Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Facial Hair

When it comes to laser hair removal not all lasers are created equally. An IPL will do very little for hair removal. LightSheer's Duet 800 nm diode laser is considered the best the industry has to offer.

My hormones went crazy after surgery and I started breaking out. The dermatologist put me on Spironolactone four months ago and I haven't had any blemishes since. It's a miracle! I wish I knew about this stuff years ago. I don't even have to wear makeup anymore. This medicine also is suppose to decrease facial hair.< /p>

This is what I've been on in the past as well as metformin (not a diabetic, it was for hormone control) and they both workerd well, I should go back on them, it was really the only thing that help the hairy situation

I'm about 2 months post op and I've noticed a somewhat substantial change in my situation with this. I mainly grow it on either side of my chin, and for a while it was coming in very dark and the hairs were very thick. I had to shave it every day or every other day. Lately its been much lighter and I shave probably 2x per week or less because the color is much lighter and it is not as coarse. Hallelujah.

Update: I purchased a 6 treatment Groupon laser hair removal package ($104) using a LightSheer Duet Diode laser and it worked like a charm! I am only on treatment 4 and I have seen a huge difference! If your going to go laser find a place with the Duet!

Why is life so cruel to women! ???? My best friend told me she has hair EVERYWHERE. At least I am not covered in hair over my body, but I am sprouting white hairs on my chin and around my lips. I leave the house thinking I've done an ok job plucking those suckers out, until I am stuck in traffic in my car, and see all the ones I missed in my rear view mirror, or my husband "helpfully" points one out ????

My chin and upper lip hair was much more pre-op. I still have it but now it seems finer and slower to grow. I usually pluck it but my sister is using some kind of epilator that I might check into.

I just wanted to mention though that my step-daughter works in a spa as an aesthetician (facials, etc) and she told me that laser treatment can help with facial hair that is more "normal" colored but won't do squat for the white bristles. I have some of that going on, so I just pluck the ones that still come in. Like I said, much less than when I was 95 pounds heavier. I don't have anything to back this up but I think it's because less fat means less hormone production. (cause fat cells do this along with your ovaries, etc.)

I also have neck and chin hair...ugh! And it has not gotten any better or worse. Every purse and every vehicle I own has a pair of tweezers....no joke.

I also have facial hair, however, mine is not hormone related. I have a condition called hirsutism and it is genetic.

Hirsutism is just the term for excessive facial hair, it can be genetic or hormonal

I used to be a hairy beast. Lord...plucking, shaving, bleaching..ugh. I think between the drop in estrogen, the weight loss, and who knows what else...things are much better. I still go to get waxed every other week, but I don't do anything in between and it's not terribly noticible...certainly not like it was when I was younger.

PCOS....I have spend crazy money....on hair removal....hirutism is apart of it....

UPDATE: I have gone thru 6 sessions of laser hair removal with a 'Duet (II) Light Sheer' (In Offce Hair Removal Machine). Best model available and got a great price going thru Groupon. LITERALLY no more Hair growth on my upper lip and chin! I have learned that not all laser hair removal machines are created equal. (Never use an IPL for hair removal its painful and never works ESPECIALLY if you have pcos). Now that I'm done with laser hair removal going to start using my 4% hydroquinone cream for my remaining melasma. Will update in a few months!

My hormones went crazy after surgery and I started breaking out. The dermatologist put me on Spironolactone four months ago and I haven't had any blemishes since. It's a miracle! I wish I knew about this stuff years ago. I don't even have to wear makeup anymore. This medicine also is suppose to decrease facial hair.

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 21 and prescribed Spironolactone. I thought it was a miracle pill for a long time because my skin was flawless, with invisible pores, no blemishes, and a lovely glow. I lost weight at first, too. Over time I began to experience detrimental effects from it, with weight gain being a major issue. It's a bit contradictory because it can make you lose weight at first, but over time can actually make you gain weight. I noticed a sharp increase in weight gain when I bumped up to 200mg. At first I thought it was due to age because I was hitting my late 20s, but it was so rapid. I began doing searches of it online and found that many other women had experienced weight gain and other unpleasant effects. I also read some alarming reviews of it (along with many happy ones) on MakeupAlley. If you go the site you can do a search of Spiro reviews with lowest ratings first. There are a few from women who've taken it long-term and have very negative reviews.

I'm not advocating against taking it because it definitely helped me out at first with my complexion. I just am writing this as a word of warning and to encourage that anyone taking it be mindful about weight gain.

I'm post menopausal. Comes with the territory. I shave my chin every few days.