Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Illegal aliens

I dont agree with the President on much - but I do on immigration. It's evident that the illegal immigrant population has been a boon to our economy - not a burden. Spin doctors would say different, but the reality is they came b/c work was available in many industries. If they left, US cit would not be swarming at those jobs - we would have an economic melt-down. It makes sense to legalize hardworking people who truly aspire to the American dream so that they can continue to be productive members of society. I'll agree to deport these folks when the tribes agree to deport all of us.

As for the environment, China is an environmental disaster. And now that China is converting from bicycles to gas-driven vehicles the environment is going to become much worse. And of course her factories are small, old, and inefficient with no quality or environmental controls. Yes, her economy is booming but at a cost which many of her citizens must bear.

Green, your sources seem accurate to me! I heard last night that within 5 years, 1/3 of the pollution in California (where I live) will be coming from China. Where are the protests over their environmental policies?? Why do they seem to get a pass? :mad: Sorry, still ranting.....

Have you all been reading or hearing about all the products we're importing from China that are tainted or unhealthy in some way? Dog food was just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm all for requiring foods and all products imported from other countries be labeled with the country of origin.

I Live In New Jersey. What About All The People Who Have Drivers Licences That Are From Out Of State, Nc, Tx, Fl, Ma, Tn And A Few Others. They Drive Very Expensive Cars That They Get In These States And Are Financed. The Insurance Also Comes From That State. The Address Is Not Even Real. The Payments On These Expensive Cars, Trucks, Vans And Suv's Are Not Being Made. When The Repo Man Comes Looking, They Are Not There. They Don't Live There. No One Can Find Them. I Pay $1,500.00 For 6 Mos Car Ins. They Make The Deposit Payment And Thats It, The Insurance For A Year In Some Of Those States Is Less Then $500.00 Per Year. Free Car And No Insurance Good Luck If You Get In An Accident With Them.

As Far As The Schools Go A Five Year Old Can't Go To School Across The Street Because They Are Told There Is No Room, But We Will Bus Them Across Town.

My Daughter (16) Was Told The Other Day They Would Not Hire Her At The Local Pharmacy Because She Does Not Speak English.

I Am Not Picking On Just One Race.

The Girl Next Door (from Brazil) Works In A Bar In Her Off Time She Does Prostituting From Her Home. She Does Drive A Great Looking New 2008 Suv And Does Not Have To Pay For It Or The Insurance. She Has Ma Plates. And All Her Money Is Tax Free.

The Rents Are So High Because They Put 10 People In A Two Room Apt.

We Have To Change Things Or What We Have Worked So Hard For Won't Be Here For Our Children Or Grandchildren.

Joyce

Strongly agree and I am an immigrant myself, but definitely went through the process and now it's even more dangerous with the terrorism.........

:rolleyes

Have you all been reading or hearing about all the products we're importing from China that are tainted or unhealthy in some way? Dog food was just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm all for requiring foods and all products imported from other countries be labeled with the country of origin.

I saw a cat whom I adored recently die of kidney failure and I have been wondering whether I may have fed him tainted cat food. His death was a slow and sad one.

In Canada all products are identified with their country of origin even if they are packaged here. This is the law and I have only recently, since the pet food scandal actually, been paying attention to food products.

I have, however, been paying attention to certain other types of products which are produced in China for over a year now; this has been ever since I read a lengthy article on how they routinely slaughter dogs and cats, and then process their fur in order to pass it off as fur which we in the West find more acceptable. Now I avoid buying anything which has fur trim and which is made in China. Up here it is easy to find fur scarves, and boots and slippers which have fur trim and which are made in China. Sometimes the fur is identified as rabbit but since reading the newspaper report I am no longer sure.

I also have an interesting anecdote. One of the two physiotherapists whom I see married into a Chinese family. He recently told me that his parents-in-law will not buy soya sauce which is made in China. They don't believe that it is safe.

I don't know how it is south of the border but up here we have a thriving trade in Chinese counterfeit products and this has been an on-going problem for many, many years. Of course the ports of entry are strung out along the Pacific coast and we are told that the RCMP doesn't have sufficient manpower to monitor every shipment. And so every so often they try issuing warnings to us, the citizens, that buying cheap counterfeit goods is an ethically bad and also possibly a dangerous thing.

The big concern at the moment in my province is that a counterfeit version of Colgate toothpaste is being sold in the discount stores and that this product contains toxic material. It seems that the products which they are choosing to counterfeit are not high-end designer goods but the items which we consume a lot of - Duracell batteries, computer peripherals, toothpaste! - stuff for which we would be happy to pay a little less.

Of course this tragedy with the animal food provided by China had nothing to do with counterfeit products. This, sadly, was on the level. And of course all those dried or canned ethnic products which come from China are now likely on the products to avoid list for cooks who routinely use them. I myself am thinking of tossing my own collection of cans of Water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, baby corn, black bean sauce, my array of canned and dried mushrooms, etc. All of these items have entered the country legally but as China's manufacturing system still consists of a multitude of micro-factories with out of date technology it is understandable that many of the modern requirements which we take for granted will be unreliable. The standards of production will not be uniform and there will not be sufficient qualified personnel available to inspect and to insist upon a correct standard of quality. This is because China is a very, very large country and she is still an emerging economy.

Perhaps it may help you to understand China if you were to remember your own history a hundred years ago. In China there is still no big agriculture nor many big factories. China is still an aggregate of small farmers and tiny factories. The production of these small farmers and those tiny factories are then harvested by larger - usually state - business concerns which then market these products to the West.

There are many Chinese folks living in my city and I have many Chinese friends. I have always had high regards for both my friends and for the Chinese culture though I know little about it but I find that I have mixed feelings about the rise of the new China. I am concerned about the environmental and cultural damage that I see as being a very real possibility in the new emerging China. I see the new China as possibly on the cusp of experiencing the same extraordinary economic, social, and cultural success as the American Republic began to experience in the late 1880s, a success which allowed America to dominate the 20th century, but, unlike the United States, this is a country which is in no way ethically prepared for this, I think. For though China has made, as we all know, extraordinary strides with respect to her economy, and must be given her props for this, this is a culture which still does not understand, let alone value, the notion of collaborative thinking. Some of us call this notion of collaborative thinking democracy. Domocracy is fine concept which we treasure. :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

And, ooof! It is Independence Day tomorrow and it was Canada Day on July da 1st. And by the way Green is going to be uncelebrating her birthday on Independence Day, eh. :help: Tomorrow is when Green drifts deeper into her rusting years, eh. blehhh, fer green. or whatever. :rolleyes

Just a few more hours at your current age, green. Sad. I know. I had a b-day on June 20. Still can't actually say the number aloud. Shocking how I still feel like a thirty year old in my mind, but my body betrays me. This aging thing is very strange indeed. I would love to age gracefully but I don't think it is in me. Happy Birthday a few hours early. I hope you have a wonderful day and all of your friends and DH make you feel very special - because you definitely are!!! :whoo:

I can't flippin sleep, it's just after 4am and the bloody birds are making a racket outside. In this state of existentialist despair all I can think of is why waste a quarter cup of Laphroaig in barbecue sauce!

Also, it's now officially your birthday green and it was yours not too long ago Bjean. A gemini and a gemini cusp. No wonder!

Happy Birthday to both you girls.

Thanks to both of you for the kind b-day wishes. :( And by the way, I took quite a bath in scotch last night in order to render myself stupid against the dawning of my birthday. Definitely excessive behaviour but how's a grrl gonna exceed without excess? And I think it may have worked! :cool: I feel fairly numb at the moment.:rolleyes

while were at it, my ancestors came here as endentured servants. will i get slavery reparations? thats right, my family were irish slaves. if i do get reparations, i want to put it towards funding the war. can i do that?

HATS OFF TO CHARLIE DANIELS....AT LEAST HE HAS THE COURAGE TO SPEAK HIS MIND!!!

I don't know how everybody else feels about it, but to me I think Hispanic people in this country, legally or illegally, made a huge public relations mistake with their recent demonstrations.

I don't blame anybody in the world for wanting to come to the United States of America, as it is a truly wonderful place.

But when the first thing you do when you set foot on American soil is illegal it is flat out wrong and I don't care how many lala land left heads come out of the woodwork and start trying to give me sensitivity lessons.

I don't need sensitivity lessons, in fact I don't have anything against Mexicans! I just have something against criminals and anybody who comes into this country illegally is a criminal and if you don't believe it try coming into America from a foreign country without a passport and see how far you get. What disturbs me about the demonstrations is that it's tanta-mount to saying, "I am going to come into your country even if it means breaking your laws and there's nothing you can do about it."

It's an "in your face" action and speaking just for me, I don't like it one little bit and if there were a half dozen pairs of gonads in Washington bigger than English peas it wouldn't be happening.

Where are you, you bunch of lily livered, pantywaist, forked tongued, sorry excuses for defenders of The Constitution? Have you been drinking the Water out of the Potomac again? And even if you pass a bill on immigration it will probably be so pork laden and watered down that it won't mean anything anyway. Besides, what good is another law going to do when you won't enforce the ones on the books now?

And what ever happened to the polls, guys? I thought you folks were the quintessential finger wetters. Well you sure ain't paying any attention to the polls this time because somewhere around eighty percent of Americans want some thing done about this mess, and mess it is and getting bigger everyday.

This is no longer a problem, it is a dilemma and headed for being a tragedy. Do you honestly think that what happened in France with the Muslims can't happen here when the businesses who hire these people finally run out of jobs and a few million disillusioned Hispanics take to the streets?

If you, Mr. President, Congressmen and Senators, knuckle under on this and refuse to do something meaningful it means that you care nothing for the kind of country your children and grand-children will inherit. But I guess that doesn't matter as long as you get re-elected. Shame on you.

One of the big problems in America today is that if you have the nerve to say anything derogatory about any group of people (except Christians) you are going to be screamed at by the media and called a racist, a bigot and anything else they can think of to call you

Well I've been pounded by the media before and I'm still rockin' and rollin' and when it comes to speaking the truth I fear not. And the truth is that the gutless, gonadless, milksop politicians are just about to sell out the United States of America because they don't have the intestinal fortitude to stand up to face reality.

And reality is that we would never allow any other group of people to have 12 million illegal in this country and turn around and say, "Oh it's ok, ya'll can stay here if you'll just allow us to slap your wrist."

And I know that some of you who read this column are saying "Well what's wrong with that?" I'll tell you what's wrong with it. These people could be from Mars as far as we know. We don't know who they are, where they are or what they're up to and the way the Congress is going we're not going to.

Does this make sense? Labor force you say? We already subsidize corporate agriculture as it is, must we subsidize their labor as well?

If these people were from Haiti would we be so fast to turn a blind eye to them or if they were from Somalia or Afghanistan? I think not.

All the media shows us are pictures of hard working Hispanics who have crossed the border just to try to better their life. They don't show you pictures of the Feds rounding up members of MS 13, the violent gang who came across the same way the decent folks did. They don't tell you about the living conditions of the Mexican illegal some fat cat hired to pick his crop.

I want to make two predictions.

No. 1: This situation is going to grow and fester until it erupts in violence on our streets while the wimps in Washington drag their toes in the dirt and try to figure how many tons of political hay they can make to the acre.

No 2: Somebody is going to cross that border with some kind of weapon of mass destruction and set it off in a major American city after which there will be a backlash such as this country has never experienced and the Capitol building in Washington will probably tilt as Congressmen and Senators rush to the other side of the issue.

I don't know about you but I would love to see just one major politician stand up and say, "I don't care who I make mad and I don't care how many votes I lose, this is a desperate situation and I'm going to lead the fight to get it straightened out."

I don't blame anybody for wanting to come to America , but if you don't respect our immigration laws why should you respect any others?

And by the way, this is America and our flag has stars and stripes. Please get that other one out of my face.

God Bless America

Charlie Daniels

MY COUNTRY

IF IT IS YOURCOUNTRY,

SPEAK UP!

I am not against immigration -

just come through like everyone else

Get a sponsor;

have a place to lay your head;

have a job;

pay yourtaxes;

live by the rules;

and

LEARN THE LANGUAGE

as all other immigrants have in the past

and

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

PART OF THE PROBLEM

Think about this:

If you don't want to forward this

for fear of offending someone,

YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM!

Will we still be the Country of choice

and still be America if we continue

to make the changes forced on us by

people from other countries who came

to live in America because it is the

Country of Choice?

Think about it!

All we have to say is, when will

Someone do something about

MY RIGHTS?

We've gone so far the other way,

bent over backwards to not

offend anyone, that I am now

being offended.

But it seems no one has a problem

withthat.

"In God We Trust"

is our national motto. This is not

some Christian, right wing, political slogan.

We adopted this motto because Christian men

and women - on Christian principles - founded

this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. It is Time for America to Speak up !

This was in my email today! Since it was appropriate to this thread, I thought I would share it.........

Just a reminder, the above post is singer Charlie Daniel's opinions on illegal immigration. I agree with a lot of what he says but after I copied and pasted this from the email forward, I realized that it is not clear that it is from a statement HE published. I just wanted to clear that up!!!! Have a great day!

Thanks Devana. Sorry the flippin' birds are so inconsiderate! Hope you got caught up on your shut-eye.

Looks like Green has taken up the cause of not wasting a drop on barbeque sauce! :heh:

You go Green!! Glad one of us had a happy, painless birthday!

I am saving myself for this weekend. I'm gonna put some of that good stuff in some barbeque sauce, ice down a nice bottle of champagne, buy a pack of cigarettes, smoke one or two with my glass of bubbly, and pretend that I don't have to answer to anybody! :eyebrows: