Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first week post-op

Hi, everybody. I was sleeved on 11/18. I've been on my tablet since then and I'm not comfy with the application, but I've been updating on FB in a Sleevers Group, so I thought I would copy my posts from there to share with you all.

11/17 - T minus 1

I had a stressful day before surgery which had blame shared equally between myself, my surgeon's team and the hospital. Sharing so maybe someone else won't have the same issues.

For preop, i needed to have a CBC, CMP, type/screen, PT/INR, chest xray and ekg. My insurance (Aetna Open Access) will only pay for blood work done by Quest. The director/nurse at my bariatric center told me that the type/screen and PT/INR both had to be done at the hospital and they would be included in the surgical bill so no worries. She gave me this information on 11/11, my pre-op appt with surgeon. I was still working, so planned to do all the tests on Friday, when I would be working from home and more flexible.

Friday I went to Quest and had the CBC and CMP done. I was feeling really lousy though, and decided to have the other tests done (in the hospital) on Monday (the day before surgery). My mistake. I should have pushed myself, asked my bf to drive me to get the others done. I should have called the hospital and asked if they did this testing over the weekend! (They did. Stupid of me not to ask, really.)

I go to the hospital Monday and register, and am told that they do not have to do the PT/INR there (my surgical team's mistake), so my insurance will not cover it. I had to find a Quest that was open and did STAT blood work (40 minutes away), drive there, and then get back to the hospital for chest xray and ekg. Exhausting and I was still my pre-op not well self. Driving back to the hospital, got a call from them saying they looked at my records and my last xray and ekg were still valid, no need to come back (their mistake).

All's well that ends well. I got it all done. Lesson: Leave much more time than you think is necessary to get all your stuff done, because you are dealing with many people's, um, lack of competence or just lack of knowledge perhaps of a change to a rule, etc.

post-148851-0-07332400-1416836361_thumb.jpg11/18 - The Day!

We showed up to the pre-op area before they opened. Eager, ya think? :)

Everything went great in the pre-op area. My surgeon and the anaesthesiologist both came to see me, the last blood work from Quest was received, and I went into the OR on schedule at 7:45 am. The surgery went well, and by 2:45 I was in my room, catheter removed and sitting up in a chair. I urinated on my own.

MY PEE WAS GREEN! lol. Didn't expect this. thought I'd mention it so you don't freak if you're the freaking type. Some kind of dye they used.

My pain was well managed by the nurses. I was getting Toradol every 6 hrs, and only once did I ask for morphine. I walked a couple of times around the floor, but that is a lot of walking for me bc of my legs and back, so I was pleased.

Ice chips only until tomorrow after the leak test.

My biggest concern was that my surgeon didn't allow me to wear my insulin pump and continuous glucose monitoring system during surgery, and the nurses wouldn't allow me to put it back in and take over my diabetes management. I had them call my endocrinologist, and they told me she would be coming by to see me after her office hours. Meanwhile, my blood sugar has reached 285 and I was pissed as well as not feeling well. Healing and preventing infections are difficult enough for people with diabetes. Having my blood sugar controlled was, to me, a medical necessity and I just couldn't wrap my head around why they just wouldn't give me more insulin! "We have a protocol that tells us how much to give based on your blood sugar". I have my OWN protocol written out by my endocrinologist!!! You can't treat every diabetic the same. OMG I could rant about this for hours, but I won't. Just want to say to my fellow Type 1s, get your endocrinologist on board early and don't expect the floor nurses to get Type 1 stuff at all... they are used to Type 2s and I practically ran a class today. They thought my CGM was magic. sigh.

My endo came finally at 5:30 pm and gave them a stern talking to, because they didn't ask her if I could use the pump, they just asked for a consult. She would have answered immediately YES. Feeling vindicated but still yukky due to high blood sugar.

11/19 - first day post op!

My pain has been managed and the gas is minimal. I feel so much better than I expected, especially now that I have my blood sugar under control. But last night was a horror.

I felt awful (I think due to blood sugar and exhaustion) and they woke me up more than once an hour for vitals etc. Here's the worst:

I rang the bell for the floor nurse to come turn on my light so I could walk to the bathroom. She answered, and couldn't hear anything from me, kept going "hello? is anyone there?" while i kept saying "yes i'm here". Then she hung up. AND NEVER CAME TO CHECK ON ME. Freaked me out. Did it again, same result, and I finally dragged myself to the nurses station to see what's up. OMG a ruckus ensued. Head nurse freaking out on her staff, not allowing me to be left alone until she found another room with working call button system, sitting up waiting for them to move me for 2 hrs in the middle of the night. It was the worst night I could have imagined, and my bf is considering a lawsuit based the lack of response and the diabetes (lack of) care. I am not litiginous, and will talk him out of it.

Passed the leak test!!! And got served this beautiful meal, on doilies!!! 2 oz Protein shake, 2 oz broth, 2 oz Jello. Yum!

No trouble keeping anything down, and I'm cleared to go home. Thank god. Long visit from the Nurses Manager to follow up on last night's fiasco before we left. John is still incensed. I just want to get out of here. Feeling great physically, but I'm sure it's due to the pain meds.

Pulling the drain out SUCKED!!! It was horrible, but very very short in endurance so don't worry about it. 3 seconds and you're done.

11/20 - first full day home -- ahhhh

sleeping in my own bed last night was fabulous. I am taking my pain meds every 6 hours. No hero here. :) Today I start following my nutritionist's instructions. 2 oz Protein shake, wait 1/2 hr, Breakfast, wait 1/2 hr, 2 oz Protein Shake and more fluids as tolerated, lunch, 2 oz Protein Shake and more fluids, dinner, 2 oz Protein shake. Each meal consists of 1/2 cup of stuff, like Jello, popsicle, crystal light, any clear fluids. I'm on clear liquid for one week post op.

Here's what I actually managed to get in: total of 4 oz protein shake, 1/4 cup Jello, 10 oz other fluids. Total: 18 oz Fluid.

I'm not having any trouble getting stuff down, but I can't stay awake and I know rest is the most important thing today.

Got on the scale and gained 8 pounds over presurgery weight from the Fluid they pumped in me. Time to start peeing more. :)

Edited by jessiquoi

11/21 - Day 2 post op

Peeing much better, and it's still green :) Still taking pain meds every 6 hours. Feeling much better than expected but tired tired tired, so resting mostly. Walking around the apartment every now and then.

Today I got in 6 oz Protein, all my meals (12 oz) and 12 oz other fluids, total of 30 oz. Much better than yesterday!!

11/22 - Day 3 post op

Starting to wean myself from the pain pills so I can work from home on Monday 11/24. Just took one at night before sleep.

I woke up at 3pm having to poop. It was dreadful and took me one hour. My surgeon was against stool softeners, laxatives etc so I had to deal with it. OMG it knocked me out for the day but I lost a lot of weight. :) All the gain from the surgery is gone plus a couple more pounds.

Today I got in all my 8oz Protein shake, all my 12 oz meals, plus 13 oz other Fluid, total of 33 oz. Getting better every day.

11/23 - Day 4 post op

Got in all my Protein, all my meals, and a ton of other fluids for a total of 50oz. Only taking pain pill at night, and I am going to stop that tomorrow.

Today I felt so awesome! I took a full shower for the first time, got dressed including my sneakers and we went out for a walk along the bay. PEOPLE! I walked better than I have in 2 years.

3 weeks ago I had to start using a cane. 6 weeks ago I got a handicapped sticker. Today I was walking as if I hadn't a care in the world. I am so very very happy I made this decision.

As of this morning, I am down 8 lbs since surgery, and 27 lbs since I started this journey.

Sounds like you are doing great so far! Congrats, and thank you for sharing!

Glad to hear you are doing well! May I ask what group you are part of Facebook? I am in 3 already but I love having others that understand to talk to . . . hope all continues to improve for you.

Oh yeah, you're lucky, I had to keep that darn drain in for a week. :-( Probably the worst part of this whole experience.

@@RedDirtRoads the group is called "November 2014 Sleevers Everyone welcome"

You are finally on the losers side! Yay you!. THanks for sharing with us and enjoy your weight lose ride. You have been floating around here for a while and i think you already know the drill.

congrats and later loser! :D