Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you notice how much others eat?

Cruises .. well, there are cruises and then there are cruises.

For the past five years, pre-op, hubby and I have gone on annual all-inclusive cruises. On every one of these cruises I lost 2 pounds in 2 weeks. No big weight loss, but no weight gain either.

That particular cruise line does not overserve its guests. Yes, one can certainly still overeat and gain weight there. But portions served at mealtime are small (definitely not American-sized), the restaurants are open only at mealtimes, and there are no food malls with hog dog stands, donut buffets, and ice cream parlors.

In contrast, most cruise lines seem to design the cruising experience as a food Bacchanalia and see their guests as Christmas gooses who must be stuffed every day.

I notice all the time... I search the menu for something small as to hide how much I am actually not eating. Plates arrive on the table and sometimes the sheer amount of food kinda throws me. I try to talk alot as to not stare while people eat. I surely notice the left overs. Use to me and boyfriend polished off large pizza, wing bites, now I have one square 2 inch piece thin crust and about a half of a wing bite. We now order a medium and there is still left overs.

I'm still at the stage where I'm trying really hard not to pay attention - mostly because my mouth still wants everything I see everyone else eating. I think this is going to be a lifelong problem and the less attention I pay to what people are enjoying on their plates, the better off I'll be!

Yes, I notice too! My husband used to always say I needed to reduce my portions...and now his portions look HUGE (they are not, just a lot more than what I eat). Yes, I was a full courser at restaurants too, it seemed that was "normal", others did it as well...I guess just not all body types can handle that type of eating.

@@Chrystee Yeah, I lost a couple of pounds on my recent cruise, which was unexpected, since I did eat more than usual, and only worked out once. But I had some bouts of sea-sickness too, so that may have had a little to do with it!

I had surgery on 11-4 and was in my purée stage during our thanksgiving lunch at work. While everyone had plates full of food I had a tiny spoon of mashed potatoes and only ate 1/2. I was scared to eat much. I did notice that everyone took an hour to eat and although I stretched my few bites out I was finished and simply being social early. Later I noticed something when I was with my sister... She had a toddler who at times will eat with no problems and there are other times it seems a constant battle for her to get him to eat a meal. Now that I'm post op my nephew who is 3 1/2 eats more than me currently. In speaking with my mom I told her that now I realize how "food" isn't as important and that I wanted to talk to my sister. That on the days my nephew isn't wanting to eat that maybe it's a key he really isn't hungry. When we have a big day playing and adventures in the park he sits quietly and eats like such a little man that he amazes me. Maybe the "clean" your plate rule should be set aside and we should focus on simply listening more to our body and remaining health. I think setting meal time is important and provides structure in which my sis aces! She's great and so on schedule. So if at meal time he doesn't feel hungry then maybe he really isn't. I know now that often my prior eating was out of emotions, stress, social gathering, and just about every other reason with simple nutrition being far from thought. :) thank you for listening to my rant and I hope you forgive me for the thread hijack! Lol it just seemed to fit in your post

** you may now return to your regular program**

AFTER you have had the surgery, you will definitely notice the change... After my surgery, it would almost make me sick to go to a restaurant and see what everyone was eating.... just the amount on their plates.....

AFTER you have had the surgery, you will definitely notice the change... After my surgery, it would almost make me sick to go to a restaurant and see what everyone was eating.... just the amount on their plates.....

Keep the focus on YOUR Protein.......

@@athena3127 I completely agree. I had the same issue with my son and his pediatrician told me to go with the flow with his eating patterns because they may go a day or two barely eating anything but then they'll eat a ton and make up for it. When we force them to eat on schedule, we teach them to stop trusting their hunger signals. My son is 8 now and I still follow the doctor's advice. Some days he skips meals and barely eats and then tonight he ate 2 hamburgers at dinner. And more importantly, I don't have to fight with him to try to get him to eat.

@@Chrystee Yeah, I lost a couple of pounds on my recent cruise, which was unexpected, since I did eat more than usual, and only worked out once. But I had some bouts of sea-sickness too, so that may have had a little to do with it!

I hadn't.. I just felt like I ate normal. We had our three meals, which dinner was a sit down with courses.. however, they were very small portions, so even though we ordered 2 or 3 of the dinner dishes, we would eat a few bites of each and be done.. but, it was also healthy food. I tried not to eat a lot of breads/pastas.. tried to eat my Proteins first.. plus, we worked out in the morning, and danced all night!

I've always been heavy, so when I had my first child, I never, ever worried about what my son was eating as a toddler.. He ate mostly very healthily anyway, but I never wanted to upset his natural cues to stop eating.

I hadn't.. I just felt like I ate normal. We had our three meals, which dinner was a sit down with courses.. however, they were very small portions, so even though we ordered 2 or 3 of the dinner dishes, we would eat a few bites of each and be done.. but, it was also healthy food. I tried not to eat a lot of breads/pastas.. tried to eat my Proteins first.. plus, we worked out in the morning, and danced all night!

Once you've had your surgery, they won't look like small portions anymore, LOL! I got very uncomfortable going to the sit-down restaurant, because the waiter was always concerned that I didn't like whatever dish I had ordered, and wanted to bring me something else. Then he would insist on bringing me a dessert and appetizer, even though all I ever ordered was the entree! I have vowed that next time I cruise, I am going to only eat at the buffet, because I can control my portions, and no one is breathing down my neck to make sure I eat!

Yes! It amazing I work in a hospital so we are always brought food, We had a holiday Breakfast lunch and dinner today and it is so crazy to see that people fill there plate and go back for a second I am struggling with this surgery as far as not being able to eat much without getting sick and everyone was so used to me eating a ton before never realized how much I ate before this!

Yes I notice it and it boggles my mind now. And food commercials are just revolting. I am 14 weeks out. Just under 60 lbs down.