Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Replacing the habit of overeating

I have my pre-op surgical consult today with the surgeon, Dr. Dana Portiere in Durham. I really like him...very down to earth and nice manner. He ask me what I was going to replace my habit of overeating with....I have a bit of a dry wit and I though of saying I was going to become a hooker! But really, this is the second person that ask me that question this week. It really has me thinking. When I get frustrated, bored, scared, tired, etc. I reach for food. What will I replace it with? What constructive activity that is not going to cause me damage can I replace my overeating with. I meditate so my therapist (who I am keeping through this) says I should get my meditation practice, very consistent. I also journal. Maybe I will start journaling this new new journey?

The surgeon said, "you know, next Thursday your days of overeating are going away. You can make bad choices in food but you will never again be able to volume eat, again."

Just has me thinking. I would like to hear from more experienced people on what you will or what you have replaced your overeating with?

Helen

7 days away from surgery

Hobbies. I got started way before even considering surgery. It helped keep me busy and avoid mindless eating. This past summer I learned to knit, sew, make jewerly, etc. (All from YouTube)

It has helped a lot!

That is what I am thinking, too. I have lots of interests. Takes a bit more effort than reaching for a cookie. I also think it is going to be exercise when it warms up. I have a dog and he is always up for a walk. I will just take off walking when I want to eat. Thanks for your feedback. Looks like you are really progressing for almost a month. Good luck...and keep up the good work.

You have really lost a lot of weight in a short time. Any tips? What has been your success?

Helen

@@artblitz

I get full and satisfied with my sleeve. If I eat to much it let's me know. I have replaced my emotional/stress eating with hitting the gym. I do my best problem solving and stress relief working out. Better than pizza and Cookies could ever do.

Edited by jenn1

@@artblitz I lost almost 50lbs pre-op because I was afraid of surgery at first, but realized how hard it was to keep going without getting discouraged. I gained 13lbs back and was 270 my day of surgery. I lost 20lbs post op just following my NUT.

I am only three days out from surgery, so most of my time post-op has been spent watching movies. Before surgery, I created a stash of things I can do instead of eat: knit a pair of gloves and a scarf, read one of several books I am interested in, work on my meditation or spiritual practice. I plan to keep adding to this list as I come up with new things. One thing I found pre-surgery that really helped is to focus on my breathing whenever I feel the need to eat to satisfy head hunger. It amazes me how stress and emotional eating goes hand in hand for me.

I recently learned how to crochet :). Its helped take my mind off eating unnecessarily in the evening.

I recently learned how to crochet :). Its helped take my mind off eating unnecessarily in the evening.

I love crocheting! I wish I had more time during the year to do it but I definitely make up for it in the summer.

I can't wait to sew and knit again! Buying fabric will be so much cheaper since I won't need 3-4 yards!