Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you develop GERD or did it get worse after VSG?

I posted this somewhere - I thought here but couldn't find it. Sorry if this is posted elsewhere.

Research has shown that GERD can develop or get worse after VSG. Has this happened to anyone?

I am having second thoughts about this surgery due to this (going from band to sleeve)- having been diagnosed with GERD and small hiatal hernia years ago. I take nexium and have not had symptoms for years (well, I did with the band at one point but that is another story). Also the NO NSAIDS is problematic for me as I have chronic back pain and arthritis (I am 64). Not a lot of options for pain management that work.

My GERD has actually been better since the surgery. I am taking omeprazole (scrip sent home with me from hospital). It must be working. But I also think my healthier diet and no coffee is helping a lot too!

I hear you about the NSAID's. I have a shoulder problem I'm dealing with. My PCP has sent me to a physical therapist since I can't take any of the good stuff. It seems to be helping.

I would suggest you talk to your PCP and surgeon about your concerns. Maybe the surgery will help with the back pain?

I had weight-induced GERD and heartburn pre-op. At higher weights it was an issue, at lower weights it was not (I was a yoyo dieter so my weight fluctuated a LOT). Since surgery, the GERD has been pretty consistent, even as I've dropped below a weight were it was no longer an issue in the past. I take omeprazole daily and that keeps it in check, but the few times I've tried to go off it, the GERD kicked in right away.

*Knocks on wood* I'm surprised that I haven't developed GERD post op. I am still less than 2 months out so that might change but so far I have none.

Studies I read (this was 3 years ago, so check for updates) that as much as 30% of sleevers need to be on PPI longer term. A few need to revise to bypass since it so severe. The thing is, it spikes between years 3-6 post op. I theorize because by then people are more likely to overeat/eat too fast.

I never had GERD or reflux until i was banded and it was the combination of restriction with overeating/eating too late that did it. Other than the first few months post op with sleeve I have not had excess acid and knock on wood that continues.

I thought long and hard about it. This is my SECOND WLS, I don't want to revise again! I decided to take the risk and so far no regrets (I am 3 years out) but it is one reason I really watch portions.

If it is a real worry for you - look into the bypass - it is one of the benefits of that surgery.

I had GERD pre-op and took PPI regularly, post-op I still do. It has not gotten any worse. Rather now I don't get heart burn, rather funny tummy feeling that tells me I havent taken my dose today.

I had a problem with "regurgitation" before, no heartburn or anything, and was diagnosed with GERD (years before my surgery). I did not realize until after the fact that it had a chance of getting worse with the sleeve (surgeon never bothered to mention it to me). Guess I should have done my homework, because it definitely got worse with the sleeve. Not only am I regurgitating still, I am now experiencing heartburn and acid coming up when I'm laying down in bed, causing me to gag and choke. He kept me on liquids after surgery for 6 weeks, hoping my sleeve would "loosen up" a little and relieve the symptoms, but to no avail. I am on Omeprazole 2X a day, and that seems to help a little, but I know I am going to have to eventually see a Gastroenterologist and see what they can do.

Like CowgirlJane said, I can definitely control the severity of it by how fast, how much, and what I eat. For right now, I'm concentrating on losing the weight and seeing if that helps relieve some of the symptoms. If not, to the Gastro I go! Converting to a bypass at this point is not even on my radar until I can exhaust all other options, but we shall see! Good Luck to you!

**Edit**

I really believe that, had I known that GERD sometimes got worse with the sleeve, I would have opted for the bypass. But hindsight is 20/20 ;)

Edited by Babbs

I did not have GERD before my sleeve surgery. I started having heartburn a few weeks after my surgery, but took Zantac daily to get rid of it. I quit taking it about 2.5 months out and haven't had any problems since.

My mom had to take Prilosec for the first year after her sleeve surgery. I honestly think it just depends on the individual and what you're eating and drinking.