Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aetna H. M. O. So Cal - Advice

Hi all, I'm new to the sight and am looking for anybody who has Aetna H. M. O. And possibly from SoCal. I have my primary care physician on board, met with the NUT and she approved, had my psych evaluation and she approved, I am 36 and 225 lbs. (at my heaviest I was 245lbs.) I am pre-diabetic and have high cholesterol (not on meds for either at this time, but have been in the past). I had my sleep study and do not need the cpap machine but was told that when I hit the REM sleep in the early morning hours I stop breathing 8 x's an hour and to solve that I will need to lose weight. So my question is this, for anybody who has this insurance, how hard was it for approval? Has anybody had a similar situation as me? I am currently waiting to hear from my Doc to set up the appointment with the surgeon.... So any advice while I'm playing the waiting game would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

You said weight but not height/bmi

That's a big factor

I have Aetna. And less pre complications with my health than you and got qualified! I am 19 days post op. Get excited, you'll get it done. ????

Hi mcclayne I am 5'5 and I believe my bmi is like 36. It is SO inspiring to hear that you were approved!!! Congrats on being 19 days post op! I cant wait to see how it works for me. Getting excited to hear if I get approval!

I also have Atena. I am on meds for high blood. According to my surgoen Atena wil not approve for this only. I have sleep apnea and use a cpap. This should be my in but i have not been officially approved yet. Good luck to you.

Aetna approved me because of CPAP, no high blood pressure, but my BMI was 41

CPAP and High blood pressure I hope should do it.

Lots of joint pain? Do either of you have degenerative joints? Most obese people do.

It's very upsetting to me about my sleep study as well!! When I went for the study I was so very uncomfortable and didn't sleep a wink until right before I had to leave. I got under 2 hours of sleep in the early morning hours. When I went for my follow up & explained to the doc that I didn't sleep, he told me I did sleep and that the only time I had sleep apnea was in the early morning hours. I stopped breathing 8 times an hour. He said I only stopped 1 time an hour preceding that... I tried explaining to him that, that was when I didn't sleep but he insisted that I did. He explained that I need to lose weight to get rid of the issue I have but don't need the cpap machine. I wonder if it's possible to get a 2 nd opinion. I was so very nervous because my study was done at the docs office, not a hospital or anything and there was only a man (stranger) outside my unlocked bedroom. I have had a bad feeling about this ever since but now reading your posts it is making me re-think taking his word for it. I don't have high bp in fact I used to have very low bp but now it seems to be perfect all of the time. I only have the pre diabetes, high cholesterol (but not on meds for) and asthma which I do take meds for.

I did a home study first and my heart stopped 97 times in one home. This lead to an over night study at the hospital. I think i would seek a second opinion. Like i said above i'm still waiting for approval. My bmi is like 37.

Sorry about the spelling errors. I met one hour

I cant thank the two of you enough for the advice! I am looking up pre - morbidity diseases right now. It helps having people to talk to while going through the grueling process of getting approved. I know own my health is not good due to my weight. I have a hard time breathing and the whole pre diabetes and high cholesterol takes its toll on me. I see that Migraines is on that list if pre morbidity diseases as well and I suffer from those and am on meds for them. So fingers crossed!! I just want to get back to being healthy again!! It's been a long 15 years of dealing with weight issues and I am just so ready to get back on track. Thank you ladies!! And donnag53 I will be looking forward to an update that you receive approval!! ????

I will let you know when I hear from Aetna. Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.

Well I seen my pcp today and she looked through all of the reports that I needed for approval and she doesn't seem to think there is going to be a problem getting approved! She submitted all paperwork today and said I should hear something in the next few days! So needless to say I'm on pins and needles!! I will most certainly keep ya updated!!

Got APPROVED for surgery today!!! On cloud nine!!! I have to wait an entire month before I get to meet with the surgeon but that is nothing after waiting so long to just know there is a change in sight!!!