Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy New Year Everyone! Since I started puréed foods, I, also, began putting my intake into MyFitness Pal to measure nutrients and Protein. I know I'm not eating a lot, not even eating the 5 small "meals" I'm suppose to be eating.

With calories, is it normal to keep track of how much you are eating in the early stages? Or do most people just concentrate on Protein and liquids intake?

And later on, like 2-3 months out, is there a calorie goal to stay around? I've seen some people say 800 to 1000. Just wondering what everyone's experience and opinion is on this.

FYI- I'm eating about 400-500 calories at this point at 2 weeks out. Each "meal" is around 100 calories.

It varies. Some programs are focused more on just meeting the Protein & Fluid goals, other have general calorie goal. Mine recommended 400-600 weeks 1 - 6 and 600 -800 weeks 7 -12. I'm noticing since I have increased my gym days it varies according to activity level. If it's a non gym day I can stay within 600 -800 and be completely satisfied but on my gym days I need to eat between 800 -1000 because I'm hungry! On a good gym day I can easily burn 800 calories or more. When I do I often need a snack or I am starving. That snack usually takes my calories up a little higher. I just make it a point to have a high Protein snack.

Through Week 16, I found it easy to hit 800 calories/day. But in Week 17 my P.A. told me to start moving my daily cals up toward 1,000 to increase my metabolism. I did, and that resulted in my first stall (have been bouncing up/down a pound or so during the last two weeks). However, I'm sure the stall will break soon.

At this point, I have only another 22 pounds to lose, so I'm fine with losing a little slower now.

This is such an interesting process.

My advice to you would be to keep it simple: Just follow your center's instructions and listen to your body. Everything you do eat should offer your body good nutrition. Stay away from low-value foods and sliders. Eat Protein first. When you can add more food, go for vegetables and fruits. This is the biggest opportunity you'll ever have to learn how to feed your body, not your head.

Best wishes to us all.

I am at 7-weeks out as of today. I am just able to start introducing new foods. Week 1-2 was liquids only (no food intake at all). Weeks 3-6 were mushy foods only (maybe 200 calories per day). Our calorie intake now is anywhere between 200-400 daily.

Maybe it is what state you are from but it seems alot of individuals on this site have a "drain site", eat food way too early after surgery, staples/steri-strips or glue plus many other differences. Surgeries ranged anywhere from 40 minutes to 5 hours depending upon what was being performed.

What I did notes is that we all went through the 3-4 day post op depression/crying. Which made me feel good because I only thought it was me.

To date I have lost 50 pounds and loose about 3 pounds per week now. I am able to start doing more intense exercise minus stomach crunches.

Have a happy and healthier 2015..............

Pretty sure everyone gets a drain during surgery if they have the procedure done laporascopically. It's how they drain off excess fluids while working. The only variable is when the drain is pulled. I never went through any depression or crying at any point in time.

Hi.

Those surgeons who have performed many of these operations do not use them because there is no medical reason to do this. I have read others who stated their surgeons did not use them either. Those surgeons who were not so trained seemed to use the drain. I am thankful I did not get it, I heard it hurts to be pulled out and would not want to go through that pain.

Annamarie

@@Tauruslady5 - no it's doesn't hurt. You feel it kind of running through you but nothing that resembles pain. My surgeon is the chef of the department. I do find that my program tends to have a more cautious, conservative approach. I was fine with that since I has zero pain or complications.

I did not have a drain. And I ate food way earlier than you. Lol it's all dependent on your surgeon and their practice. I have a great one! My surgery was a breeze. By 2 weeks PO I was on purée/mashed and by 4 weeks my lifetime diet. My weight loss has been consistent and I take in 6-700 calories a day with ease at 2 months PO. Down 39 pounds. Just because it's not what your dr did doesn't mean it was the wrong way to do it.

Edited by kikicoates78

Agree with @@kikicoates78, different programs have different protocols. I had a drain. But I was all liquids first 2 weeks, then purees, then soft foods & whatever I can tolerate at 6 weeks. I'm not one who weighs frequently. My last weight check was on 12/19 and I was down 48lbs.