Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Illness and appetite

You would think that being sick would make me lose my appetite. Starting a few days ago, I have a cold, mild fever and I am crazy hungry! i decided yesterday to eat more than normal as i feel it is my body telling me it needs more to heal. I am curious if anyone else has noticed this?

Other than some digestion issues, i am sick so much less since being sleeved 3 years ago - it's great and incredible. This cold isn't much fun, but I seem to have moved out of the chills into just coughing so I am okay.

Feel better soon, CGJ.

A fever usually makes you hungry, as it burns up a lot more energy. You should definitely eat if you are feeling true hunger.

I'm 2.5 years out and haven't had a cold since surgery... I used to always have at least one per year.. and bad ones at that. Well pleased - hoping it lasts. I wonder if it has anything to do with all the Vitamins and supplements that I now take...?

This is my first veterans' post:) -greetings to all!

I am 15 months out & managed to maintain in my goal range from months 5 thru 13 with a 3 pound gain at Christmas. Then I got the SICKEST I have ever been in January. I stopped tracking & walking & ate to heal & comfort myself (and had to take steroids) and gained .........another 11 pounds for a total of 14!!! I was in SHOCK. I have been scrupulously tracking & 5:2-ing for 3 weeks now & am (thankfully) down 5 lbs, but it's been WAY harder than when I was freshly sleeved (in terms of hunger, not restriction).

I'm detoxed from all the carbs of January, so I think I'll make it back to goal, but mine should be a cautionary tale for being mindful when sick:/!!!

Best to all & thanks for all the great info here in the veterans area.

Hope you feel better! I always experienced cravings, especially for anything with a strong flavor or texture when I was sick. Maybe part of it was I couldn't taste anything, but also part of it was that I felt like I needed to treat myself since I wasn't feeling well.

Welcome! You should start a thread and introduce yourself to everyone. Those steriods are bad for putting weight on, I have confidence you will get this regain off now that you are well.

This is my first veterans' post:) -greetings to all!

I am 15 months out & managed to maintain in my goal range from months 5 thru 13 with a 3 pound gain at Christmas. Then I got the SICKEST I have ever been in January. I stopped tracking & walking & ate to heal & comfort myself (and had to take steroids) and gained .........another 11 pounds for a total of 14!!! I was in SHOCK. I have been scrupulously tracking & 5:2-ing for 3 weeks now & am (thankfully) down 5 lbs, but it's been WAY harder than when I was freshly sleeved (in terms of hunger, not restriction).

I'm detoxed from all the carbs of January, so I think I'll make it back to goal, but mine should be a cautionary tale for being mindful when sick:/!!!

Best to all & thanks for all the great info here in the veterans area.

In general, I have been really healthy too. I thought maybe I had caught a mild cold until it became obvious I could no longer ignore the chills and fever and body aches.

I'm 2.5 years out and haven't had a cold since surgery... I used to always have at least one per year.. and bad ones at that. Well pleased - hoping it lasts. I wonder if it has anything to do with all the Vitamins and supplements that I now take...?

So this is always an interesting question. I am much better today but I had basically 3 days of overeating (compared to my normal) and then yesterday I was hardly hungry - almost like a balancing out day. Today, so far, I feel normal.

I think my body really did want more food. I felt AWFUL and could not even muster the energy to do my easy go to foods. After eating the greek yogurt in the house I found myself eating the old easy carby foods. You know, a little cold Cereal by the handful. There was some disgusting microwavable mac and cheese thing I buy for the boys that I even ate (Easy Mac or something). That was absolutely atrocious and I will never buy that for them again now that I have sampled it.

My son brought home a pizza and cheesy bread. Because I was feeling so bad, I wasn't making proper meals. I think this can be a good reminder for me how important it is to "eat right" because once you start wandering down a grazing, haphazard way of eating - anything can happen.

Good news is that now that the fever is broke and I am just left with a cough, low energy and a stuffed up nose, I am back to eating my normal way and feel no desire to eat that crappy good. I really think alot of it was just that grazing/never quite satiated/don't feel good enough to address it properly thing.

A fever usually makes you hungry, as it burns up a lot more energy. You should definitely eat if you are feeling true hunger.

Glad you're on the mend, CGJ.

It sucks to be sick.

Spring, come on!

My NUT said to always up your Protein when sick. Your body needs it to heal.

Depends on the kind of "sick". I've been battling a cold and it's not deterred my appetite one bit! I had a stomach thing a couple of months ago and I lost 5 pounds in a week! I'm in maintenance so it was unintended.