Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you weren't obese "all" of your life, what is it that caused you to become obese ?

I am very interested to hear from those who have dealt with an eating disorder. I actually went through a 6 week intensive outpatient program - for me it was to see if I *had* BED, and I found that it helped some, but in a lot of ways left me fore confused and more focused on food than before.

@@Keeper back in 2003 when I had my WLS there was no psych screening. And I did not volunteer the info on my application for the surgery that I had any "psychological issues" or eating disorders. I think the counseling is an important part of the programs today, although I have mixed feelings on the psych screener.

@@Miss Mac a nutritionist told me that I had metabolic syndrome and that I could restrict calories as much as I wanted and exercise as much as possible and really would not loose weight. Unless, that is, I balanced my Protein to carbs at every meal 2:1. It did cause me to lose weight. Today I follow a Paleo diet, the only difference in my Paleo diet is that I don't eat red meat -- cause it grosses me out. I did the Whole 30 program last Spring as a way to transition to Paleo. It worked really well for me. I wrote about it, if you are interested http://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/276918/169702/whole30-diet

@@Kindle congrats on gaining control of your health and your life. It is so surprising to me reading all of these stories about people who were thin and vital (like I was) and then became morbidly obese (like I did). I had no idea it was such a common path.

@@My Bariatric Life I totally get it - the mixed feelings aspect of it. I actually do think it is important but only because I think counseling is important. For some people, seeing a psych for the screening is their first contact with a psych.

I guess I am most interested to see what it is like "on the other side" - after WLS for someone who has battled BED. I mean, I guess in some ways we all have. ugh - I can't get it out right what it is what I want to say.

I am one week/one day post op and all I wanted to do today was eat. It is all head hunger - I get that, but I so desperately want the thoughts to go away, not just the weight.

@@SuzeMuze you look like you are doing very well on your weight loss journey. keep up the good work. it gets much harder after the first 6-mos, at least that is how it was for me. I loved the honeymoon period when I had no appetite!

@@laurenella82 good luck my dear. it is not an easy journey but it is worth it. this is your life and you only get to live it once, not twice or more. do it! we all want to be losers!

@@Keeper I remember the pamphlet from Lean Line when I was in the 7th grade. It read that first place a diet starts is in your head. For me, overcoming the bulimia was really very difficult. What truly helped my BED was the generic version of wellbutrin. i did some research on it and asked my doctor to prescribe that for me rather than the Prozac that I was on, which caused weight gain and did not reduce BED or bulimia. I do recall having the urge to eat and vomit after my gastric bypass, and contacting my bariatric surgeon and getting a reply back from his office, "I eat 6 grapes at night." My reaction was WTF!!!! I am talking about eating pizza and making myself vomit and you think the solution is simply to eat 6 grapes?!?!?!

This is why we have to be our own best advocates when it comes to our health.

I hate to say it,but my kids .... Gained,alot of weight with all 3 ..last one,is now,????# dec22

post-238097-14169694014663_thumb.jpg

post-238097-14169694152075_thumb.jpg

post-238097-1416969512189_thumb.jpg

Binge eating disorder = BED

Thank you, Keeper.

I had boughts with that, especially at the end- my highest weight - a bottomless pit that could never be filled. OY! So glad THAT's over!

Pregnancy with 2 kids and then found out hubby was gay. Yup it happened to me but then the weight got out of hand ! Not to worry, I remarried and had one more kid. He's Mr. Wonderful ????

@@dgross congratulations on your upcoming surgery! so many women here saying that pregnancy ruined their bodies, or at least started them down the slippery slope of weight gain.