Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve vs. band

Hey everyone! I'm very torn right now. I have completed my six month physician monitored weight loss program required by my insurance. I have my first appointment with my Bariatric surgeon this Friday. All this time I was certain I wanted the LapBand, but the more I read, the more I think I should opt for the sleeve instead. Why did you opt for the sleeve over banding?

I was banded in 2008. I did well the first year & a half. At one point I had a full that was a little too tight. I didn't do anything about it for a year. food was always getting stuck and it was so hard to go out socially. Finally, I had some Fluid removed and I could eat again but found my habits of turning to slider foods got worse and I started gaining all my weight back. Then had really bad chest pains which were acid reflux. I decided to get rid if the band and get the sleeve - surgery was 11 days ago. Found out after the surgery that my band had slipped and had a hernia. The band isn't forever- at some point it will need to come out. Sleeve is forever

There would not be a band to sleeve revision forum if the band was a good thing.

The band can ruin your stomach to the point that you could not even get a revision to a sleeve. The band has damaged so many people's stomachs, that I have lost count.

I got the band because I didn't want gastric bypass, and at that time, it was the only other thing available. I had it taken out when I started throwing up in my sleep.

Edited by Oregondaisy

I was banded in 2005 and never lost a pound. In fact I gained weight. I had my sleeve done 10 weeks ago. I've lost 35 pounds.

Get the sleeve!

I chose the sleeve because the band is no longer being performed on military bases due to the high rate of complications. Bypass was an option, but the malabsorption caused me concern.

I had thought about the band but was told by my doctor that they can take the band off but it stays in your body.

also they found it wasn't as effective as sleeve. I was sleeved dec. 31, 2014, things are great, plus with sleeve they cut out your hunger thingy in your stomach. down 30 pounds feel so much better. don't regret my decision.

I chose the sleeve because it was a one and done thing. I wouldn't have to come and get fills/unfills. (Which seem to cost money every time)

Plus I could still have a little sugar.(spoonful of white chocolate wonderful peanut butter!) I don't go overboard but the amount of problems I've read involve erosion, slippage, port flip, etc.

I also didn't like the idea of my intestines being rerouted.

In the month prior to my initial consult with my surgeon, he took out 17 bands and placed 1. Yes, they're reversible, yes it's quick surgery. But from my conversations with him, the complication rate (erosions, slippage, inability to eat, etc) + the food intolerance + the lack of weight loss = the band is falling out of favor and may not even be done for much longer.

There are successful band patients such as Alex who owns this site...however my story is similar to above. Band for 10 years, alot of pain, food intolerance, reflux from hell, hunger never really satiated.

If you go band be sure you have excellent follow up as it requires alot of tinkering. In my case no matter how many fills and un fills it was never really right

I'm shocked to see my surgeons old office has a commercial advertising the lapband surgery. They are saying " if you have 30 pounds or more to lose ..."

I had my band put in 2010. After 4 years of no social life as i was scared that id be running to the bathroom due to food getting stuck, and due to forming a pouch above the band (i put on almost all the little weght that i had lost). Ii finally had it removed and the sleeve done. I would personally not recommend the band as the sleeve is just so much easier, further to this ive lost more weight in these few months with the sleeve than what i ever did when i had the band in for 4 years! I love my sleeve!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do xox

Thanks for all your input. It has been very helpful and I have decided to go with the sleeve. I called the nurse coordinator and switching the procedure shouldn't be a problem. I look forward to going on this journey with you guys. So far I have lost 35lbs.