Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 months out- hit a big wall. Not losing at all

Wow! This is me too! I was at a great clip, and now I'm bouncing around the same 3 pounds! I was over tightened at the end of Decmber, so I don't think I need an adjustment. I'm trying to not freak out...

well, something seems to have worked. the scale is moving again. slowly, but it IS moving! getting there is hard, but worth it. YAY

Thanks for this post! I'm 7 months out and stalled for over a month! Its jumped around a bit but I can't help but wonder...am I done losing already?

I, too, am at a stall after losing 130lb in 10 months. However, since I log everything into My Fitness Pal I can definitely see that it is my higher carbs and lower Protein that has had the biggest effect. I'm also turning to food more than Water so H2O reduction doesn't help either! I'm trying to get back on track with my food choices and spend more time in the gym. What I have noticed in posts, though, is that strength training is not emphasized. This should really be the foundation of gym work. Cardio is great to condition the heart and lungs as well as building slow twitch (fatigue resistant ) muscle fibers. But building fast twitch muscle (for fast, strong motions like lifting heavy weights) will keep your metabolism running higher, even at rest. Think about it, hamsters can run all day long on their little wheels, but they're still fat, right? Lol And marathon runners can go go go all day and night, but they probably need help lifting a heavy bag of groceries or moving a couch to vacuum. Anyway I know I had great, fast results and am slowly but surely uncovering a better body with strength training (as well as HIIT/Tabata work). Just my two cents. Good luck to everyone on getting back on track!

I have been stalled since April. At first I thought it was all muscle gain, which is very possible since according to my caliper body fat test showed I was losing body fat. But every two weeks I'd get on the scale and it didn't move at all. Until two weeks ago. Ever since my mountain climb I've been losing 3 pounds a week. It's almost eerie, but I'm really digging it. I'd like to be at my goal by November and now I have hope I might actually get there.

It's tough when I compare my stats with others. I am a slow loser, and knowing there is a "honeymoon period" causes quite a bit of anxiety every time I step on the scale and it hasn't budged. I feel like the clock is ticking. At age 54, I know I won't lose like a younger person, but I am worried that this is my "new normal," my body's set point (it's the weight I spent the most years at, having always been overweight).
At 8 months out, I can easily eat 1200 calories a day, have no food aversions, and have to be very careful around carbs. My doc thinks perimenopause is wreaking havoc with my hormones, and I should focus on daily health habits, not continued weight loss.
But damn it, I want to reach goal!

I'm about a month away from having surgery (rnygp ) and reading about all the exercise you all are having to do -- but still not losing wt and having to count every calorie is getting g me getting worried. It sounds as hard as dieting has always been before surgery! Do we really have to exercise hours a day to lose weight after surgery? Don't get me wrong - I love exercise. But I don't have a couple of hours a day to devote to it. And my joints couldn't take it even if I did. So now I'm worried that maybe the rnygp (to restrict calories) plus a daily walk won't be enough for me lose the 120-140 lbs I need to lose.

Edited by talking mountain

I don't count calories at all. In fact, they recommend that you don't. Count grams of protein--that is so much easier! And no, you don't need to exercise many hours a day. You should exercise every day but even 30 minutes is good. Depends on what you are doing of course. Don't get me wrong, this can be hard but I don't find it AS hard as dieting before. It still takes work but you can do it and we are here to help you.

Best of luck!

TalkingMountain a big difference for me pre and post surgery is that even though I may feel very hungry at times a small amount of food satiates me. Therefore I think it is easier than pre surgery when you needed to eat so much more to not feel hungry anymore. I walk every day but for how long depends on what else is in my life each day. If you exercise less you will just lose a little more slowly. For me this is the rest of my life and only part of my life so if I don't lose in a rush it is OK. Good luck with your surgery.

I've been stalling ever since week 3. My weight loss is so erratic. Part of me has just accepted it. I just keep on doing what I am doing: eating well, exercising, and getting my Protein.

I just read through all these post and I wish they would all come back and let us know how things are going. I'm 13 months out from my surgery and have been stalled for probably 4 months. I am maintaining and happy with where I am at. When I say happy I really mean is that I am healthy and my lifestyle is healthy. I am eating better than I ever have and exercising more than I ever have .. and I think that is the real goal. I would love to lose another 20-25 lbs. I am not sure if want to lose that weight because I love the feeling of losing weight or because of vanity. Confused .. but still in a good way.

40 minutes ago, Brian B said:

I just read through all these post and I wish they would all come back and let us know how things are going. I'm 13 months out from my surgery and have been stalled for probably 4 months. I am maintaining and happy with where I am at. When I say happy I really mean is that I am healthy and my lifestyle is healthy. I am eating better than I ever have and exercising more than I ever have .. and I think that is the real goal. I would love to lose another 20-25 lbs. I am not sure if want to lose that weight because I love the feeling of losing weight or because of vanity. Confused .. but still in a good way.

Congrats on your WL! I'm almost 10 months out and was also stalled for the longest. Finally broke it when I increased my Protein and Water intake per my NUT instructions. Trying to get to my GW by my 1 year mark.

8 hours ago, Brian B said:

I just read through all these post and I wish they would all come back and let us know how things are going.

A lot of times people don't come back to a thread but you can click on their name, see their activity and see if they are posting at all. You can follow people like that.

Congrats on your WL! I'm almost 10 months out and was also stalled for the longest. Finally broke it when I increased my Protein and Water intake per my NUT instructions. Trying to get to my GW by my 1 year mark.

Hello, I'm 9 months out and have only dropped about 10lbs in the past 4 months. I'm down 113lbs (CW174) total. I feel great! I'm exercising and enjoying it. BUT, I want to lose 15-20lbs more. I'm curious how many protein grams you've increased to? I know my weakness is my carbs. I strength train and have been told carbs aren't always bad....but for me they are my weakness. I need to find the happy medium. I feel I go way overboard on them. Lol I'd like to start losing regularly again. Seems it's only been 1-3lbs a month. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app