Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Binge Eating Disorder

I have had Binge Eating Disorder and associated depression since my teens and have tried EVERYTHING to lose weight and achieve remission. I am scheduled for a lap-band on June 28/07 and obviously I am both scared and excited. Research has shown good results for BED but I would love to hear from other binge eaters about their experience. Does the urge to binge go away? Did you feel better or worse after surgery? I feel like this is my last hope.:rolleyes

I have had Binge Eating Disorder and associated depression since my teens and have tried EVERYTHING to lose weight and achieve remission. I am scheduled for a lap-band on June 28/07 and obviously I am both scared and excited. Research has shown good results for BED but I would love to hear from other binge eaters about their experience. Does the urge to binge go away? Did you feel better or worse after surgery? I feel like this is my last hope.:rolleyes

This is a good question. I think most of us here have binge eating issues. I didn't know there was actually a disorder diagnosis...but I'd have to say I would definitely be diagnosed with BED. I'm very interested to see the responses.

I think many of us have binge eating issues but different forms of binge eating disorder. I would not eat a bag of Cookies in one sitting but give me a day or two and it would have been mine.

Since the surgery, and I haven't had a fill yet, I can only consume half of what I normally would have. I had a "situation" last week with a super thin crust pizza my son made for me at the pizza place he works at. I hadn't eaten a thing all day and he brought this pie home. I ate the cheese of a few pieces but was still hungry. Didn't drink anything, still ate more. I ate three pieces of it and gave the rest to the dog.

Meanwhile, about an hour later I got soooo sick as in on the pot. My stomach hurt, I became scared for myself and the intake. I was on the pot for atleast an hour. THAT is what happens to me. I don't know what others are experiencing.

I'm sure I will always be a binge eater like an alcoholic is always one. I will always have to be ongaurd. I dare not bring red light foods into my house because I know I am one bite away from it.

The band is that angel on my shoulder. It makes bingeing a threat. There is a risk of getting sick and hurting myself. That puts a stop on things for me.

Once I have restriction again I believe the urge to eat will fade much like right after I had the surgery.

Next.

I definitely have a bingeing problem. And I would love to hear from people who have been banded and how that has affected there bingeing. Either by physically not being able to binge, or if the desire to binge lessens.

PS

I think the danger is that many who have a binge disorder also have a purge disorder. If you are one who purges, the band would not be good for you. Purging can cause your band to slip. I think the band can help those who are compulsive overeaters in that you feel less physical hunger, however HEAD hunger is MIGHTY STRONG. Overeating can also cause the band to slip if the pouch is stretched too far. I assume your surgeon is aware of your condition and hopefully you have had a psych consult as well. Just be sure you don't think the band will solve all of your issues. You will still have the old demons telling you to eat, whether or not your body is feeling physical hunger. Best of luck to you.

I used to think I was cured, but just like any other addiction, it is never cured, just managed. I did really well for the first year. I got down to almost 130lbs.

Now I am gaining because of my binge disorder. I just don't feel the same amount of restriction anymore. I've had several fills and the last time I had a fill, there were 5 cc missing. But when I was properly restricted, it did help my binging behavior. PBs help you learn really fast not to binge. I can eat anything right now. I never have PBs, which is why my bad behavior has returned.

I can go get another fill, but I kind of don't want to. I'm trying to find other ways to manage it. Yes, I am failing at it right now, but I'm not giving up.

Have you ever visited somethingfishy.com? It is a really helpful forum for dealing with eating issues.

I think we are all saying the problem never goes away.

I went into therapy before my surgery atleast three times to deal with my compulsion to overeat. I do believe I have a physical disorder as in a problem with my body where it does not release the "YOU'RE FULL" chemical that signals the brain not to eat. Science will some day catch up with my theory that there is a segment of the population that doesn't have that FULL sensation. Some are born that way, some develop in like diabetes and some develop it after the onset of something that changes their body chemistry...like pregnancy.

Having restriction has made a big difference in my life. Having the band there has given me hope that I'll be healthy again in the future. I KNOW I've tried and I know all the things I have tried to lose weight.

Surgery is a strong avenue but people in dire circumstances are willing to do what it takes to obtain a goal. I was.

I know what you mean lap dancer. My fear of not having the surgery is starting to out weigh my fear of having the surgery. Something needs to change and change soon. But I do worry about the emotional side of my eating. I don't purge, but I overeat and binge often. I know that even if I have the surgery, I will have to work on the emotional side of my eating. I don't have a problem feeling physically full, but just still want more, more, more. Give me more.

There is a program that I want to work, know that I need to work, wish I could work, that deals with self nurturing and effective limits, to help turn down that desire for more, more, more, but it's really hard to do by myself and while I'm still eating all the time. So I was thinking that if I had the surgery to put a limit on my eating, I would be able to do the internal/emotional work. And maybe by doing both surgery/emotional, I could finally find some peace and freedom from the more, more, more monster.

PS

Let's face it ladies, we didn't get here my eating too much fruit, or having an extra of helping at dinner. There is something about swallowing that give us that sense of safety, or some kind of satisfaction. And we do it over and over again, and again, till we are either sick or there is nothing left. If you want to call it a "Bing Disorder" go right ahead, what I call it is just compulsive overeating, that comes in spurts. I don't know if it is real binging, but........ It’s that I have found a safe place with no one around so I can eat my fill. I use to go home from therapy on Tuesday night and pick up 2 pints of Ice Cream, and then when I got home I ordered a pizza. Then I would sit in front of the TV with no one else home and "go to town". You see..... If I could do that all day I would, but there things that get in the way.... like work, cleaning, going to meetings, shopping, etc....... So when I got home from these life things, I would: "Eat Like I Was Going TO The Chair".

Whatever you want to call it, we are eating our self’s to death. Now as far as being Band'ed, I have been banded since 2002, and I have lost 250 lbs. OK that is nice and I can somewhat pass for a normal person, but........ I am still 370 lbs and need to lose another 200 lbs. If the Band worked perfectly, I would be my goal weight, but I play this game we all play called: "Beat The Band". And I am really good at it, not that I am proud of this, but I tell the truth, and come what may. So I am so good that I know what I can eat and what I can't eat. I stay far away from Rice, large Pasta, meat ...etc we know the food we can't eat.

But....... I love to go to the movies and eat a large buttered pop corn, you can eat the stuffing out of that, and candy, and ice cream, you know...... soft stuff, I do this for a couple of years, and now I am tired of it and want to be some kind of normal weight. I also need a "Pannnectamy" (the removal of the Pannis, the LARGE fold of skin in front of your genitals) what I have now is like wearing a 80 lb tool belt and it kills my back and keeps me from doing the exercise I need to lose more weight and to keep some kind of fitness.

It really bugs me when fatty's are in denial, and they would like to blame it on some kind of "Disorder". This way we don't have to take responsibility for our weight and eating. OK, we have some stuff from the past like: Sexual Abuse, Physical Abuse, Abandonment, Neglect, ............. all kinds of shit, but we can't hold on to it forever, we must grow past it, and take responsibility for our own lives. I meet a woman who had the band and was so freaked out about not being able to overeat, she had them go back inside and remove it. She made all kinds of bullshit excuses, but I knew the truth (takes one to know one) she had no other way to deal with her issue's, so she had to back to eating. How sad.

The there was another woman, who ended up losing all kinds of weight but clung to the fact of looking good was all life was about, she just switched addictions, now she is planning body surgery like every other month, very sick, just switched addictions. What I did was to do this slowly and went to OA meetings and talked to people just like me, but I told the truth, no more bullshit, no more denial, no more living under a rock, we are fat, and that is all there is about it, take me as I am, I am proud to claim I am an ENLIGHTEN FAT PERSON. Thank God

Butch

It really bugs me when fatty's are in denial, and they would like to blame it on some kind of "Disorder". This way we don't have to take responsibility for our weight and eating. OK, we have some stuff from the past like: Sexual Abuse, Physical Abuse, Abandonment, Neglect, ............. all kinds of shit, but we can't hold on to it forever, we must grow past it, and take responsibility for our own lives. I meet a woman who had the band and was so freaked out about not being able to overeat, she had them go back inside and remove it. She made all kinds of bullshit excuses, but I knew the truth (takes one to know one) she had no other way to deal with her issue's, so she had to back to eating. How sad.

Butch

You know, you are so right. I'm sorry I came off that way. Now looking back on my post, I do see it. I hate excuses, too. Ultimately I am responsible for my actions and what I put into my mouth.

I guess we all have different methods of offering support. Thanks for being so honest and direct.

You know it ain't just you, or what you posted. I have been around this weight for a couple of years now, and I could have gotten an ajustment anytime, but I wanted to eat, well not like I use to, but at least on some stuff. Now, when I go to NY for my ajustment I am going to have them max the band out !!!!!! Now I won't beable to eat much beyond half meals at a time........ if that.

I guess we all go through this stuff, we just have to honest with our self's, and tell myself and others I am not ready, but I am will to do it when the time is correct. For me.... the time is correct. I am 55 and there is a lot I want to do, by God's Grace I am retired and have a wonderful life here in Florida, but I can't do all the things I want to do. What am I going to sit around on my 350 lbs ass and settel for a half life ???? I don't think so.

Now is the time and I want more of life then being a fatty, and not being able to walk far or if I do walk a lot I am in a lot of pain. So, I do understand overeating, infact it's my favoret past time, LOL. I just will have to eat it slower and only half as much.

Butch

You know it ain't just you, or what you posted. I have been around this weight for a couple of years now, and I could have gotten an ajustment anytime, but I wanted to eat, well not like I use to, but at least on some stuff. Now, when I go to NY for my ajustment I am going to have them max the band out !!!!!! Now I won't beable to eat much beyond half meals at a time........ if that.

I guess we all go through this stuff, we just have to honest with our self's, and tell myself and others I am not ready, but I am will to do it when the time is correct. For me.... the time is correct. I am 55 and there is a lot I want to do, by God's Grace I am retired and have a wonderful life here in Florida, but I can't do all the things I want to do. What am I going to sit around on my 350 lbs ass and settel for a half life ???? I don't think so.

Now is the time and I want more of life then being a fatty, and not being able to walk far or if I do walk a lot I am in a lot of pain. So, I do understand overeating, infact it's my favoret past time, LOL. I just will have to eat it slower and only half as much.

Butch

Butch...absolutely loved your posts...so enlightening for me and SUCH a wake up call. Thanks for your honesty!

Peace Out!

T~:hippie:

Butch thanks for taking us to church. (I mean that in a positive way).

I still believe in the I'm not full theory. When I asked my surgeon "do you know what I mean when I say I don't feel full" and he SOOO got me. So many people have said this to him. (it would reason he would be one to hear it I think).

I'm not denying I have the wicked curse of the grazers. All of me fears I will find a hole in the program and run through it one to many times. That fear keeps me ongaurd. Princess Sophie fear of not doing something is what drove me forward. Have you seen those shows where people are bed ridden from their obesity? I KNEW I was only a whisper away from that. Fuelman I'm not passing just yet. I get stares. My stomach SWINGS. It's tightening up but seeing people's eyes go from my eyes to my thighs even in passing bothers me. ..Fuelman..that 80 lb. toolbelt. I can relate.

LOL......... Now that gave me a big laugh, "That Swing", If I don't where tight fitting jeans, I got that swing BIG TIME. Sometimes I make it swing back and forth in from of the kid and my wife, and tell them how would like to deal with this, LOL, or I hang it out over my pants and make everyone go EUHhhhhh. It's like all my weight went south. You know........ from the waste up I almost look normal, I mean normal for a fatty. But........... below the waste I have got this huge hanging blob, swinging back and forth as I walk. That is too funny. I think if more people on this page talked about the funny and the not-so-funny things about being fat, it would be a lot more bearable. All the wishy-washy bullshit that a lot of people talk about don't get it for me. I like to be honest and stright to the point. Calling a Spade A Spade to coin a saying.

I also have many horror story's reguarding dealing with being a fatty. You can't go around in life weighting 500 to 600 lbs and not have shit happen. One that sticks out is: A time I was at Great Adventure in New Jersey. We went on this train roll-a-coster. Well when I got on the bar would not come down, so I tryed to hold it down. Now you got to remember this place is packed, and there is a line 6 deep waiting to get on. So when the guy's come to me and find the bar is not down they try to stand on it to get it to click. But with 2 guy's standing on the bar I was still too fat, it would not come down. They finely gave up and said I would have to get off. So in front of the whold train, and all the 100's of people waiting to get on I had to make that lonely 100 yard walk all alone. I felt like dieing right there. So what did I do ??????? I went right to the vender and got 3 corn dogs and a soda to drown the pain. I laughed and joked about it later, but I was so ashamed I could have died. LOL, that what I was doing.... killing my self a forkful at a time, or a corn dog at a time. That is just one of many, many stories. and I am sure we all have a ton more. Keep it real and tell the truth, forsake denile.

Butch