Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does running get easier!?

@@danyelleb OMG that would be so awesome. I think a marathon is on my bucket list now....

I'm going to setup a message thread to see how much interest there would be in a Bariatric Pal Ragnar team. I think Vegas would probably be the best bet because tickets are cheap to there from everywhere. It's also in November so if you're just starting out you could train in that amount of time. Or if we could get a group together quickly, I would LOVE to do Zion Trail in April.

Sounds like something I would definitely be interested in but I'm booked in April and November. Building race schedules are amazing until something like this comes up. Lol! I'll keep checkin in tho. I love the idea of a team for Ragnar.

I can relate to aftershocks! I think every time I try I move a fault line that much closer to a big quake! LMBO

Mi madre and hubby were/are runners and tell me it is hard work but it gets easier if you are consistent.

I am hoping to get into a running groove when I get about 30 more lbs lighter. By then I'll be 40 lbs away from goal.

There's alot of good running programs out there for download with fitness apps.

One thing, just make sure you are wearing the correct size and type if running shoe. Shoes can make a huge difference between a good, safe run & injury!

Today I ran 5 miles, at 6am, without the slightest bit of effort...I was floating....so much so I was concerned that I was not getting any real aerobic benefits. So I finished by doing a series of all out sprints, 45-60 seconds each with a 2 -3 minute walking rest in between......just to get my heart rate up and some sweat!

That was today...there are other days it is pure hell to get started....

I wish I knew the secret, and can bottle it...how can days be so drastically different...what's the secret combination?

Today I ran 5 miles, at 6am, without the slightest bit of effort...I was floating....so much so I was concerned that I was not getting any real aerobic benefits. So I finished by doing a series of all out sprints, 45-60 seconds each with a 2 -3 minute walking rest in between......just to get my heart rate up and some sweat!

That was today...there are other days it is pure hell to get started....

I wish I knew the secret, and can bottle it...how can days be so drastically different...what's the secret combination?

Isn't that odd how that happens sometimes? The usual culprits for me is that I'm not fully recovered from a taxing run or I'm in the middle of a serious training cycle.

I want to be a runner - it would be more convenient, more trails to pick from, seems like so many fun 5k events... but rollerblading was as much as my knees would ever tolerate over 200 lbs, and I've got a long way to go to get to sub 200. Then I will try this C25k thing.

When I used to do yoga they had a saying: You bring a different body every day.

Sometimes it is easy and sometimes it isn't, just depends on which body you brought that day. I thought of this when I read about how sometimes it is easy to run and sometimes it isn't

I love how popular this thread is!!! It motivated me to get back out there yesterday and try running again. It has been about a month since I ran and I did about the same as when I left off so I was happy with that.

For anyone doing the C25K or anything like that, how do you keep track of your time if you run for 1 minute, etc.? Or if you run for 500 yards--how do you know when you have run that far?

Sometimes it is easy and sometimes it isn't, just depends on which body you brought that day. I thought of this when I read about how sometimes it is easy to run and sometimes it isn't

I love how popular this thread is!!! It motivated me to get back out there yesterday and try running again. It has been about a month since I ran and I did about the same as when I left off so I was happy with that.

For anyone doing the C25K or anything like that, how do you keep track of your time if you run for 1 minute, etc.? Or if you run for 500 yards--how do you know when you have run that far?

When I did c25k I used an app on my cell phone that cued me when to run and walk.

You know? I like that saying. Its very encouraging to me. I was always stuck in the, "I have to be perfect" mode and ended up self-loathing. That saying says to just keep on going! Sometimes we all need to hear it! :) I know I do!

@@esskay77

I used an app on my phone called Simple C25K. I liked it because it had a tone/beep that you can hear over your music that tells you when to change from walking to running and so on.

Thanks! I didn't know the app cued you when to run/walk!! THat's good news. I couldn't figure out how to run and keep track of time etc.

Also, whomever suggested CHI Running--a big thanks to you!! Great YouTube videos that really explain how to run properly.

Another yoga saying: Stay on your own yoga mat! In other words, don't compare yourself to anyone else, just do what you can do. I hear people use that phrase for everything now, not just exercise. lol

Thanks! I didn't know the app cued you when to run/walk!! THat's good news. I couldn't figure out how to run and keep track of time etc.

Also, whomever suggested CHI Running--a big thanks to you!! Great YouTube videos that really explain how to run properly.

Another yoga saying: Stay on your own yoga mat! In other words, don't compare yourself to anyone else, just do what you can do. I hear people use that phrase for everything now, not just exercise. lol

You're welcome. My orthopedic surgeon has been shocked at how well my knee is doing. I told him my Chi Running secret and he's been suggesting it to all his patients that run. My knee doesn't feel any different after running 7 miles today than it would if I had walked 7 miles.

What a great thread and so motivational since I just started a running program last week. I ran in the past and my profile picture is after finishing my fastest 5K. It motivates me to get back into shape.

When I first started, I signed up for a 5K with a friend and I cursed myself for that decision every day as I ran and hated it. I remember the day before the run, I said once I got through it, I would never run again. Well, something happens when you cross that finish line. I can't describe it, maybe I was just thankful that I didn't have a heart attack. Whatever it was, I wanted more! The next year, I ran a half marathon. As my weight went back up, I wasn't able to run anymore and it was one of my motivations to have surgery. It's amazing that I went from hating it to loving it. I have always joked that running is only fun when you're good at it. It really sucks when you first start. But once you're able to run without feeling like dying, it's amazing.

BTW, my bucket list item is to run my first full marathon next December in Honolulu.

This has been an interesting thread to read, because I have always hated running. I always loved sports, but never could run worth a darn. I don't currently aspire to run, you know, EVER, but I really want to do one of those obstacle courses with the mud and stuff. I doubt that qualifies as "running" really, but someday I will do one of those - what's that one where you jump over fire? Not. That. One. LOL :blink:

In order to get my 5k on, I do random walking events, and I even bought the event shirts last year because they finally fit me! I recently did a Turkey Trot in the pouring rain on Thanksgiving and it was fun despite the sogginess. I've set a goal for the new year to do at least 4 events in 2015 (only managed 2 in 2014), even if I'm only walking. :)

Edited by Shells_Almost_There

I use the app, which has gps and keeps track.