Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I doomed to fail? Is the sleeve right for me?

i had my band removed in November and now waiting for the healing process from all the damage the band did to my stomach. I had the band for 9 years and it worked for me great until the band eroded into my stomach and caused some serious damage. THAT was the worse surgery ever!!!! I am still recouping from that surgery, still have 2 small holes in my stomach and the band paralyzed a part of my stomach that will not allow my stomach to empty now. I never had any symptoms there was anything wrong with my band. I noticed i was getting hungry more often and eating more then i should. I now have a surgery date for 3/23 IF my stomach has healed enough for it after my scope on 3/3. I do not worry about eating to much or the sleeve not working cause it's up to me what i put in my mouth. If you eat your Protein first you shouldn't have any problems with no restriction. I have had the same concerns as you but have talked to my dr about these concerns and he has assured me that i have nothing to worry about. Talk to your dr and see if he can give you the insight your wanting. One thing you have to remember is this is all up to you. it's like the band, it's just a tool. You have to work it. I watch what i eat and I work out with a trainer 2 hours a day 5 days a week. I am 40 lbs away from my goal weight and i know this sleeve is going to help me reach that and maintain that. Just got to get your mind set going girl. Good luck!!!

Thank you for the input everyone. Thanks for being nice too!

My band is working, as far as restriction goes and that's why I'm nervous about making a change. I don't want to end up less restricted or more free to eat with the sleeve than I am with the band. It's working for weight maintenance, it just isn't working as far as weightloss (again, my fault because I eat too much and don’t exercise regularly).

Ultimately, I'm tired of dealing with fills, and really tired of being terrified of getting the stomach flu and throwing up (not stuck, but actually sick).

I also worry that I may not always have great insurance, and if things go bad with the band, or I need fills, etc, I won't be covered.

A permanent, one and done, with the sleeve, seems like a better long term option. I wish I had chosen this surgery first.

I am going to take the chance, and do it.

I would actually consider the surgery successful, even if I stayed exactly the same weight, but freed myself from the complications of the band.

That said, I am finding myself more and more motivated to "work it" once I get the sleeve. If I lose a little bit (20-30 pounds of the 40-50 I need to lose), and keep it off for life, I'll be a satisfied customer.

Thanks again for all of your wisdom!

With the sleeve, I think you will just feel less hungry vs restriction. So you will actually feel full instead of having to stop eating because you are restricted. I've read a lot of posts on here from people that stopped losing with the band and were able to lose more with the sleeve. Good luck to you!

With the sleeve, I think you will just feel less hungry vs restriction.

I never had the band, so I can't compare, but I DEFINITELY feel restriction with the sleeve. Yesterday I overdid it at lunch and I was in excruciating pain for a good 45-60 minutes as a result.

Band was far more restrictive yet I was still hungry. Sleeve was quite restrictive at first, but 3 years out it just feels like a normal, smaller tummy with far less hunger.

I never had the band, so I can't compare, but I DEFINITELY feel restriction with the sleeve. Yesterday I overdid it at lunch and I was in excruciating pain for a good 45-60 minutes as a result.

In the end WLS is only a tool that will help you on your weight loss journey. I have had a band,a revision, a band removal and now the sleeve. If I don't exercise I don't lose as much. If I choose to snack somehow it goes down so I have to make good choices. If I don't feel like drinking as much Water I don't have to but the days I get in at least 64 oz I feel better. Choosing to have these kind of surgeries is a very personal decision because only you will have control of how it works for you. In my opinion the sleeve is definitely a much better surgery then the band. I told my surgeon he should stop using it because of all the complications and follow ups. Good luck!!

I'm one of those that you have read about and worry about. Iv never felt any restriction with the sleeve and never lost any physical hunger. For me removing the band was like opening the flood gates and I weigh almost 10 lbs more today than i did when I had my surgery. You are right to have concerns, there are no guarantees, it's just a chance you take but that being said, if you're not happy now or like me have fears about living the rest of your life with the band, then it's prob worth taking a chance.

I feel like I am the first Gastric Bypass failure. I had my surgery 8 weeks ago. I lost weight before I could eat solid food and I have gained back 2 pounds since. I rarely feel full...I know I have to work at losing weight but I was hoping the sleeve would be a tool that helped. Honestly I sometimes think I am the placebo test patient, they removed my lapband but did they forget I wanted the sleeve when they were in there?

Being able to eat as much as I did before ( and some days I do) makes me feel horrible. I know "hunger" is in my head but I was hoping the sleeve would make it easier for me to feel full.

Every time I read that people can consume a cup of food at some meals ( like that is a lot) makes me nuts, I can easily eat 2 - 3 cups at a meal ( if not more!)

Not trying to discourage you, just want to be honest ( and get advice as well) I am almost at a point where I will just tell people I had the sleeve removed, period the end. I am ASHAMED, and envious of almost everyone one else who only lose weight with the sleeve.

Am I the ONLY one?

Did you have sleeve or bypass...you mention both. Are you eating Protein first?

Every time I read that people can consume a cup of food at some meals ( like that is a lot) makes me nuts, I can easily eat 2 - 3 cups at a meal ( if not more!)

I'm not clear on which surgery you had. Sounds like band revised to sleeve? But you mention bypass as well.... Anyway, when you say 2-3 cups of food at a meal, what kind of food and how long does it take for you to eat it?

Lap band to sleeve

What about my other questions regarding what kind of food you are eating and how long it takes you to eat it?

Can you give us what your day is foodwise?

Spoke to the Doctor today, it may be that I am one of the 15% that don't feel full even after having the gastric sleeve. I did not know there was 15%, I knew the sleeve can be stretched over time, but I missed the part where some people don't feel the benefit. I see him next month and he said 2 months out from surgery may be too early to tell....how can that be I wonder?