Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things people don't seem to talk about...

My reason for posting the complications I have gone through is a teaching tool. Not to complain. I researched this surgery for 2 years before I had it and never read anything other then you could die. I did not know this forum existed..And at the time here there were others who were struggling to get through the tough times of complications....

Posts have helped others because I have had people phone me, skype me and mail me to ask for support as they need help emotionally, and mentally to get through them..Just as I did! and do..So if you don't need that kind of support that is wonderful for you. But there are others who are thankful to know they are not alone......I know I am....

Surgery veteran or not...what can happen with WLS needs to be said so that people are informed.....And can make an informed decision....

@rjs/beginning With all due respect, we will have to agree to disagree. Complication posts cause me to unnecessarily worry about something that while horrible, may only affect 1% of the population. Kind of like being pregnant and then everyone and their mama feels it's okay to share labor horror stories or horrible complications. For me personally, it teaches me nothing but paranoia. I am aware of the things to watch out for, as my surgeon gave me a list. I know my body enough to know when things require a trip to the emergency. Complication/issue posts get waaaay more views than other types of posts...so they are helping someone. Just not me.

I'm with @ProjectMe. I too did my research. I've also have friends die from bypass and one friend who has chronic problems due to not getting enough nutrients. On the other hand I also have a few friends who are perfectly fine. I did my homework and was aware of the pros and cons when I made my decision. I then made sure to follow all of my doctors orders. However I find this board to be very vocal with posting about things gone wrong. If I had found this forum pre-op I think it would have scared me silly. When I went to my support group I didn't even name this site because I didn't want to encourage newbies to read some of the stories shared here. I wanted people to know it's not all pain and suffering. many were shocked when I said I had no gas pains. I just think it would be nice to hear more about the positive tales.

Isn't it nice we can all take what helps us and leave the rest!

ALL the online forums generate much more conversation about problems than about how well things are going.

For one thing, people who aren't having problems tend to post a lot less.

And people tend to post more when they are challenged.

(Of course, you always get chatty people like me who just like to process their WLS journey by chatting incessantly online, whether their experience is positive or negative.)

Therefore, this forum likely paints WLS as a more negative experience than WLS in general really is.

The most posts tend to be made just prior to surgery and right after surgery. Eventually, most people work through their early phases, then they get onto real food and real life takes over. Eventually, a few pop back in to say, "Best decision I EVER made!"

I had the sleeve surgery to not only loose weight but for my health. I have been diabetic for 20 years and it gas almost killed me. I have done all I can to keep the sugars under control. I would diet and my blood sugar wouldn't drop enough so I would be starving and shaking and overeat. The meds made me hungry. Starving. I knew I needed a tool to overcome that..I wanted full bypass but I could barely do the sleeve because the sugars have destroyed my liver. I weigh 200 lbs have no colestral problems as actually have low blood pressure. I would like to drop 50 lbs but the main reason I am doing this is the sugar. I have been off meds for three weeks . now and off insulin unless my sugars go to 150. They haven'tin two weeks . I have a ton if energy food is no longer controlling my life. That I s what keeps me going. Not loosing weight or if I can wear skinny jeans but that food doesn't control my life. Sure I miss greasy pizza and a big crunchy salad..and even biting into a crisp delicious apple. But I want to live a longer life. That to me is more important

All I seem to see on here are how amazing everyone is doing, how they're the model patients, getting all their Protein, Vitamins, Water intake, daily hours in the gym etc. I had my surgery in Nov 14 and here's what I e learnt so far....

1) some foods that are bad for you are easier to eat e.g chocolate

2) I'm still hungry and I still crave all the food I did before

3) you get bored or the same food choices very quickly

4) Protein shakes, Protein Bars are disgusting

5) your breath stinks and you have a taste of metal/metallic in your mouth

6) you don't lose the weight as quickly as you might think/hope... but you do lose

7) the novelty of only being able to eat soft tiny portions wears off and sometimes you wish you could join the rest of the family for a big old dirty Chinese

Having said all that it is worth it, I'm so glad I had it done. In 2 months I've lost almost 35 pounds. I thought I wouldn't be hungry... I am. I thought I wouldn't be able to eat chocolate/sweet stuff... I am. I've now accepted that and know I need to resist as much as I can.

LOL - yes, all of these things apply to us all (except I really like the Protein shakes..BariWise RockyRoad bars are fabulous!).

It's not all flowers and rainbows - you got that right! But for the most part, it is the most postive thing I have ever done for myself.

Having done extensive research beforehand, developing a healthy expectation of what the sleeve will and won't do and what the possible upsides and downsides are all conributed to my overall sense of well-being before and after surgery. I can't say anything pre- or post-op came as a surprise after reading so much of the great information provided by my surgeon, this site, and youtube videos that so many have posted.

Edited by AlwaysVegas