Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for Cpap users

Hi All,

When you start losing weight, how do you know when you don't need your cpap anymore? How do you know when your pressure needs to be reduced? Do you have to get retested? I was just retested this past fall and they increased my pressure. I couldn't imagine being retested every few months or so. It's really expensive and I wonder if my insurance would pay for multiple sleep studies like that.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Sophie

I've seen this question discussed before, and what I remember people saying is, first of all, you need to lose a lot of weight before the apnea situation really changes. It's not a pound by pound type of thing. Each person is different, but I would say if you have lost a large portion of your "excess" weight, it's probably time to think about changing the CPAP or maybe even putting it aside.

I found the procedure for changing my CPAP posted on the internet. You may be able to find that procedure for yours as well. Check out CPAP Talk forum. You may well be able to find your adjustment procedure posted. It is actually pretty simple if you have the procedure.

When the time comes when I am ready to think about this, I'm going to start experimenting with lower pressure. If I feel like it might be time to put the CPAP aside completely, I'll try and get some reports from my wife whether I still stop breathing again, or whether the snoring has returned. (If the snoring has returned, I'm sure I'll hear about that even if I don't ask).

I think it is a little bit of a trial and error type of thing. I think you can do it yourself that way because, even though sleep apnea is very serious, I don't think it is that dangerous to miss a night with the CPAP, or have the wrong pressure for a night or two.

When the time comes when you are considering putting aside the CPAP completely, that is probably something to talk over with the doctor. A final sleep study may be in order. But then again, I think that sleep apnea is something that you can feel to a large degree. If you feel like you are sleeping well without the CPAP, and you have lost a lot of weight, in my opinion you can probably act on that without a great risk to your health.

These are just my opinions, of course. But that is the approach I plan to take.

My sleep doctor said that we'd retest when I'd lost about 100 pounds, then again when I'm at goal. He did reduce my pressure a bit at 50 pounds down, didn't re-test, just moved it down a bit and said if I felt OK and the machine showed few episodes I was fine.

I've been really frustrated with my cpap, and I hope to just quit using it entirely after I've lost 75-100. I did not like having a sleep study, and I would only do it again if I suspected I still had sleep apnea after significant weight loss.

evilah

When I hit the 100 lb mark i rented a cpap from the med goods store with my dr's ok that measured the presure used during the night and after 2 weeks with this machine I was able to lower it from 16.5 to 8 which really does feel much better. i was tearing the mask off in my sleep and I no longer do that. I was hoping to be able to run over the cpap with my truck and be done with it forever but i guess i will test again after i loose more weight.Before I started with the cpap i was in really bad shape so I am a little leary about just quitting it. I never had a formal sleep study- all the testing was done at home. I was told I will need a sleep study especially when i get older because medicare won't pay with out but i have A little way to go before i need to deal with that! Not sure I could

sleep normally without my DH and the dog!

My "sleep doc" told me to come back & see her @ -50lbs... I guess it depends how much you have to lose, etc... I also got the instructions on how to adjust my machine, and have lowered it a bit.

My insurance paid for me to have three sleep studies in a sixth month span.

You could look into an autopap. That a CPAP where the pressure is adjusted automatically by the machine but is usually at least five. And it can tell you and your doc the data on apneas and hypopneas. So when those disapear you would know it!

I have quit using my CPAP even though my doc hasn't given me the okay for that yet. She wants me to do an overnight pulse-ox test, on room air, which I am doing tonight. If my oxygen levels are good, she will let me get rid of the machine. I can't use it anymore--it really bothers me, and my husband says I don't snore at all anymore, so I am hoping this test tonight will bring good results.

I'm down 52 pounds since I was fitted with the Cpap and I just quit using it. I'm rested well enough...

I was pulling it off at night, proably because of too much pressure. I figure if I'm too groggy in the morning or my throat hurts like it used to when I snored I'd get it back out.

So far so good.

I'm not advocating anyone does as I have done, just giving my facts.

I hate to say it but you might never get off of it. My mother and 3 of my aunts all have sleep apnea. While my mother may be over weight she is not really more than 30 or 40 pounds over what she should be. One of my aunts is very fit, walks daily, and still she has her CPAP. Just want to put it out there that there could be a possibilty that you have to stay on it even if you do lose.

Thanks everyone for your comments. They are all very helpful. I will look into finding the instructions for lowering the pressure and as I lose weight I will contact my sleep dr. and see what he suggests.

babygrl1234

The thought crossed my mind that I may always have to use it. Back in the day, a long, long time ago, when I was only 20lbs over weight, I snored a little and I've always been low energy. I don't know if that was from sleep apnea though. But I will keep my fingers crossed that I can one day through that think out the window.

Thanks again everyone,

P sophie

Sophie,

I just returned from seeing my doctor and I asked him if I needed a new sleep study, since it had been 3 yrs. He told me I needed to lose 100 lbs before he was ordering another study. My setting is on 8 and has never changed.

My two cents worth:

I wouldn't recommend changing your pressure without the orders from the sleep doctor (which...yes, likely means another sleep study). Just because you learn how to change the pressure on your own doesn't make it right or mean you "should". I don't know about other countries...but in Canada...there are legal issues....for instance if you get into a vehicle accident and they know your have a CPAP and you either don't regularly use the CPAP as prescribed OR have unilaterally changed the pressure....the implications are serious.

So, obviously, in addition...you don't "know" when you no longer have apnea....and snoring is NOT an indication (for instance, I have never snored and yet I have apnea)....so you can't decide when to stop using it altogether...not without a sleep study. It just makes sense to lose a significant amount of weight first...then have another study.

Also, as someone else said....it may not go away....don't forget that lots of "thin" people also have apnea. There is "sometimes" a connection with weight but that is not the main thing.

Personally, (& thankfully!) I looooooooove my CPAP and in a way I hope I always have to use it, even when at goal.

:)

i have been on my CPAP for 3yrs i personally do not know even when i lose the weight if i will be able to give it up. my surgeon says that i probobly will be off it within 6-7months. the CPAP is a pain but i sleep so much better with it and feel so refreshed in the morning.

i just started using my cpap successfully this week, and it's night #3 that has passed and I have love/hate sort of feeling about it. In the mornings I wake up with my husband, feeling refreshed, but part of me wants to go back to bed without it to get some more sleep? I wake up several times during the night and think about the cpap, and then go back to sleep... I don't know if it wakes me up or I'm not used to it or WHAT?!?!

Evilah