Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At the beginning of my journey...

Well where to start...For the last couple of years I have been researching the gastric bypass surgery. I have been over weight for as long as I can remember. The problem I had been facing is not having insurance to cover the surgery. So after waiting which seems like forever. I was grateful for Obama Care. Now I am able to continue my journey of becoming a better ealthier version of myself.

I have always been that happy go lucky friend that people could easily talk to until I was that friend that slowly over the years became a hermit. I do not really go out much anymore. I like to stay home because aside from being uncomfortable in public it's been getting more difficult to navigate around. I have been in pain for as long as I can remember. My back hurts everyday, I have the heaviest worst menstrual cycle, I get severe leg cramps and have numbness in my legs which just isn't normal. I know I have slowly isolated throughout the years, Some times I feel as if people just can't understand what I go through on a day to day basis. I do not want people to feel sorry for me so as a coping mechanism I avoid people as much as possible except for my immediate family of course. I have a very supported and loving family and I know they worry and pray for me all the time. I am hoping with getting weight loss surgery will help me re-gain and transform into the person I want to be. There is so much I would still like to do and enjoy.

So in February this year I started my 6 month monthly weigh ins with my Doctor so that she could refer me to have the gastric bypass surgery. So in July I was referred to my gastric bypass surgeon. In October I had my consultation with him. And so it begins, the tests and prodding and poking. lol Needless to say I have been enjoying all this because I know I am getting closer and closer to my surgery.

Thus far I have had my blood tests, a couple of EKG's all good no problems there, chest x-ray, my psychological clearance with the head Doctor and a sleep study. By far the most unpleasant night of sleep I have had, and I have had many...lol. Tomorrow I have my nutrition class and on Dec 23rd I am having my upper endoscopy. So all in all I think I am just about done with this stage in the process. Hoping all test are positive then I'm hoping the Surgeon will finally give me a date for my surgery.

So I figured since I am getting close I really wanted be able to talk to people who have gone through this process. So I googled support groups for gastric bypass surgery and here you have me. In all reality there is only so much friends and family can give. I think I would also benefit from people who have been through or are currently going through the same that I am going through.

So I look forward to learning and talking to people who have gone though weight loss surgery and may learn and connect with people who I can form friendships with.

I'm in the same boat as you Tiffany.... I have my date but am really starting to get worried.... I came on here for support and peoples opinions who have gone through this... Hopefully I'll meet some people I can for friendships with too :)

Hi there to both of you! Welcome and nice to meet you both. In my opinion this site is very helpful to people who are going through this process, I was sorry I did not find it until a week after my surgery. I could have used an ear while I was going through the year of crazy pre op requirements.

Regardless, I did find it and am so thankful because I have made quite a few friends and certainly have found others like me with many of the same issues to talk to. It has been very helpful to my recovery and has helped me when I have had questions.

I wish you both the best and feel free to reach out anytime! Good luck and keep us posted on surgery dates!

Welcome, welcome! I am still going through the process. I was lucky and found this site when I first began considering wls. So I have made a few friends along the way. Found out some really great information, and had a few laughs, (which we all need some days). Don't be shy, reach out, and read everything. There are some very good people here. Happy Holidays!

Thank you!!!! People here are sooooo lovely... I am. Soooo glad I stumbled across this.... Up til today I was considering cancelling my surgery but now I'm feeling a lot less scared :)

Thank you for all your well wishes. I just came back from my nutrition class. It was sure an eye opener to say the least. Don't get me wrong I knew i would have to make changes it just so detailed that it was a very good informative meeting. I also discovered a few things of the people there that i didn't know before. So basically my nutritionist says ur stomach is going from the size of a football to the size of a shot glass. That pretty much brought it all into perspective.

@@Tiffany2015 that is quite an eye opener isn't it!! I hadn't heard that, but it really puts it into perspective. I enroll in my insurance companies bariatric program on January 2nd, so I'll schedule surgeons appointment and from what I understand the COE will schedule all my other required appointments. I did my 6 months of dr supervised diet already, I did my sleep study already.....so now it's just a matter of time. I'm excited to get started and stop waiting around! Anything you can share for folks like me who aren't as far along.....is certainly welcome!

Well today i finally got my surgery date, jan 28th. I was also told to start my liquid diet so i can lose as much weight before surgery as possible. So needless to say i took advantage of my last day of solids and had some carne asada. I also had a few drinks. To my surprise i have become a lightweight and got buzzed pretty quick. Lol so needless to say i am now stuicking with Water and keeping myself hydrated. Didn't over do it on anything so am proud of myself for that. I am really excited to be coming so close. You know every year people make their New Years Resolution, well this year i finally have one which i'm planning on fulfilling. ???? i am a bit nervous and excited. So this pre op liquid diet...any advice? What should i drink? Stay away from? Would appreciate any help and advice. Thanks! Happy New Years!!!

Hi Tiffany! I'm almost 4 weeks post op, so where your at is still fresh in my memory! For me, the pre op diet was hard! I avoided going out to eat with friends ect, period! I ended up eating lunch in my car to avoid the smell of other food at work. I didn't give up Diet Coke until the day before my surgery. That was one thing I couldn't give up! Lol Since surgery I have not touched it tho! :) I ate a lot of Soup, Jello, puddng, and Protein shakes. It was just getting it down and knowing soon things would change. I wish you luck, and let me know if you have any questions!

Edited by aropella

@@aropella

Hi. I got my surgery date for Jan 28th. I am super excited. I actually started my pre-op diet on Jan 2nd. It's been about a week. First couple of days were difficult. Being the weekend and all. It's like I was thinking about food even when I normally wouldn't just bc of the restriction that I couldn't eat it. Monday got easier being at work and all. I sort of got it down. It's still hard but I been taking it one day at a time. I have my pre-op appt with the surgeons coordinator on Jan 15th. I bought my Protein Shakes, multi Vitamin with Iron. calcium chews, only thing I'm missing is the vitamin b-12 sublingual...ordering that next week. Been drinking Protein shakes, Jello, yogurt, and of course broth. Excited but a lil worried about surgey to be honest. But as I read peoples stories, hearing advice and learning about the different things that happend to them, makes it a lil easier.