Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded in less than a week... How long to get back to "normal?"

I can't believe it's finally here! I started this whole process back in August 2006. I just had my last appointment with the nutritionist before the surgery, and tomorrow I'm going grocery shopping to stock up on all the liquid goodies for the first two weeks. I'm really excited to be joining the ranks of the rest of the bandsters! :biggrin1:

Besides just sharing my excitement, I wanted to ask if anyone has any last minute advice on surgery day or adjusting to being banded? How long did it take you to get back to relatively normal?

I am embarrassed to admit this but I work in a kind of hostile work environment where I won't be able to disclose that I'm having the surgery. It has nothing to do with being embarrassed about having the surgery (all my family and close friends and anyone who is important to me in my life knows and shares my excitement) but more about that my boss is a miserable woman who tries to make things difficult for me and would use this against me if she knew. I can't leave my job due to my excellent health insurance (I have Crohn's and my treatments are $1500/mo covered by insurance), so I'm stuck here for a while, unfortunately. I plan on taking off for a week after the surgery; do you think that I will be feeling well enough to fake being normal after a week? Do you have any advice on ways to avoid PBing or other complications at work (or is that even an issue the first two weeks on the liquid phase)?

I really appreciate any advice. I don't really know what to expect.

Thanks for reading! :o

I had my surgery on a wed. (may 2nd 07) and went to work on Friday for 2 hours to check email. Then on Monday I went back and worked a full 10 hours, and for that week I had more than 60 hours.

Make sure when you go out you buy gas x strips and liquid tylenol. I didn't use any of the hydrocodone they gave me post op, but used Tylenol instead.

It took me about 2 full weeks until I started feeling "normal", back to my normal sleeping pattern, etc. etc. You will do great. It is so much fun to go to the doctors now and get on the scale.

I had my surgery on a wed. (may 2nd 07) and went to work on Friday for 2 hours to check email. Then on Monday I went back and worked a full 10 hours, and for that week I had more than 60 hours.

Make sure when you go out you buy gas x strips and liquid tylenol. I didn't use any of the hydrocodone they gave me post op, but used Tylenol instead.

It took me about 2 full weeks until I started feeling "normal", back to my normal sleeping pattern, etc. etc. You will do great. It is so much fun to go to the doctors now and get on the scale.

Hey, Chefschoon,

Thanks for the reply and advice. It sounds like you had a really speedy recovery! Did you do anything special to get yourself back to normal so fast? I will call my pharmacist about getting the liquid Tylenol and GasX strips you suggested - thanks for the tip!

It looks like from your ticker you've had some great progress so far! Congrats! :rolleyes:

~Peanut

I just got some great advice from a recent bandster. She started taking Gas-X a week before her surgery every day. Then continued to take it after surgery along with walking. She said she has had no discomfort except for a little soreness. I hope your surgery and recovery go great!

I had my surgery a little over a week ago (May 25) and feel fine! I was sore for the first couple of days, but I think the answer is WALK, WALK, WALK! I had an extra day in hospital because I got sick, but once I was home, a little soreness and all was well. I never needed Gas-X or the pain meds. I also am a big fan of the spirometer that they give you in the hospital. I feel pretty confident that this played a huge role in helping keep my lungs clear and me feeling good.

Had my first cottage cheese yesterday and boy was it yummy! I'm so very glad I did this!

Could you just admit that you are on a liquid diet? Would that cover the "strange" foods you will be eating?

edie

Hi, Edie,

Yes, that's a really good idea. I did do a liquid diet a few years ago for a couple months, so I could say that I'm doing that again. Even when I do reach the blended foods part, I could still continue drinking Protein drinks/other liquids during work. (This might also take care of my other issue of being afraid to PB or vomit at work.)

Thanks for your input and congratulations on your progress! :clap2: I hope I do as well as you. I'm jealous!

~Lucy (Peanut)

I just got some great advice from a recent bandster. She started taking Gas-X a week before her surgery every day. Then continued to take it after surgery along with walking. She said she has had no discomfort except for a little soreness. I hope your surgery and recovery go great!

Great advice! I will be sure to get some and get started taking it! :rolleyes: Thanks for your well wishes, too.

~Lucy (Peanut)

I had my surgery a little over a week ago (May 25) and feel fine! I was sore for the first couple of days, but I think the answer is WALK, WALK, WALK! I had an extra day in hospital because I got sick, but once I was home, a little soreness and all was well. I never needed Gas-X or the pain meds. I also am a big fan of the spirometer that they give you in the hospital. I feel pretty confident that this played a huge role in helping keep my lungs clear and me feeling good.

Had my first cottage cheese yesterday and boy was it yummy! I'm so very glad I did this!

Congratulations on your surgery! I'm glad to hear that you had such a quick recovery, too. I will be sure to keep moving when I get home.

You have a great attitude about things and I'm sure you'll continue to do great! Keep me posted on your progress! :star:

~Lucy (Peanut)