getting healthy and living life.

Hello, I’m a soon to be 65 y/o male considering bariatric surgery. I'm 5'10" about 240 lbs. My primary motivation is for weight loss which should improve my blood sugar control and overall health. I have been insulin dependent for over ten years and need ever increasing quantities of two types insulin(Lantus & Humalog) to keep my blood sugar in check. I am retired and live a sedentary lifestyle, mostly because I lack energy. I also have high blood pressure, high triglycerides, high cholesterol, diabetic neuropathy, diabetic retinopathy, compromised kidney function. I will be eligible for Medicare in March. My current health insurance does not cover this type of surgery (Obamacare). I do have several concerns about surgery. When I attended the surgeon’s seminar I asked the question “I think most people in this auditorium will tell you they eat because they are hungry. I have a tremendous appetite. My idea of Hell is being hungry and not being able to eat enough food to satisfy my appetite.” He told me that the band does not affect your appetite but the gastric sleeve and bypass do reduce your hunger by increasing or decreasing two hormones, ghrelin being one of them. Now, I’m a born skeptic and this doctor, who seems to be pushing the sleeve over the other two, obviously has a horse in the race. That is why I’m on this forum, to get information from people who’ve had the surgery. I’m a retired chef and have been in the food business all my life. It's a huge part of my identity.I’m afraid that I won’t want to or be able to prepare & eat interesting food that I love. I also love to entertain and dine out. For the last year I’ve been trying to eating low-carb with pretty good success. My blood sugar has improved but I’m not living the life I want to be. Up until recently I was very active, cycling, golfing, fishing, yard work, working out, etc. Now I lack the energy I need to do these things. I’m hoping that losing 40-50 pounds will make me healthier and give me more energy. Do you think it will? Thank you very much!

I like to cook, and go out to dinner frequently. I'd say I am eating everything I ate pre surgery just in much smaller quantities. The surgery definitely worked for me. Yes I have more energy. By the time I came home from the hospital my feet were no longer swollen. Even better my chronic uterica is in check for the first time in years! Prior to surgery I had a severe hives outbreak at least once a week. Since surgery I've had one and that was from trying to go off the daily dose of Zyrtec D.

Edited by BLERDgirl

@@mae7365, my surgeon said that, to reduce the chances of having reflux, post-ops shouldn't be eating after 7:00pm. Another recommendation was to put blocks under the legs of the bed in the front so you're not lying perfectly flat.

Do it! That's all :)

I had lapband 2 years ago and I was diabetic, on metformin twice a day . I was 66 and did not want major surgery. Had a friend who died from bypass and have several friends who had the sleeve and initially did good but developed complications. Every WLS has drawbacks just do what is comfortable for you. There are many on this forum who have had their bands for 10 or more years. Alex the creator of Bariatric pal is one of them. I am sure if you messaged him he would give you advice. Best of Luck.

Glad you are asking questions and checking weight loss surgery (WLS) out. This is a great place to get a lot of opinions!

Here is one more opinion---I had continual complications with my lap band for 10 yrs and just had a revision to sleeve in jan. Short story of lap-band-I hurt every minute of those 10 yrs. Now for the 1st time in 10 yrs my stomach and belly does not hurt. And that is after major sleeve surgery.

I just heard this and wish I had heard it 10 yrs before........when you look at the statistics for complications after 3 months after WLS surgery, the lap-band has the most ongoing complications and problems. Yes, the others sleeve, bypass etc have more in the first 3 months but the band by far has the most after. A foreign body in your belly that can slip, erode, get covered in scar tissue...a port that turns and hurts.....well just had to say that.

As for cooking----I never cooked before my sleeve and now I am! I'm always looking for receipts that are healthy and taste good, easy to make, and can be made in small batches. It's still early in my sleeve life but I think cooking will be fun

Zakly, I bet as a chief you can cook up an amazing book of receipts for us WLS folks.