Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Veterans, what's your best day of surgery advice?

Hello. I am scheduled for surgery December 11. Veterans, is there anything you wish someone had told you to prepare for surgery day? Thanks!

It will be a happy day. You will have underestimated how wonderful it feels to finally be in the process of claiming your life back. Any worries regarding surgery are just that "worries." Statistics are in your favor and you will do fine.

On the practical side make sure you have some comfortable shoes to slide into to walk around the hospital. No flimsy slippers, you don't want to slip. Obviously shoe laces are not a good idea as bending will be difficult for a few days. Wear comfortable outfit to hospital with soft elastic pants to hospital and wear the same thing back home. I couldn't wear undies to my waist because of the incisions. A bikini size would have been better. Don't bring changes of clothes, you won't wear them and then you have to get all that back in the car. The one thing I did love was a short sleeve fuzzy robe I wore during my walks and most of the time. I cut it along the shoulder line all the way down the sleeve and placed velcro tabs along. I made a "hospital gown" out of it. I found the hospital a little cold and the hospital gown provided is only thin cotton. My shoulders were cold but you have to figure out how to wear stuff because you have an IV line on your arm. Maybe a wide scarf or lap blanket. All they have in the hospital is additional bed sized blankets. In a pinch you can drape them over your shoulders but they are scratchy cotton.

Good luck!

I brought books and magazines but did not touch them at all. I slept mostly because the pain meds make you so sleepy. I just rested.

great post! I'm following for good advice as well!

Don't let nerves or panic about surgery change your mind. This is something you decided to do calmly and rationally, over a long period of time. Don't let the "oh, god! they're going to cut me!" panic make you change your mind.

Also, they can give you calm down drugs if you *do* freak out.

Don't bother bringing stuff to entertain yourself aside from maybe a laptop. You probably won't even need that. You think beforehand that you'll have all this recovery down time, but you really can't focus on anything other than trying to get your Water and your walking in. You can't concentrate on a book or even a movie. Or, at least, I couldn't.

When you wake up, you will be in pain. The pain is pretty bad for the first 36-48 hours. You will feel better again. Don't worry.

Good luck!

I on the other hand, never had any pain at all. I kid you not. I was on morphine drugs in the hospital as everyone and was allowed additional IV added stuff but I ended up not needing then as often as the doctor allowed. The only thing I felt was the top incision on my left side because to get out of bed I had to twist to that side. But if you feel any pain all you have to do is call the nurse and they take care of it. I stayed in the hospital 2 nights because my surgery was late in the day and my doctor couldn't release me first thing next morning. I had to stay an extra night and ended up staying until the afternoon of that last day. It was my choice to stay because I was on IV fluids and I knew drinking was going to be hard. It costs the same to leave at 9:00 Am or 5:00 Pm. I did the later. Two nights but they count it as 3 days.

I have had 3 children and two miscarriages. One at 20 weeks and one of the births was a c-section. I know pain very well and it wasn't even close to any childbirth and so much easier then a c-section.

After surgery the two most challenging things was drinking enough to prevent having to go back to hospital for IV fluids and getting out of bed. Once I was home all I had was 3 single Tylenol pills. One the first night home because I couldn't sleep and thought perhaps my level 2 pain (about the same as monthly cramps) was causing it. I think the car ride caused it. The other two were for headaches. Not drinking enough. I found I could do 32 ounces the first two days but not the 48 needed. My tummy did not want drinks.

Relax. If you are going to a hospital in the States, pack light. I bought a tooth brush, extra large panties, deodorant, my iPad & charger and my cell phone.

I woke up having to pee! I was in recovery and they gave me the choice of a bed pan or the toilet. I choose the toilet, they wheeled me to the door and I practically ran inside! So I started walking in recovery. I had no pain, and no gas. I never used the morphine pump or any pain meds. It didn't really hurt. I've had worse menstrual cramps. I think not being fuzzy headed with pain made walking easier and you want to start walking ASAP. However, don't try and be a hero if you need something for pain, let them know.

Congratulations!

Edited by BLERDgirl

Thank you all so much for your advice and encouragement!! Great suggestions and I really feel your support which is nice. I hope you all continue to do well.

You will be nervous the day before or day of surgery and that is normal! Don't let those last minute fears talk you out of a surgery you rationally decided to have and have worked for months to get to. Nervous is normal because it is a big change.

Also, the first week after surgery you likely will not be able to meet either your Protein intake goals or your Fluid intake goals and likely both. Do the best you can to work on both every day. Every day it will get better but don't panic if you can't get x grams of Protein or x ounces of Water. Your primary goal the first week is to heal and get enough fluids to keep hydrated enough. Sip constantly when you are awake and as long as you are really trying to stay hydrated, you probably can stay hydrated enough.

You will be tired, have little stamina, and probably be frustrated by it. Remember you just had major surgery and your priority is to heal. sleep (especially extra sleep) is almost as important as fluids. Cut yourself some slack and let your body do what it has to.

Constipation is a common concern after surgery. Please work on easing the problem sooner rather than later. If you need ideas to help ease the constipation do a quick search on these forums. The subject has been discussed many times and there are some great suggestions available to help.

Remember we are all here to support you! If you need anything ( support, questions, to vent) ask here or reach out!

Good luck and can't wait until you join the loser's bench!

No matter what, get up and walk as soon as you can. It makes it so much easier, difficult at 1st but once you get moving you will find it helps.

Take it easy with what you eat for the first few days or weeks ... I ended up at a rest stop between hospital & home doubled over vomiting, because I was told I could have small portions (which I had a tiny bit), but some foods need to be tried later down the road.

Take it slow. Walk, drink Water (if you want it flavored, learn to make it yourself) ... one small step at a time. And join a support group, those people know what you have been going through, this is a great help, but you need that face to face option.

You will be nervous the day before or day of surgery and that is normal! Don't let those last minute fears talk you out of a surgery you rationally decided to have and have worked for months to get to. Nervous is normal because it is a big change.

Also, the first week after surgery you likely will not be able to meet either your Protein intake goals or your Fluid intake goals and likely both. Do the best you can to work on both every day. Every day it will get better but don't panic if you can't get x grams of Protein or x ounces of Water. Your primary goal the first week is to heal and get enough fluids to keep hydrated enough. Sip constantly when you are awake and as long as you are really trying to stay hydrated, you probably can stay hydrated enough.

You will be tired, have little stamina, and probably be frustrated by it. Remember you just had major surgery and your priority is to heal. sleep (especially extra sleep) is almost as important as fluids. Cut yourself some slack and let your body do what it has to.

Constipation is a common concern after surgery. Please work on easing the problem sooner rather than later. If you need ideas to help ease the constipation do a quick search on these forums. The subject has been discussed many times and there are some great suggestions available to help.

Remember we are all here to support you! If you need anything ( support, questions, to vent) ask here or reach out!

Good luck and can't wait until you join the loser's bench!

You are awesome, Luvin_Life125!