Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dear veterans...... Need help..... :)

This February I will have been banded for 7 years. It's has been a journey... Ups, downs and inbetweens! I have lost weight (over 100lbs) and managed to keep it off. I have also experienced many stalls in weight loss.

For over a year, I was too tight. I realized it, but was too scared to loosen it as I didn't want to risk gaining any weight. (I was also on almost complete exercise restriction due to a herniated disk which is now fixed and I am almost back to a normal exercise regime). I would throw up almost every day, almost every meal (morning were especially bad and sometimes struggled to get medications down). Finally, the acid reflux got so unbearable, that I simply had to get an unfill. I have a 10cc band and my (and my doctors) records indicated that I was sitting at 5.8cc (I was previously at 5.8, went to 6.0, and back to 5.8). When the doctor pulled all the Fluid out, we were both surprised to see that 6.2cc came out (not quite sure how that happened)!!!!! But no wonder I felt so tight!!! We removed 0.6cc and I am at 5.6cc (I hope...lol).

Once removed, I was immediately better. It's been an month and a half, and I have had no bouts of acid reflux and the only time I have had anything come back up is if I take too big a bite and don't chew properly.

What's the problem you ask???? I've gained 10lbs with my new found 'freedom'. I am able to eat bigger portions (it seems without even realizing it at first - just so happy not to be throwing up and eating more 'normal') and I am not feeling full as long between meals as before.

I am not sure what to do. I am soooo paranoid about even getting the smallest of fills and having the acid reflux and throw up come back. Does the elusive 'sweet spot' really exist where one can have it all.... Restriction without any of the nastiness......

Any advice, suggestions, help from you 'lifers' out there would be greatly appreciated!!!! I can't let all this hard work go to waste.

P.S. My surgeon was doing my fills/unfills, but due to the fact that I live far away from him and travel is complicated, he had set me up with a more local doctor who does my fills for me.

Keona:

re: "I am not feeling full as long between meals as before."

I've shared many of your same struggles. The BIG focus for me, is to continue with the notion that 'feeling full' is a false sign and NEVER served me well in any of my pre-OR-postBand life.

What serves to moderate my own circumstance, is to recognize the difference between 'hungry' and 'NOT hungry'.

Any food intake based on 'full feeling' is doomed, as that sensation never lasts long for me.

The goal of eating is be NOT hungry.

Any eating when NOT hungry is 'sport eating'.

So I understand your concerns and struggle at times with you, toward our similar Goal.

Even now, at times 'one or two bites' is plenty, yet the habit of eating the whole thing remains strong.

It helps to downsize the eating bowl.

Cheers in your journey.

Just an idea here, measure out your portions to what you used to be able to eat. Eat them, wait 1/2 hr or so and see if you're still hungry. (Put away all your food, don't leave any out within site. ) If you are still hungry, fill in with more Protein , fruits or veggies. If you're not still hungry, maybe you were just "cleaning your plate ". Old habits die hard. Good luck !

Jack, I love your "sport eating" terminology; so true. I find myself cruising toward the kitchen sometimes and have to remind myself that I don't do that anymore. Since I work at home, it is such an automatic response when I want to get up from my desk, if I'm procrastinating, if I want a little reward for something well done or if I'm doing the old prep for something I don't want to do. So this is what I tell myself, "that's right, I don't do that anymore." It works much of the time. Thank you, Band!

I'm in a similar situation after being tight for more than a year and was so afraid to get an unfill. I finally realized I was too skinny and had .4 taken out. I've gained 8 lbs in 2 months. I guess I look ok, but I feel like i gained it all back.

Now I'm back to counting calories and Protein grams to make sure I stay on track. Nobody knows, but I'm actually trying to lose those 8 lbs. I have been lectured about it, not wanting to hear it again.

I've had the same exact issues, but decided not to get any Fluid removed. I noticed specifically what I was eating was contributing to my band becoming inflamed (alcohol seemed to contribute a lot, ugh). But I know exactly how you feel and although I was able to get back to normal by changing my diet a bit, that feeling of sickness and reflux is one of the most uncomfortable things I have ever experienced. I would say try to eat more filling foods, such as oatmeal, and maybe incorporate small healthy Snacks throughout the day (like fruits and vegetables) to keep that feeling of "full." I also understand your paranoia to get a fill and my advice is try to tweak your diet before getting a fill. Keep a diary of your foods, too, if you're not doing that. I hope you are able to keep going strong without a fill (or if you get a fill, that terrible reflux doesn't return!!). Try not to get discouraged, you've come so far!

all the best!

Theresa

So everyone I had lap band done first in 2009 with two slips and removed this past April. I wish I done bypass to begin with.. I am a month postop and it is so much better then the lap band would ever be.

I also had these se problems. I had a revision in May to the RNY. Best section I have ever made. I also wish I had done the RNY in the first place. Please be cautious of the throwing up and acid reflux. I now have Barrett's esophagus from having the band and will have to take medicine for the rest of my life. Not something to play with at all.

Having the band too tight will definitely give you medical problems. This doesn't make it he bands fault. I monitor carefully that I have no acid reflux and all is ok. I am not allowed to get a fill if I am not following the diet and monitoring everything.

Compliance is a hard job. Diligence is hard Weighing 80lbs more is harder than any of those. I'm thrilled with my band for many years. Not perfect. But really happy w/a size 12

I don't ever remember a size 12. Size 14 I was so skinny as I am large boned. A 16 would be heaven. An 18 would be great

Marie

It is loving ourselves that I find hard at times. And whatever is a great size for you.. We are all behind our fellow bandsters feeling right in their own skin????

It has taken me so long to write this post. I first noticed the change in my eating habits when I was the care taker of my father which had cancer. After my dad passed away it just made me feel good to eat. Now that the scale is moving upwards I am miserable and unhappy about my decisions. It has taken me sometime to say this has to stop. The scale has moved up 15 pounds from my lowest weight but I now have a new problem. My back problems started a few years ago but the pain has come back with a vengence. I just need some encouragement from others to help get me back on the right track. The death of my dad was really hard for me but I know he is not suffering anymore. While I could use any excuse in the book, this is my life here. I am open to any suggestionsat this point. I can only blame myself for the choices I have made.

I can DEFINITELY relate to this. I got so depressed when I was dealing with my parents failing health/deaths and a very stressful job! I ATE!! Then I got my lapband and lost 60 lbs. but I need to lose so much more! It is a struggle, but it is so wonderful to be able to do more things with family and friends! I struggle every day!! If you don't do it for yourself, do it for your family and friends. You may not always feel it, but they need you. Find a person/ group that will hold you accountable, get a fitbit, go to a support group, read your Bible, and pray. You are not alone!!