Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going thru Withdrawal! Any helpful ideas?

I know some of this is in my head and I really did not realize just how much....but I feel like I'm dying! & I am just on day 5 of my pre-op diet. I think it is several things piled on top of me. I have diabetic neuropathy in my legs and normally take Lyrica. I thought I would try and wean myself off of it...but I have been up the last 2 nights with no sleep. I have a headache and I am hungry!

I think I am starving to DEATH! I am drinking 3 Protein Shakes (that taste nasty) a day and eating one meal of 3 oz of lean meat and 1 cup of vegetables (which is their pre-op diet)...but I have added this to my food diary on Myfitnesspal and basically it comes out to less than 600 calories a day. My stomach feels like it is eating my insides up and I even have a little pain in my lower chest that is nagging at me all day. I know I should be stronger than this...but this is so painful. I know my body is missing the sugar and carbs...because it is telling me every minute of the day.

I called my nutritionist at my doctor's office to see if she had any ideas and I had forgotten that they work 1/2 days on Friday. So I am asking for advice or help to get me over this hump...or is it going to be like this forever?

Try to get through this. The diet is preparing you and your body for a drastic reduction in calories and is also shrinking your liver so that surgery is safer.

I am 5 days post sugary, gastric bypass. It is NOT easy. I finally today am feeling a little bit better. I would tell you

that this period is going to be HELL but follow the program and it will be ok. I had to meditate through the pain at times. Tomorrow I am going to begin with a 2000 step walk. I was feeling low today also but then I got a recipe book in the mail that really lifted my spirits. The food in it looks amazing. Really good looking stuff but prepared in a high Protein low calorie way. I have NOT read the entire book yet but I know the future will look brighter.

I have not yet had a chance to read it but I did thumb through it. A GREAT looking pizza recipe in there and I can't wait to try it. Book is: recipes for after weight loss surgery by Margaret Furtado. There are so many amazing looking recipes in there. pizza, Humus, Sausage and Lentil Soup, Latkes, crab cakes, stroganoff. Looks amazing and the book is loaded with pictures and lots of wonderful looking stuff. I am actually excited and it lifted my spirits. One example recipe is below. AGAIN, I have not read the entire book so I am not sure at what stage I can start this but it is promising.

I am sorry you are struggling. I was miserable but 5 days after surgery I am finally feeling better.

Pita Pizza: 284 calories. 25.6 grams Protein.< /p>

Makes 4.

4 small 4 inch whole wheat pita breads.

1 can 6 0z, low sodium Tomato paste

1 teaspoon dry oregano

1 teaspoon dry basil

1 teaspoon dried thyme

4 tablespoons grated parm cheese

1 cup cooked boneless skinless chicken breast cut into small cubes. Or, chicken italian sausage, or ground meat.

1/2 cup fresh slices mushrooms

1 can, 2.5 oz sliced black olives

3/4 cup (85g) shredded part skim mozzarella cheese

Oven 375. Lightly spray a sheet pan with cooking spray. Put on all toppings and bake aprox 15 minutes.

Picture of the pizzas look AMAZING.

NOW, I have to say I have not read the entire book yet so I am not sure when this recipe can be used but it is good to know

that down the road a healthy pizza is possible. Looking through this book raised my spirits. John

That cookbook is one recommend by the nutritionist at my surgeon's office. The recipes look really good!

Right now I'd eat a shoe! Thanks for the recipe & I will ck out the cookbook!

You are ahead of me in the game, because I'm on day one of my diet and I'm trying to keep myself busy by reading or sometime to occupy my mind so its not on food! I agree about the shakes, they are nasty but they do help curve the hunger. I wish you much success and keep pushing forward!

I remember day four being really hard for me. About day five I quit feeling hungry and stopped caring about whether or not I ate it it was a struggle to make myself continue to drink the shakes. On my diet the surgeons allowed us to have one cup of veggies a day for the first five days, so I put those into chicken broth and it looked like soup! I looked forward to it all day long! Then that was removed the last five days and I worried I would die, but it really is all I your head and you WILL make it!!!!,

If you can (weather permitting)....go for walks. Read books. Get Alex's BIG books and read those. Read these forums for what you need to gather in preparation for your upcoming surgery and recovery, Take lots of naps. If you work, stay really super busy, and if you run out of work, offer to help your coworkers with theirs. (this will help your year end performance review as well!!) Do everything you can to keep your mind off food!! You CAN do this!! I hope to take my own advice when its my turn. Best to you!

@@dmaddox1

I went through the same as you- starving and with a headache. I attributed the headaches to stopping caffeine cold turkey and they went away after about a week. I was concerned about the hunger too, because it had gotten so strong that I was becoming lightheaded. Being a diabetic at the time, I called my NUT, who approved me to use a Protein drink with slightly higher sugar/carbs to counteract the dizziness & it worked well enough. The pre-op diet was the hardest part of this process for me too- big stomach + little food = grumpy Suze. It will get better though- keep your chin up! ;)

Actually the withdrawal from lyrics is probably making things worse for you. Was this recommended at this time? When I went through prep diet I was not allowed any actual food, just those lousy shakes, broth, sugar free Jello and Popsicles. The one thing that really satisfied me was a suggestion from my surgeons office, the suggested that I buy some mrs. Grass chicken noodle Soup and strain the noodles out. It was great because I could not take all that sweet from the shakes.

I want to thank everyone for the encouraging words! They helped a lot! i decided I have to look at it as just one day...I just have to get thru this one day! And I do have to keep myself busy! I got up from my pity party...took a shower, and went to Walgreens & got my flu shot! Then made myself some baked cod & green Beans & sat on my patio & enjoyed the afternoon! Thanks again everyone...you guys helped a lot!

Can you add sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles to what you are eating? That would seem to help stave off some of the hunger. The popsicles take a while to eat so that helps, too. Can you chew on ice chips? Not that that helps much but keeps you occupied a bit. Best of luck. After the surgery, you will be glad you got through all this.

Hot Decaf tea! That's the only thing that has really helped the hunger pains for me. I have four more days of pre-op to get through, counting today and have literally drank gallons of hot tea. It got me through Thanksgiving and a family reunion and, now, (hopefully) through the start of my sister's 2 week visit!

I am 19 months post-op from RNY. One of the interesting things about this type of surgery, was that immediately after the surgery I lost my hunger. It is not difficult to lose weight when hunger is not constantly gnawing at your bones. Not everyone loses their hunger but many do. I was diabetic and when I left the hospital 2 days after surgery, I was off all my diabetic medicine and I haven't taken any since.

Things to do before surgery:

1) Do your daily walking exercise. It will help with your recovery.

2) If you drink caffeinated or carbonated beverages, stop now. I was up to a 6 diet coke a day habit prior to surgery. I went cold turkey and experienced severe withdrawal syndrome. I suffered for a week with very severe headaches. It is better to go through this withdrawal before surgery than compound it right after surgery with the effects of surgery.

I start my 2 week liquid diet on Tuesday the 9th. My surgery is the 23rd. I'm glad I found this forum to help me with what's to come after I start the liquid diet. I am going to be on strictly liquids with Sf Jello and Sf Popsicles. I have no doubt this is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done in my life yet. It makes me really nervous. But I know how important it is for surgery and to prepare. I'm concerned bc right now I am taking a lot of med and get really nauseous if I don't eat with them. Also hypoglycemic, so I'm sure I will feel a few waves of nausea, but just have to keep up with the Protein Drinks and take it a day at a time!!