Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Friendships and Gastric bypass surgery

Husband says if he knew surgery would make me do much nicer hr would have told me yrs ago to have surgery.

That's hilarious. My husband says much the same thing about my motorcycle: he had no idea it would make him so much easier to get along with. ????

Sometimes you outgrow certain friends. I have def grown during this process as a person & I think we all learn things about ourselves as we go thru this & become stronger for it & healthier! I have a friend who I love as a person but have outgrown because we no longer do any of the same things our lives aren't on a similar path. I'm figuring out who I can share this journey with & who I don't need to waste the energy because they will only be negative.

@@leag78 When I tell her about my having surgery, she's gonna have to be on board or be prepared not to see as much of me because now my nutrition isn't just about my weight, it's my whole life.

@@blashlee LOL, she will literally not seeing as much of you! :)

I have told one girlfriend that I am going to go through with this. Other than her and my husband, no one else knows I've made my decision, and only a handful of other people even know I'm considering it. My girlfriend is very athletic so she understands why I want to be healthy and the benefits of having a body that moves the way you like. She's also one of the most compassionate and caring people I've ever met. Her biggest concern is my psychological state after surgery and once I start losing weight. We've talked about my body image issues, and I've told her that I think there will be some unknown things that will come up as I start getting thinner (feeling vulnerable, no longer having my "fat suit" as protection). She thinks I should have a counselor lined up to talk to for the post-op phase, just in case. That was great advice.

Your true friends will only be happy for you and continue to encourage you through your journey. If you have someone in your life who is making you feel bad for the changes that are happening in your life due to the weight loss you should distance yourself from these people. You should be as proud as you can be for making the decision to lead a healthy lifestyle. Don't ever let anyone take that away from you! Good luck with everything!

My weight has changed me for the better I now see people for who they are and people who I thought were friends were not especially my ex BFF who became so envy that she stop talking to me. changed because I wanted to be healthy and i exercise and ate healthy but remain the same person. Thank God I have a husband and family who were supportive. Now my ex BFF wants to be friend again and has gain a lot of weight. I now have new friends that I have met at the gym and I do not have time for silly people who are insecure by others success. If they do not remain your friends through thick and then you do not need them. Good luck.

Feel free to message me anytime you want and everything that you explaining is exactly what all of my friend said it's a very normal and fortunate so don't think it's anything you're doing wrong it's just jealousy and hopefully they'll grow out of it but chances are they might not

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches