Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how long did you wait?

I started my process in June of 2013 and was banded in November, so about five months. I am impatient by nature and was going nuts with all those hoops to hurdle but in hindsight I realize how good it was for me to have that time to process everything. I got a notebook -- just one of those marble covered composition books kids use -- and took lots of notes, recorded all the appointments I had to do, pre-op and post-op thoughts, plus what I was feeling. Any fears or worries I had plus a big list of all the things I looked forward to once I lost weight. I also got a therapist to go through the process with me -- an objective third-party. We really worked on all the food issues and that was helpful for me. Breaking down behaviors, identifying triggers. It's not like I hadn't done all that before (I'm 53) but this time the self-honesty it took to make the decision to have weight loss surgery made a big difference. No more being a victim of this or that -- this time I was taking responsibility and ready to face myself in a new way. Also prior to surgery I upped my exercising. I didn't want to but I'm really glad I did as that gave me something to step right into after surgery. Good luck and you are in the right place for support. I am very grateful for this forum. If you stumble on any negativity I recommend just moving right along. Best wishes!

well I went for my initial consultation today and have all my appointments set up through July. I know I should be patient but I really hope it goes by quickly!!!

I was also required to do a 6 month doc supervised diet. I started the whole process Jan 2013, with a visit to a general surgeon to see about getting my ventral hernia removed. She went over the procedure with me and then recommended bariatric surgery. She said the recovery from the surgery would be easier if I lost weight, and the main thing was the chance of the hernia returning was less with weight loss.

So I made a time to go to seminar at the end of January. Then we found out what was required to submit for approval to my insurance. I had to do a 6 month supervised diet, I was rather happy about that since I needed that time to wrap my head around all the changes that would need to take place to be successful. This surgery was not something I had looked into before this. So I started to see my general doc once a month. Then come May I found out that my insurance company was not in contract with the hospital anymore. :( When we called they said they were renegotiating and it should only be a few months. So I kept seeing my general doc for weigh ins, but never really lost anymore weight. Well lo and behold they did redo the contracts and we picked up where we had left off. I was so glad I kept seeing my doc every month.

So in September I did my psych eval, it was the only thing I had left to do, I had put it off till the contracts were fixed. The day I had my eval I went straight to my bariatric docs office to turn in my paper that said I was cleared for surgery. They put together all my paperwork and submitted to my insurance. Took I think 10 days and I found out I was approved.

Once again, I was really happy that I had the 6 months supervised diet to really understand how I ate and why. Without this time I do not think for one minute I would be doing as well as I am without that time to research and learn about myself.

Good luck with your journey!!

I'm on the time frame. Maybe we can be surgery buddies when the time comes! :)

Initially at my first information session my surgeon told me 6 months and since I had already went to my pcp the month prior and was weighed there, it was considered the 1st month. Then I went to my surgeons the next month and the nurse took my insurance card and realized it was federal insurance and that they only required 3 months. By that time I had already been to my pcp and weighed 3 months in a row. A week later they submitted my paperwork and a week after that I was approved.

I'm on the time frame. Maybe we can be surgery buddies when the time comes! :)

@@MarylandCrab, I would love that! I know it will be nice to know someone else going through a similar thing at the same time

I was approved 2 wks after my 6 month program was over

My wating period was 3 months. I had my first surgeon's consult on July 28th, dietitian in August, September and October. Had the psych eval, lab tests, and stress tests in September. Last visit with dietitian on October 24th. Paperwork submitted after last visit, approved in one week and surgery on November 19th! It was really very smooth looking back. At the time it seemed like so many hoops but it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Fortunately didn'thave to have a ton of pre-op testing so it wasn't too bad.

I would suggest talking with the person in the office that deals with scheduling. They should have a good idea of how long the process will take and length of time to get a surgery date once approved.

I had to go through the sixth month process as well. My problem was in order to get a follow up appointment with shrink it took another 8 weeks, very frustrating. And then finally it went to insurance for approval. The approval was very fast 48 hours and I was approved. Then surgery was scheduled 3 weeks later.

Total time from start to surgery date was 9 months.

I will tell you now, that I am glad about this process because having this surgery takes time to prepare. Your lifestyle changes need to begin immediately and if you do, you will be more successful. Especially if you have to quit smoking, quit caffeine, quit drinking and quit soda.

Thankfully I did none of these things which allowed me time to break habits like eating while I watch tv, eating slower, taking small bites and chewing like crazy. Also began practicing no liquids 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after. Also walking, I began walking right away to help build more stamina after surgery.

I think I have been very successful because of that time allowed to make changes. I certainly plan to continue my success.

Good luck on your journey and be patient, it will be worth it in the end!

I had to do a 6 month program as well started 06/04/2014. Last class was 11/20/2014. Toke about a month to be approved and scheduled - scheduled for 01/29/2015. 6 month sounds like a long time but it is the best thing for anyone considering surgery in my opionon, you need about that long to make a lifelong desicion like this.

So far it has been 5 months since my initial visit. I am currently waiting for insurance approval and that is taking quite a while. I am glad for the time it took for me to jump through hoops to qualify for the surgery, because it has made me look at a lot of the behaviors that got me into this situation and it has also helped me make some changes to my lifestyle that will help me succeed once I have the surgery. I am not real happy about the wait for insurance approval because I am so ready to go!

I have BCBS - Michigan

April 11, 2014 - Regular checkup with my doctor, told her I wanted surgery, she was able to record that visit as a weight loss consultation

May 2014 - Initial consultation with my surgeon. Counted as consultation #2

June 2014 - Nutritionist visit. #3

July 2014 - Nutritionist visit. #4

August 2014 - Nutritionist visit. #5 Also had Psych Evaluation in mid August, and results a week later.

September 2014 - Nutritionist visit. #6 Paperwork submitted to insurance, and had approval about a week and a half later. Scheduled my endoscopy and remaining classes.

October 6, 2014 - Surgery!

Hi I had to do the same as you go through a 6 month program and it had yo be a baractric center program of excellences , I was approved for surgury after my first orientation meeting, from start to finished it took 10 months. That was because I had yo wait fir a surgery date, the time flys fast and I learned do much in preping for this surgery, I had the opportunity to make positive changes, begin an exercise program . I now go to the gym 5 days a week I have had no complications and I love life now . Congrats and keep us posted .

I joined a program with my local hospital which coordinated closely with my insurance company (Blue Cross). The insurance required a 6 month process of monthly consults with the surgeon, dieting with progressive weight loss, plus a psychiatric consult and meeting with a dietician. I also had to join a gym with an electronic sign in (Gold's) and the insurance company checked how often I went during those 6 months.

So 3 weeks before my surgery date, my doctors' office got the approval done (in 4 days), Because I did everything required it was a forgone conclusion. Good luck to you. I am glad there was a standard protocol for me.

I discussed bariatric surgery with my PCP in February, had a consultation with my surgeon in March, completed all the required testing in late April and received insurance approval within a week of my psych evaluation, which was the final requirement. Then my surgeon had a cancellation so my surgery date was May 12.

So I went from thinking about it at my regular doctor appointment to having the surgery in 3 months.