Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you weren't obese "all" of your life, what is it that caused you to become obese ?

@@Recycled sure, too much food, too little exercise, I get that. But have you ever explored why you ate too much and exercised too little, when at one time in your life you were not obese, maybe even thin?

@@Momof2inIowa amazing story, at least to me. I was not an athlete in HS but I did work out a lot. But then for me to become obese relatively quickly, well, I never expected that. I guess most of us didn't.

@@lisacaron research shows that many processed foods are engineered to make us crave more. that food scientists actually sat in a lab to figure out the precise levels of salt and fats and sugars to make our bodies addicted to processed foods and eat more.

Processed Foods and Obesity - My Bariatric Life

In fact, here is a 10-part series on weight gain and food addiction

The Great Weight Gain Addiction Game, Part 1

then of course there are fast foods!

Fast Food and Obesity: The Super-Sizing of America

research also shows that aspartame and other chemical low calorie sweeteners cause our bodies to eat more (and thus gain weight, the exact opposite of what we believe "sugar free" means).

Aspartame: Sweet or Misery

add to that our extremely sedentary and stressful lifestyles. most people sit behind a computer screen at a desk for their jobs. then they come home and play on their computers, or gaming consoles, or watch TV.

Internet Use, Obesity, and Poor Health - America's New "Sitting Disease" - My Bariatric Life Stress Linked to Obesity

You mention the gut. There is some evidence that gut bacteria is linked to weight gain.

The Influence of Gut Bacteria on Weight Gain and Obesity

Intestinal Bacteria May be Causing Your Weight Gain

There is a diet called the GAPS diet which is said to heal the gut. Perhaps you would benefit to check it out.

What is the GAPS Diet – Gut and Psychology Syndrome?

OMG, I can go on and on... I hope that I did not overload you! AND I hope this information is helpful!

@@Keeper I always knew that I was a carb addict. But it was not until I did the Whole 30 program this Spring that I realized I am a sugar addict. And as you probably know, carbs turn to sugar in the body, so by strictly managing my sugar intake I was able to control -- control by a lot -- my hunger, and therefore achieve weight loss. I follow a Paleo diet now and have learned to listen to my bidy and understand hunger queses. What I have learned is that even something as begnine and good for you as roasted coconut juice will trigger the sugar craving / hunger game. Nor can I eat gluten free foods. Even one wrap a day over the course of only a few days shows up as a several pound weight gain for me. So the solution for me was to follow Paleo. It really is nice not to be hungry constantly!

@@BigGirlPanties congratulations on keeping the weight off for a year. That is the hardest part for many people. Keep up the good work! You will reach your goal!

@Elode @Beni I relate! I gained 60 pounds with my daughter and just kept going from there.

@@Mommabird I also developed many obesity-related diseases. Landing in the hospital for a 4 day staycation and a diagnosis of diabetes and hypertension at the age of thirty-something was the wake-up call that I needed. It was shortly after that that I had gastric bypass. Good luck on your journey!

@@IcanMakeit @amponder @pink dahlia

we have similar stories. I was not quite as active as you in high school. but I absolutely swam and worked out. Then I got into a car accident and could not exercise. And I got depressed so I ate too many carbs. I gained 30 pounds by my wedding. Then came pregnancy and another 60 pound weight gain. And I gained more and more from awful eating habits. It was like being in quicksand and sinking more and more. I was over my head and opted for gastric bypass as a last resort. It saved my life.

@@sandisleeve you look amazing! congrats on your accomplishment! To keep my range in the 148-154 I have to stay on a Paleo diet and make sure that I get plenty of Protein.< /p>

@@terrydumont46 I completely relate to your story. And I am so glad that I finally has WLS. I had htought about it for several years and was afraid to do it. I even backed out of the surgery the first time. I am sure that I would be dead today without it. I was a hot mess. Now I am a hot miss, LOL, just kidding. I feel so much more alive today at 50 yo compared to what I felt like at 35 and weighing 285 with several comorbid diseases.

@@scstxrn good luck to you. I never could have lost the weight without the surgery. My only regret was not having it sooner.

@@LumpySpacePrincess I went through BED, too, as well as bulimia, and anorexia, when I was younger (before my WLS). Did you have any challenges with the BED after your WLS?

@@Jersrose43 @bobbyswife @JALUVIC @@cdenney123 @@SuperDave marriage and pregnancy was the beginning of my decline as far as my weight and physical activity. I think I did some matching of my husband eating (he was 6'2" and could eat anything and stay thin). And I gained 60 pounds with pregnancy.