Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

J,

My exercise physiologist once told me that running is the best way for a woman to lose weight and keep it off. I am not all about running though. I do not want to be a runner. I want to ride my bike. BUT, I think I needed a little kick in the behind, which, I might add, worked!!! A loss of 6 pounds in a week is beyond what I could ever imagine at this point in the game.......

That is a stunning result. 6 lbs, way to go!!!!!!!!!!!

I got back on the stick today. No sugar, no "not growing food" as we call it for Zoe. I'm logging on Fitday what I ate. I worked out like someone who doesn't want to quit losing.

All in all, a good day.

Yeah for you, J!!! We have to keep ourselves active in our weight loss. It is not going to come as easily as when first banded. I think we all have a pretty good idea what we need to do to get this done.

ok ok I LOVE my road bike now.

Funny story: Last night i got it up to 25mph (Flat out for me) and i overtook a moped! lol..was he surprised.

Sorry LBT,

HP usually handles that question and she's away in Florida.

Road bikes are built for paved surfaces and to go quickly. They have skinny tires which contact less road and make it easier to propel your bike forward.

Mountain bikes are built for textured roads and to withstand shocks from jumps etc. They are built to be abused with thick tires that grab the road more. They take more effort to propel forward.

A hybrid is marrying the two. Hybrids are more mountain than road. They have not as thick tires, but they are thick and they sit upright.

Comfort bikes are newer on the market and also marry the two ideas but are more road than mountain. Typically they have the tires of a road and the handlebars of a mountain.

There are companies like Trek, Giant, Jamis, Specialized out there who make all four kinds. Road bikes tend to cost more too.

My word of advice, if you think you'll not ever really ride off road get a comfort bike or an entry level road bike. Most people who do not tend to regret "under buying" their first bike.

Hope that Helps. Sorry to leave you hanging.

I'm not an expert like Traci (aka HoosierPoms), but I'll take a stab at answering your question...

Info assembled from my friend, the internet...

A road bicycle is a bicycle designed for use primarily on paved roads, as opposed to off-road terrain. In general road bicycles have drop handlebars and multiple gears, although there are single and fixed gear varieties.

A hybrid bicycle is a bicycle designed for use on roads and bike paths, combining features of a road bicycle and a mountain bicycle. In general, hybrids use mountain bike gears to make riding in hilly environments easier, and have an upright riding position similar to a mountain bike. Handlebars are neither downturned like a road bicycle nor flat like a mountain bicycle. Rather, they have a slight upturn, providing for a more upright seating position.

A mountain bike is a bicycle having a sturdy frame, handlebars straight across, wide 26-inch tires with a knobby tread, as many as 21-24 gears, etc., that is suitable for both road and off-road use, but is most commonly used off-road or on unpaved paths.

I tried to paste pictures from the internet on the message, but couldn't. If you google the terms, you can find photos.

Thanks so much for clearing that up OH and D!! I really appreciate it. I am anxious to get back out there on mine. I go for a gall bladder post op tomorrow, maybe he'll lift a few restrictions. I've been walking or riding a recumbant bike at the gym. But I need to do more.

My bike and i have found each other.i ride 21/2 mile everyday and walk also. Hill in front of my house is my friend, no more out of breath,just push forward.and it feels so great.

Whos

You're a maniac on the road!

you dont know the half of it!

I hear Jennifer Lopez is training for a Triathlon now. She must of heard about me. I would voulteer to be her trainer but i dont think my wife would be too happy about that.

Hey i say...if she can do it, you ladies would rock at it. It mainly cycling anyway.