Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

I am off to buy a new road bike today, hopefully.

I biked 20 miles on Sunday and know I need a better bike if I'm going to get to 50 mile rides by August. (My Goal)

And I'm no tiny thing as you can see by my stats below.

Wish me luck. I've already been to two stores today, going to two or three more tonight. Also, I'm talking with a the organizer of a women's riding group I'm planning on joining!

I would have never thought this possible a year ago. Woo Freakin' HOO.

50 MILES!!! Wow. I'm shooting for 2 miles to start off with. One mile on my old bike gave me jelly legs when I was done. I hope it was the bike, and not because I'm so out of shape. I've been doing my best to walk 45 minutes a day at a pretty good clip, so I can't be THAT out of shape. We'll see. If it's not storming, I'll go for a ride tonight and see how I do.

travelgirl

It's taken some time to get to that point. I've been doing cardio since October and really hitting it hard since January. Trust me I was all jelly even after that when I got on the bike the first time this spring.

They say you never forget how to ride a bike, which is true, but my body sure wished that I had!

Juli

I have the Schwinn Searcher also and have had it for about a month and WANT A NEW ONE!! It is not the best for hills as it only has 7 gears and me, DH and DD are doing 10 miles every other night and then about 5-6 every other night, so I need a different bike!!! I want to go long distances!!! I want to work up to 30 miles twice a week next year, so now I am looking for something else. There are some really nice bikes out there for not a whole lot more than I paid for my Schwinn. Wish I knew then what I know now about bikes so I would of spent a little more and had a lot more bike. I LOVE BIKING!! I am already looking into getting one of those things (don't know the name of them) that you put your bike on in your house for the winter so I can keep on riding. I am sure that I give all the young kids driving by a great laugh with my big ole butt!! LOL...Deanna

I did my first 100 mile ride after I purchased a BikeE it is an entry level recumbent bicycle. My weight at the time I believe was approx 330 lbs total trip time 11 hours.

Unfortunatly BikeE is no longer in business however the sun bike company has an ez series which is very much like my BikeE.

I found with the recumbent I was able to work around my issues created by my excess weight, mainly seat relate pain.

I am now have a catrike 700 but still I think I prefer my BikeE the only limitatations are they don't do off pavement well and hills are a strain.

Also have a New Balance 5k 6200 recumbent stationary for the Central Florida lightning/thunderstorm seasons.

JC

Does anyone own a Land Rider? I've seen these bikes advertised on TV. They supposedly shift automatically so it takes the guess work out of knowing what gear you're supposed to be in at any given time.

Any feedback on this one?

i did some research on the land rider and they sound like an awesome bike. It is a 7 geared bike, and would really make biking fun.......Little high in price...would love to find someone who actually owns one.....They are on sale for 399...and they do offer a 4 pay payment plan.....

Let me know if you try one......

Traci

hoosierpoms@bluemarble.net

I did buy my new road bike on Friday. I didn't get a chance to take it out this weekend, but tomorrow I'm hoping to hit upwards of 20 miles on it and Tuesday I'm riding with a group on an 18 mile jag. I'm so stoked!

I did buy my new road bike on Friday. I didn't get a chance to take it out this weekend, but tomorrow I'm hoping to hit upwards of 20 miles on it and Tuesday I'm riding with a group on an 18 mile jag. I'm so stoked!

Juli,

So it has 8 gears? I am really looking into getting another bike and just don't know what to get. I live in a mountainous area and plan to bike the mountain roads next summer. I want comfort, but yet enough gears to get me up hills. With the bike I have now, it is comfortable to ride, but I want something with more gears, maybe more sleak design, but don't know if my stomach will get in the way or my back will start hurting if I get a mountain bike style. Just wondering why you went with this bike. I don't think a recumbent bike is for me. I ride my Schwinn Searcher 50 plus miles a week now, but it only has 7 gears and some of the hills are a bitch to get up. Deanna

It has 24 gears. It's a racer style bike, but not as expensive. So it is light and sleek. You want more gears to be better able to do a range of levels. You might also want to not get a mountain bike unless you plan on going off road. They are designed with chubby tires to hug the ground. That takes more effort to move forward, all the ground hugging. Really, the best thing to do is figure out what kind of biking you want to do then find a bike from there.

HTH.