Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's with all the "diet" food?

It was a Rugged Maniac. So much fun! That was the worst obstacle. It was a long azzz tunnel that we had to belly crawl through and I am claustrophobic. The guy in front of me got stuck and we were in there forever. I wanted to DIE.

My surgeon told me to stay away from "diet foods." No low fat or fat free. If I am to eat salad, he said to use regular dressing. His reasoning for this is that most low fat and fat free foods replace the fat with sugars or sugar alcohols and we are supposed to stay away from sugar. Makes sense to me.

I think most of us are not complete morons and as grown adults will chose to do as we please. I also believe that we are each smart enough to make our own decisions in what we want to do as far as nutrition. Asking a question and getting multiple different responses isn't Going to prompt someone to not adhere by their unique plan unless again that's what they chose to do as a grown adult . Nutritionist are not the "gods" of bariatric surgery either. Nutrition changes all the time. Science changes the way we eat. Yes your NUTS job is to give you guidelines on what you should be eating but it's not the holy grail. Your NUT is going by a general consensus of what they feel a wls patient should be eating. Seeing as how all individual bodies have there own chemical make up it is literally impossible for ANYONE to tell you exactly what YOU have to eat to lose x amount of weight. WSL doesn't come with an automatic weight loss guarantee. So I myself (being over 3x7) will take the advice from my NUT but will also incorporate What I feel is working for me. Just like any other human with a functioning brain. I have yet to read any post where someone is telling another person to "not listen to their healthcare team and follow what they say" nope not even once. People will share their experiences and give options on what works for them. You either learning something, Try something new, or you chose to read and move on. It's really that simple.

Edited by Elode

I am 7 months out and didn't eat "diet" foods. To me diet foods are represented by Splenda, diet drinks, low fat labeled meal items etc. it's important that I define these to level set and state that I didn't eat these types of items. What I did though is made healthier food choices. Meaning eating more Proteins and veggies and limiting my carb intake. This is a lifestyle change and not a quick fix so it was important for me to understand how what I consumed impacted my weight. Hence the reason I started using myfitness pal to track my intake and better educate myself on nutritional values of food. It's all about moderation. I also realized that a lot of these "diet" foods (i.e. Splenda) are so bad for you and can lead to other health problems so why bother? For example, instead of regular refined sugar I use German Rock sugar. Is it calorie free? No. But it's not processed and does contain less calories than refined sugar. So my advice is invest time in learning better healthy options so you make a lifelong commitment. It will allow you to occasionally indulge in certain cravings intelligently and moderation. Good luck!!

Well as usual, I'm going to be contrary. I eat diet food if I didn't I'd consume at least 4 spoons of sugar a day drinking my tea alone. So in goes the Splenda. I like Crystal Light and Mio, they help me get my Water in. I love low fat dairy, grew up on 1-2%. Can't stomach the idea of regular milk. I'm fast friends with sugar free pudding it makes my smoothies thick like a milk shake without ice cream's fat and calories. My NUT encourages these things but also a balanced diet with lots of veggies and some fruit. I use low fat dressing because I want more than 2 tablespoons on my salad. I think it's just preference and how you want to get to goal. I like to eat, a lot, so anywhere I can shave off a few calories here and there seems like a bonus to me.

@@erp - I think what's getting lost in this discussion is whether or not it is possible to follow a bariatric diet without eating fake foods. If splenda and such work for you, go for it. There just happen to be some of us who prefer not to, or in my case are literally healthier without since I am severely allergic. The OP was asking if she could do this without fake foods.

Fat free milks are slightly different than using splenda instead of sugar. There are no chemical additives. Fat free milk is typically just a matter of removing the milk fats from milk. IIRC they just spin it in a centrifuge and since the cream or fat is separated as it sinks or floats. The greek yogurt I eat is 0% because it's made from fat free milk.

^^^I think that's totally possible if in eating real sugar or full fats means that you are good with probably have to limit them or use them sparingly.

@erp- It's a sort of hand in hand thing. I have a sweet tooth. Always have. I could probably eat a baby if it was dipped in chocolate and I'm a vegetarian! I don't limit or use sparingly. I have it when I want. However what has changed is my desire for them. This morning I had a mug of coffee, I put a good half tbsp of raw honey in it because I like it sweet. However other than some fruit I doubt I'll have more sugar today.

Unless you actually eat this way it's hard to explain, but the less artificial sweeteners and additives I have in my diet, the less I want them. However I am completely satisfied and do not feel deprived.

Personally I think with all the enhanced food and all the preservatives and all the processing and all the glues and what they are feeding the animals and so on and so on and so on. I personally feel that if I add fake butter to it and artificial sweeteners and so on then I may surely get sick...

I was told by my nut that I can eat real food without anything doctored in it and it would be okay. I would lose my weight and attain my goal.

Now if I ate sugary foods and fatty foods as my main diet I would gain for sure. Even if I was not grazing it would happen. Our bodies are conditioned to store calories. And it will if allowed to do so.

I try and mostly succeed at eating Protein first, then veggies, and a carb. In between meals I try to eat some fruit. I have tried to eat just Protein at a meal and it would not stay down. Waited and tried a few weeks later. Same results....So for me real food at meals no fake stuff that I know of and so far so good!

I will tell you I do eat the odd sweet. Sugar is my trigger <_< food. Love me some skinny popcorn as a snack as well.

So for me no diet food!

Edited by VSGAnn2014

Too late I read it before you deleted it...lol

@@BLERDgirl Could you give me specifics on your preferred plant-Proteins? I am having a hard time hitting my daily Protein goal (60 g), even at 8 mos out. I am so, soooo tired of dairy. makes me farty and bloated ALL THE TIME. I do eat lean meat, but I am struggling to consume this much meat to get in my 60 g of Protein. I was veg for 6 or 7 years. Prior to surgery, I ate chicken & fish, but not frequently. Now I dabble in red meat as well, but I don't want to rely on meat!!

I appreciate you playing devil's advocate, Steve. I agree, nobody should be ignoring their weight loss team, but I do feel it's important to question authority if what they're asking you to do just doesn't feel right. In my case I've got a not-so-helpful NUT.

I'm so glad to have everybody's input here (59 reponses!); I got some great information, most especially the referral to Dr. Matthew Weiner's website and all this videos. Another doctor; director of the bariatric program at his hospital and author of "A Pound of Cure".

Because I realize I am by no means an expert, I ran Dr. Weiner's ideas by the director of the bariatric program at my hospital.

This is his response: "My opinion has always been that there is no one "right" way to do things. I am certain there are patients out there who are miserable on Dr. Weiner's diet! Having said that, as long as you are meeting the macronutrient requirements I am fine with you getting your Protein mainly from plant sources. You know your body better than anyone and listening to your body is the best guide."

Of course I'll have to focus on Protein first these first few months as my stomach heals, since I can't possibly eat the volume I'd need for that from plant sources. But I am encouraged that I can safely start replacing my Protein shakes with better, healthier options, and begin eating more veggie and fruits. Dr. Weiner invests a lot into your post-operative and long term diet and has a ton of helpful videos on his site. I have the feeling this is the direction that future post operative diets will be taking. And as my contact says (as does Dr. Weiner): "listening to your body is your best guide."

But listening to people who have been there done that provides a wealth of information to help you make wiser choices. So again everybody, thank you for your input.

Dr. Wiener is my surgeon!! The reason I picked him is A pound of cure and his approach to nutrition after WLS--

I found his website and watched all his videos-- then found he was in my state!! I made an appointment and had a consult with him. He felt the WLS is a good option for and we are working toward that! 5 more months of supervised diet then we can submit to insurance!!

I am just starting to work through the steps of Dr. Weiner's program. ????????????

I am 6 months post op and eat extremely low carb. I actually enjoy it. I eat very limited processed foods. A lot of meats, cheese and veggies. I do eat butter and a lot of Olive oil. Low carb works for me since meats and cheeses are loaded with Protein and fill me up. After eating my protein and vegetable I rarely have room for a side dish is almost always a carb. I still make potatoes, rice and Pasta for my family but I don't eat them not do I want to. I do eat the occasional sweet treat though. Pretty often, actually. I am 65 pounds down and 35 pounds to go.