Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are the magic words you need to say to get approved for revision?

I agree with above. Perhaps I'm cynical, but I generally assume that the surgeons will be glad to operate on any willing patient as long as insurance (or the patient) will pay for it. Of course with all tests and precautions to avoid any malpractice claims etc. as well. I think it's all about what insurance requires, but your surgeon should be able to partner with you on that and advise you on the best way to approach.

It seems to me like the surgeons want to get rid of the band so they are willing to do the conversion

Sorry, docs won't operate on anyone. Just not true.

I'd be surprised if your insurance will fund your sleeve at a BMI under 40.

At a BMI of 35, most insurance companies require 3 comorbidities. I'd say your magic words to try if you're a 35 BMI are: arthritis, stress incontinence, high blood pressure, diabetes, pre-diabetic condition.

Here's a complete list:

http://www.nationalbariatriclink.org/comorbidities-insurancequalification.html

First of all, anything is,possible...trust me. My story is very similar to yours although I really didn't have any issues with the band. My doc said that the band failed me, I did not fail the band! Lost about 100 lbs starting in 2007. It took many fills and tweeking to get me to my sweet spot. Found it and worked with it. In the summer my port started shifting so I went in for a port replacement and woke up with the entire band being removed due to erosion!!!! I was shocked, sad and feel like someone took the only thing that had ever worked for me in 30 years away just like that, snap!! I immediately began the revision proceed but with a BMI of 26, there was no way. I tried, I truly did to keep the weight off but at 50 lbs additional and 2 co mortalities I was approved for the sleeve. Had it done 1 week ago from tonight and it was the best thing ever. I have CIGNA and I had a tough time, but other people have had smooth sailing with CIGNA...I just can't figure them out. Make sure you find out if your ins will only cover 1 bariatric proceedure a lifetime. Sleeve is fantastic so far

I assume this is directed at me... As you've written your response - yes of course that's not true. And you certainly don't have to be "sorry" for saying so. Just for the record what I said had many more caveats than what you've said below (the tests to rule out safety concerns and malpractice concerns represent many ways in which docs will rule out surgery for any individual).

My point was that it's more about insurance and established practices than the doctor's personal feeling is about the individual patient. EDIT - and that surgeons are financially motivated to help patients get approved for surgery.

Sorry, docs won't operate on anyone. Just not true.

Edited by thesuse2000

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches