Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss

I know that it is common but I am loosing a lot of hair. It is all over my house, clothes and most important my husband who want's to kill me. He said it is on his towels in the shower in the bed everywhere. My doctor said that this can go on for up to nine months. Is this right? My god I will be bald by then. I am finally giving in and going for a hair cut tomorrow. I have never had short hair but I think I have to do it. Don't get me wrong I am happy with my band and my weight loss but, this part stinks. I am a little down right now and I know this may sound trivial and silly to some but I am sad about cutting my locks off. It has been hiding this fat face my entire life.

My husband added his two cents to cheer me up saying that it was OK because I will be skinny and bald and he would buy me a wig. Then added that the hair does not cover anything anyway so why am I stressing. Don't men just have a great sensitive side?

Anyone have any comments or recommendations? Or, do I have to just ride this one out? Thanks for listening.

Gina -

So sorry... I personally don't think it matters whether you cut your hair or leave it long, as far as the shedding is concerned, unless you're just trying to minimize the length of hairs being shed...

I have read many posts on this subject, and the general concensus seems to be that there is nothing to be done for it but to wait it out. So might as well leave your locks long, even if it seems messier. ;)

You won't go bald, honest - it will just seem like it. :P

**hugs**

Gina,

I'm right on schedule with you. I have been losing handfuls of hair for 2 weeks. I wonder, though, if I hadn't grown some replacements in the last few months. Still, my hair is getting thinner and I thought about cutting it. My husband and I have promised each other not to cut our hair without talking to the other. We both have and love long hair. The last time I cut my hair short was when I was 11 years old. I swore never to do it again. That was 38 years ago! ;)

I'm just gonna tough it out. I sure hope it doesn't go on for 9 months, though! At this rate I may have to take a curling Iron to it -- and I just hate messing with my hair. At least I'm thinner, so my hair probably doesn't seem as thin as did before. I hope. :nervous:

I ask my Doctor about the Hair loss because I always thought it had to do with Protein. He said it is hormonal, and it will grow back, it doesn't last long. I would hold out if I was you and see what happens. He also said not everyone does it.

when does the hairloss usually happen? I havent had this problem yet... and cant afford to!

4 months? You mean I have yet to start losing my hair?? Stupid me, I thought if it was going to happen it would have happened already! Man, what a bummer. I started losing my hair a few years ago from stress, and it's just starting to fill back in! *sob*

What about Rogaine? To slow it down a little? Has anyone tried that? I wanna keep my hair!!! ;)

Love you all :P

My hair is falling out by the handful, too. It is very stressful to watch how much I'm shedding. I thought I read somewhere that it was linked to not getting enough Protein, but I am pretty dilligent about it, 'cause I didn't want to lose hair at all! I didn't know that it had to do with anesthesia. Hope it grows back!

So does that mean that it all starts over when we go under for reconstructive (read; saggy skin removal) surgery?? waaaaaa!

I thought that Hair loss only occured with bypass patients - stupid me. Anyway, I am cutting it to try and minimize the amount. Right now my hair is just above my rear end. I am going to cut it just above the shoulder and layer it everywhere else. I am praying by the summer it will grow back. I have not had short hair since I was 5 yrs. old. Since the loss started my hair is looking horrible anyway. All I can do is pull it up so I guess there is no loss. Good luck to all of you, I hope you can avoid this part of the chapter!

I've read that some women using rogaine for hair loss can end up with excessive facial Hair growth, for men it can be excessive back and body hair. I'd rather be a little thin on top, than a wolfwoman!

The Hair loss from hormonal changes has a lot to do with the change in our weight. When we are heavier, we tend to produce more hormones. Because fat stores hormones, as we lose that fat, we release the extra hormones stored in it, plus we're still creating excess, causing an imbalance. One of the symptoms is shedding hair, another sign can be changes in menses, irregularities such as lack of or excess.

I'm thinking maybe it's time to join the red hat society... shall we start our own lapband chapter?

Oh, Geez!!! I am already a shedder. I have very thick wavy hair and I have left hairs everywhere I go my whole life! Now your telling me its gonna get worse?!?! :ermm Well, maybe it will grow back straight and sleek... :cheeky

Good news, think of the $$ you'll save in conditioner and the time on fixing your hair - with it shorter! Mine's short now, wash and go, love it.

I haven't lost any more hair than usual. A few years ago, my hormones were "out of wack" and I did - really bad. It would stop up the bathtub drain. But I didn't have bald spots or anything.

But I do notice that I get cold easier now. This is from a person who seemed to have the thermostat "stuck on high" all the time for years. It was a standard joke here, "Oh, Mom's having a hot flash." The kids kept sleeping bags in the front hall closet because I always had the a/c cranked down.

This is all so confusing. ;) I don't know whether I'm going through menopause or just out of whack from losing weight. My hair is thinner now and I don't like it, but I'm fortunate that I started out with thick hair. The rate of Hair loss seems to have slowed recently. I too always used to be hot (I think that's the extra fat insulation). Now I'm freezing. When I'm not having hot flashes.

Nancy