Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does running get easier!?

I'm going to download the couch to 5k app. See how that goes. Get a rain slicker for my dogs and I, since I live where it rains all the time lol.

I love that movie Zombieland, seriously wanted a Twinkie after I saw it too lol.

Running is very much a love/hate for a lot of people. I love to hate it, lol. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it makes you sore, sometimes you just have a bad day and it's miserable, but it keeps you honest. I've been a runner for the past 16 years and regardless of whether I was fat or thin, there's nothing quite like that happy feeling you get when you're done with a run. I notice that I am far faster and it is far more enjoyable the thinner I am. I recently had some plastics done and I joke that I'm faster now because I got rid of some of the wind resistance I was carrying.

Short version, running does get easier and more fun, but most runners I know love running because it isn't a friendly sport. It makes you hurt, it makes you gasp for air, and sometimes it makes you really frustrated...but then you hit new goals, you get faster, you get thinner, and you get stronger, and you find yourself pushing even harder during runs because you like the pain. I love running because I really really really love chocolate, lol.

Good luck. :)

I did C25k and started it when I was about 3 months out. I did it at my own pace so it way longer than outlined to complete. I did my first 5k last December and another this February and September.

I agree with advice that there is a noticeable difference between running on a treadmill vs outside. Stick to outdoors when you can but set the treadmill at a 2.5 or 3% incline to approximate an outside condition when you need to run indoors.

To answer your initial question, yes as you lose weight and improve your conditioning it does get easier. I highly recommend compression running pants to hold jiggly thighs and belly in place. Lastly, running is a mental game, I've had good runs and bad runs-- I really struggled to finish during my second 5k. I completely agree that running is something you either enjoy or don't. If you find yourself in the second category as I do, then stick with what you love.

I enjoy interval training and strength training. I do that 4 times a week. I only run one day a week for a mile as a warm up to my work out.

now that I have lost 75lbs, I would like to give my body a chance at running.... I would love to become a "runner." I have been solely an elliptical guy right now. I have greatly increased my time/distance/resistance over the past few months. Got to get that C25K installed and hit the roads.

Love running and it does get easier if you stop challenging yourself. I was sleeved 3.12 and since then I've completed lots of half marathons, and 7 full marathons. I'm currently training for a 50 miler. I was never a runner. I tried several times prior to sleeve surgery and I'd always end up with injuries. After losing lots of weight, my body no longer comes up lame. Lol. Give it a fair shot. You have to get past the sucky part. You'll get there in time. If you still don't like it- don't do it. There's too many neat ways to get your cardio in!

Love running and it does get easier if you stop challenging yourself. I was sleeved 3.12 and since then I've completed lots of half marathons, and 7 full marathons. I'm currently training for a 50 miler. I was never a runner. I tried several times prior to sleeve surgery and I'd always end up with injuries. After losing lots of weight, my body no longer comes up lame. Lol. Give it a fair shot. You have to get past the sucky part. You'll get there in time. If you still don't like it- don't do it. There's too many neat ways to get your cardio in!

50 miles! That's awesome! You were very inspirational to me when I first started running after surgery. I've done 3 halfs and a Ragnar relay. Just started training for a marathon this week. Hoping to be ready for the OKC Memorial Marathon in late April.

50 miles! That's awesome! You were very inspirational to me when I first started running after surgery. I've done 3 halfs and a Ragnar relay. Just started training for a marathon this week. Hoping to be ready for the OKC Memorial Marathon in late April.

Which Ragnar? I did Napa and McDowell Mtn trail this year! Wanna do another road and another trail this year!

If your using a treadmill try the interval program most allow you to set you max speed, your minimum speed & the incline. It will allow you to get into the swing of running while spreading out your distance over a little more time, as you increase your time the interval times will get longer.

I hate running but I love the number of steps I can get in by doing it.

Aw, that's cool to hear!! Ragnar is on my list. Super cool to hear that you're doing well! Woohoo marathon training. My race is on April as well. Here's to great weather and even better training!

Which Ragnar? I did Napa and McDowell Mtn trail this year! Wanna do another road and another trail this year!

How was Napa Ragnar?! A group of peeps I know just formed a team for Tahoe??? It's a trail Ragnar. Sounds interesting.

How was Napa Ragnar?! A group of peeps I know just formed a team for Tahoe??? It's a trail Ragnar. Sounds interesting.

Napa was amazing!!! Lots of hills so quite a challenge plus the whole navigating and no sleep thing LOL, but I LOVED McDowell mountain, the trails are sooooo much more fun for me and more chill! Tahoe is top of my list for this year now that they've announced it! I need to work out a small overlap with something that has me in Utah until the morning of the race currently but if I can I am SO THERE!

I did Miami to Key West. Hoping to do it again and maybe get on a team for Las Vegas, Colorado, or one of the trail runs. It would be super cool to put together a team from BP!

I'm going to setup a message thread to see how much interest there would be in a Bariatric Pal Ragnar team. I think Vegas would probably be the best bet because tickets are cheap to there from everywhere. It's also in November so if you're just starting out you could train in that amount of time. Or if we could get a group together quickly, I would LOVE to do Zion Trail in April.

I did Miami to Key West. Hoping to do it again and maybe get on a team for Las Vegas, Colorado, or one of the trail runs. It would be super cool to put together a team from BP!

I sooooo want to do Key West!!!! Not in the cards for next year maybe 2016. That would definitely be cool!

I'm going to setup a message thread to see how much interest there would be in a Bariatric Pal Ragnar team. I think Vegas would probably be the best bet because tickets are cheap to there from everywhere. It's also in November so if you're just starting out you could train in that amount of time. Or if we could get a group together quickly, I would LOVE to do Zion Trail in April.

I will look for the thread! Zion is on my list, but the "good" camping stuff fills up really quickly and my family wants to come to that one so I want to get them a cabin or something and they are all full for April. Again maybe 2016 for me! Las Vegas would be good except I think I am doing Rock & Roll Vegas half in November.