Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Illegal aliens

I really like the point which you have just made. :car: You may be aware that a former Canadian and a press baron, Lord Conrad Black, has recently been convicted in an American court of certain financial malfeasances.

Financial misbehaviour is usually the result of greed. Innocent people who are on the outside of dishonest actions do get hurt, whether these folks are the taxpayers who underwrite the financial assistance of those who are on welfare, the shareholders of a company which has gone sour, shareholders who may have been planning for their own retirement or for their kids' education, or those individuals who had been earning a living by working for these same companies.

Yes, there are solid and responsible corporations who are run by fine and ethical people and there are decent folk who do land up on public assistance. I believe that neither the left nor the right should forget this.

I myself am actually pro big business although I do tend to speak like a left-wing nut in most of my posts. I believe that it takes big business and big money in order to bring about the kind of progress upon which we all rely. Mom and Pop style businesses do not bring us airlines, railroads, the trucking industry, advances in medical and pharmaceutical knowledge, computer technology, the internet, or, for that matter, any of the mod cons which we all take for granted. And it is only through big business that all of these products which we do enjoy have price tags which put them within the grasp of average people with average incomes.

Ugh! I hoping I am making sense. I am still recovering from my time up north with the in-laws. Lemme know if this post is incomprehensible, eh.:car:

Maybe you should go visit your in-laws more often (lol) because not only is your post comprehensible, I agree with it TOTALLY! :clap2: You put the whole big/small business thing into a great perspective!!

Maybe you should go visit your in-laws more often (lol) because not only is your post comprehensible, I agree with it TOTALLY! :clap2: You put the whole big/small business thing into a great perspective!!

Thanks for your generous feedback. :car: I do try to be thoughtful and coherent but I sure did write some long and rambling posts the night I first arrived home from the in-laws. :car: I was beat but I sure missed being on-line. :ranger: Not a good combination. :phanvan

LRBloom8: There are definitely some well-run corporations that are marvelous to work for and that contribute to the betterment of our communities. As I mentioned before, Hewlet-Packard has enjoyed a great reputation of taking care of its employees and I know for quite some time it was very difficult to get a job there. Ben & Jerry's in Vermont also did a great job of taking care of their own people and using vendors in Vermont whenever possible. The list goes on. In fact, we just started our own company and our goal is not to just make ourselves rich. We want to build a company where our employees can depend on us to provide a healthy and pleasant work environment and more than fair wages. As a company, we will do all we can to support our own community as well.

But when you're talking about corporate greed it is difficult to use the names of individuals because as in the case of many of the savings and loans, the tobacco industry and other companies, the name list is way too long. In many cases it took a team effort to conduct business on such a grand and greedy (in many cases unethical and even dishonest) level as some have in the U.S.

Once again, I certainly did not intend to lump ALL corporations into one big greedy bunch. But greed generated within the confines of large corporations does exist today in America and that was what I was talking about when I referred to corporate greed. I honestly don't think you would want me to list the names of many of the ones who have actually been prosecuted or fined for their corporate behavior.

And btw, I wonder how many specific people you were referring to when you said:

..."people who openly and knowingly exploit the weaknesses in our welfare system to increase their wealth, or to keep from working. There is nothing physically or mentally wrong with them, they just want to get additional income without working for it. On a side note, many of these people are very open with their political views: they hate George Bush because "he hates poor people."

Because that sounds like a pretty good job of lumping one class of people together to me. Besides, your phrase "increase their wealth" makes me scratch my head a bit. You think there are wealthy folks who are getting rich and richer on welfare? Or do you mean one or two people that you know of? Or 50 or 100? Or Thousands? :paranoid

In fact, we just started our own company and our goal is not to just make ourselves rich. We want to build a company where our employees can depend on us to provide a healthy and pleasant work environment and more than fair wages. As a company, we will do all we can to support our own community as well.

And btw, I wonder how many specific people you were referring to when you said:

..."people who openly and knowingly exploit the weaknesses in our welfare system to increase their wealth, or to keep from working. There is nothing physically or mentally wrong with them, they just want to get additional income without working for it. On a side note, many of these people are very open with their political views: they hate George Bush because "he hates poor people."

Because that sounds like a pretty good job of lumping one class of people together to me. Besides, your phrase "increase their wealth" makes me scratch my head a bit. You think there are wealthy folks who are getting rich and richer on welfare? Or do you mean one or two people that you know of? Or 50 or 100? Or Thousands? :paranoid

BJean: Congratulations on starting your own business! I have found it so rewarding and it sounds like you are planning good things for everyone involved. Good for you!

If you re-read my post, I was referring to the number of people who come into my office looking to make some extra money by working "under the table" to keep from losing their disability/unemployment/housing or supplemental income benefits. The number in 15 years would be at least in the high 100's. And that is just in MY office.... in the years previous to that, I worked at various other agencies and saw the same thing. Unfortunately, the health care industry is a magnet for illegals and also for people who just want to "cheat the system". Since many elderly and other home-bound people need homecare, they are willing to employ anyone who will be willing to do the work. Check out your "help wanted" section in the newspaper. A lot of scam artists and people wanting to stay under the radar answer these ads. Many of these people have full-time jobs that they don't report, and spouses doing the same thing. They make good money doing caregiving; sometimes making $200-300 a day, yet they still get their benefits from the government. That was what I meant by "increasing their wealth". Let me reiterate that I have NO problem with truly needy people getting help, no matter what they need. I just don't like seeing people abusing the system. And to see people complaining about a country or a president (no matter who it is) that gives them the ability to live as well as they do by cheating just irritates me no end. :D

But when you're talking about corporate greed it is difficult to use the names of individuals because as in the case of many of the savings and loans, the tobacco industry and other companies, the name list is way too long. In many cases it took a team effort to conduct business on such a grand and greedy (in many cases unethical and even dishonest) level as some have in the U.S. Once again, I certainly did not intend to lump ALL corporations into one big greedy bunch. But greed generated within the confines of large corporations does exist today in America and that was what I was talking about when I referred to corporate greed. I honestly don't think you would want me to list the names of many of the ones who have actually been prosecuted or fined for their corporate behavior.

BJean: P.S. It was Green and I who were briefly discussing corporate greed yesterday..... I didn't challenge you on "making a list" so I am not sure where that is coming from. My post to you yesterday was a nice one about what you had shared as well as telling my "story"..... :nervous

LrBloom8: I probably misunderstood your earlier post. I rarely check the dates and times that things are posted. But you made a post that Green was responding to about the mention of corporations. You said we should speak about individual people instead of lumping them into coprorations because of the overuse of the term "corporate greed" - at least that was the way I interpreted the point you were making and that was what I was responding to.

I had forgotten that you told us you are in the medical field. And your post is really scary for me. We are getting ready to move my in-laws back home because my MIL hates the assisted living home where they've resided for the past month. We would like to have a full-time live in caretaker, who has some medical training of course, because my MIL has has had a couple of strokes and is wheelchair bound with all the attendant problems that presents. My FIL is too frail to lift her from the chair to bed, bathe her, and cook for her. Which is why we suggested assisted living in the first place. Now I'm scared about what kind of person we might place in their home with them. I appreciate the information you shared and we will be very careful to not only carefully check out the service who provides the person(s), but we will do our own background checks on the individuals.

I do not understand your last sentence in your next to the last post where you said you don't like to see people complain about a country or president that gives them (cheaters) the ability to live as well as they do. I'm usually pretty tired by the time I'm at LBT, and that went right over my head.

I appreciate the information you shared and we will be very careful to not only carefully check out the service who provides the person(s), but we will do our own background checks on the individuals.

I do not understand your last sentence in your next to the last post where you said you don't like to see people complain about a country or president that gives them (cheaters) the ability to live as well as they do. I'm usually pretty tired by the time I'm at LBT, and that went right over my head.

I think I was just ranting about people, legal and otherwise, taking from the system without giving to it, and then complaining about how bad this country is. If they are going to cheat and steal from programs that are put in place to help people, at least be grateful!! :cry

As for getting care for your MIL, you are on the right track with the background checks, etc. Also, never place an ad or take a caregiver from an ad in the newspaper. If possible, use an agency. There are no guarantees, but this will certainly weed out a lot of the bad apples. And be very careful if you decide to offer room and board in exchange for care. Most caregivers in that situation are really only looking for a place to live and aren't really interested in caring for someone. On the other hand, remember that there are a lot of really good and loving caregivers, so don't get discouraged. Just get help in finding them! I'm sure your in-laws will be much happier at home and a good caregiver will insure that.

If I can help, let me know!

Thanks so much! If we encounter a lot of problems, I may ask for your advice. :)

Thanks for explaining what you meant by that last sentence. I understand. And I agree! It makes no sense for them to complain if the system is paying their way.

L8Bloomr-So your business is an agency that provides home healthcare/caregivers to people who need it ? That sounds like such an interesting field. It is much needed in our society as we are getting older and older as the baby boomers reach retirement and beyond.

Bjean-I wish you much good luck on finding good care for your inlaws. As L8BloomR says be very careful.

L8Bloomr-So your business is an agency that provides home healthcare/caregivers to people who need it ? That sounds like such an interesting field. It is much needed in our society as we are getting older and older as the baby boomers reach retirement and beyond.

Bjean-I wish you much good luck on finding good care for your inlaws. As L8BloomR says be very careful.

Thanks for your nice comments, mrspruett. Yes, the home health-care field is becoming bigger and more necessary all the time. It is very rewarding...one of those "feel good at the end of the day" jobs, MOST of the time.... :guess It also makes it easier for us to find and help the truly needy in our area and to work with local charities.

I appreciate the encouragement, thanks!