Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

I don't know how you guys can drink Crystal Light. The artificial sweetener tastes like a mouthful of metal to me. All diet drinks taste that way to me. I can't choke them down. Some of them literally make me gag.

I'm the same way. I can't stomach artificial sweeteners, I'd rather just have good old fashioned Water. At times when I want something with a little flavour, I'll pop a slice of lemon or lime in with it.

I think it's important that we get our required water in daily, especially during the summer months, as becoming dehydrated is a very bad thing. It gives me headaches, makes me feel listless and makes me hungrier. Too bad I didn't make these realisations prior to banding, but it may not have made that much difference to me then. :phanvan

I keep a water bottle with me all the time. It helps me keep track of my daily intake and when I get the urge to put something in my mouth, I'll take a few sips of water. I'm supposed to wait 30 mins before and after eating food for any drinking and I'll admit that I sometimes fail before, but am able to hold off for the time after.

I'm developing my own water drinking habits. If I'm watching TV, I'll take a couple of mouthfuls of water each time an ad break comes on. If I'm reading forums and searching online, I'll take a couple of mouthfuls each time I hit a new tab or open a new window. If I'm reading a book, I'll take sips after each chapter. If I'm doing chores, I'll take sips between each one. I'm developing these new habits to help curb the old unhealthy ones that got me to where I was pre-banding.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the ideas on getting in the extra Water. I think that for me, the important word is "water". It tastes so bad at work, I put off drinking the stuff. And the ice, blah!!!

Anyway, maybe I'm the eat out "maven" of the group. As I work 10 hr. days and commute 1 hr. each way, eating out provides some nice relaxing time. I haven't fast-fooded, but seem to do really well with grilled fish, salads eaten really slowly (yum, could do with one now) and Soups.

Where I really have problems is eating (aka grazing) while I'm working. Maybe I had better just bite the bullet and drink the excuse for water here.

I also use the "burp" technique for knowing when to stop, but today it failed me at lunch. That lovely piece of fish just slid on down with nary a burp.

Anyway, maybe I should do some more work at work....your tax dollars at work. Have to keep our computer systems safe from the bad guys.

So ta, ta for now.

hi Lynette

Sheppard's Pie is a casserole that has a layer of ground beef ( you can use turkey to make it low fat) mixed with veggies like shredded zucchini, shredded carrots, green peas, chopped onions and gravy with a layer of mashed or whipped potatoes topped with a little shredded cheese that is baked until the top has a light crust on it.

It tastes really good.

I've eaten out a few times during both the liquid and mushy phases.

During the liquid phase, I had hearty Soups like chicken and dumpling Soup or broccoli and cheese soup. Each time when I ate the chucks of food in them I just chewed really well and had no issues. I finished the meals but it always took a long time.

During the mushy phase, which I'm on now, I had the afore mentioned sheppard's pie, fried fish and french fries, etc. Each time I ate out, I never finished the meals and had left overs for 2 or 3 more meals. I'm a real cheap date now, lol.

ssankofa, the pie sounds good. I may have to try to make one soon.

Forgve, yes, I'm a visual for Kohl's. I so miss our District Visual position, and hope it comes back one day. I'm wanting to move up, but not in management- hate the hours, and love my weekends off, but how cool that your mom works for them too in the same position. My 13 year anniversary is coming up Sept. 19 with Kohl's. When I visit Florida in October, the new St. Petersburg store will be grand opening, so I'm excited to get to see it when I go. I spent 9 days down in Hunters Creek Florida helping to open the Florida market 2 years ago. I had a great time. My hotel room was only minutes away from Disney. I love what I do, and I always say I have the best job in the place.

So my doc WAS at my support group tonight. How awesome of a surprise for me. It was another open discussion session. Didn't learn too much for the band, but he did mention that we could stop drinking only 10 minutes before eating, which is good for me. Talked about Vitamins, and found out that Vitamin D is great for those who suffer from arthritis, and were dependent on Aleve/Motrin before surgery, and that baby asprin (with coating)is still good for you to help ward off the possibility of heart attacks in men, and strokes in women. If anyone is suffering from Hair loss yet, or dry skin, find some Biotin, and Vitamin E.

I also learned that there is a new weight loss surgery out for about a year now, some sort of sleeve operation where they actually take out 80% of your stomach. It's benefits/risks are between the bypass and band, but NO insurnace covers it. So who in their right mind would choose it!!

We were also told that St. Luke where I had surgery is getting divorced from the Health Alliance they've been in, so don't quite know what this means for him. He may be moving hospitals to join with St. Elizabeth, but it's up in the air. I know I need to find out more tomorrow when I get my fill since I'm self pay for his services, and have a year of aftercare paid for up front.

That's about it. If I think of anything more, I'll pass it along!!

I started to wonder why we needed to stop drinking 30 minutes before a meal. I think someone else on this site asked about it too. If Water or other thin liquids go straight thru the banded area of the stomach then stopping a 1/2 hour before eating is waaaaay too long. I haven't been too good with the drinking situation so now I don't feel so bad that I end up drinking only 10 to 15 minutes before I eat. Granted this is only my opinion and the opinion of someone else's doctor but the shorter time period between drink 1st then eating a meal afterwards makes sense to me.

As for drinking after the meal, I totally understand why we have to wait an hour. To be honest, thats tough for me too so I've taken just enpugh small sips of water to soothe my dry mouth and throat. I don't want to wash the food I eat thru the band but I need a little water after a meal or my mouth doesn't feel right.

Bottom line is....I'm not getting in enough hydration and I need to make "Ruby's Water Rules" a way of life so that I don't sabotage my band. (How do u like that phrase I just coined?? lol) If I was properly hydrated during the day, I wouldn't need the small sips of water after my meals.

hi everyone,

I didnt ge a chance to read todays posts, I am exhausted. I worked 11.5 hours today with no break. I am shot, just wanted to wish everyone a good night.

ssankofa, I know the no Water before rule is so you don't fill up quicker on your foods, or so my doc says, but he said it is much better to follow the after eating rule. I've noticed that I can taste the sodium much more in my foods than before since I can't drink, though I don't salt anything I eat. This makes me crave the water afterwards, but I just walk away from it until 1/2 hour after.

Forgve, you look great!!!! I agree w/Marcy. Thin suits you very well!!!

SSanka, great job w/the walking! You'll be knocking down an hour before you know it.

Lynette, cool! You're getting another fill already and I haven't even had one!

Auntie Phyl, I hear you about the Crystal Light. It's so hard to get it all in. I'm really making a conscious effort. i'm gonna check for s'thing cheaper, too. It is a bit expensive.

Does anyone else have a bulge at their port site? Mine sticks out a little in a "1 pack" (as part of a non existent 6 pack) sort of way. Just wondering.

My port sticks out as well. It's funny, it's above my scar when standing, but when I lay down it's under the scar, so that's where he went in for the fill, so I have a small needle prick spot there....

Hi everyone and Congratulations to everyone on their weight loss! I too was banded in July..July 26th : ) I had one fill so far (Aug 23rd) I don't fill any restriction yet but from what I read that is normal. Regardless I'm very happy and down almost 40 pounds from my start weight of 250. I went shopping today and managed to squeeze my ass in a size 16 pants! I have been walking everyday 2-3 miles and more active with my 3 kids.Nice to meet you all! My name is Lisa and I am from Minnesota : ):rolleyes:

Welcome, Lisa! Glad you have joined us! Sounds like you are doing absolutely great!

Chim, hey girl, how are you?? We seem to be just missing each other lately.

Heading to bed in a few. Have a great night everyone!!

Chim, hey girl, how are you?? We seem to be just missing each other lately.

Heading to bed in a few. Have a great night everyone!!

Doing great! Loving life like you!!! I hope all is going well for ya.

Chim, Nice to hear from you! You are so upbeat and positive! Good for everyone's morale!!!!! Sounds like you are doing well! Won't be long til you WILL have a family of your own and you will be GOOD at it!!! You have major heart! Love it!!!!!!

Kathy, I love the pic, looks like you all had a nice time! You are looking hot, Girl!!! Wonderful!!! It won't be long now, 'til it's official!!!! Lovely family! Miss chatting!

Jackie, Congrats on the bike ride! Isn't it amazing what a few pounds will do, lol????? I am soooo loving riding with my honey!!!!!! Major shocker to me!!! LOL School is officially starting tomorrow, Weds. Had an Inservice day and an Act 80 day so far. Been working way overtime lately, lol! Hours and hours at school and many more at home on paperwork and paper prep. A bit overwhelming right now and we've had soooo many changes from last year that you don't even know where to start! It's a shame that when things start, it is anything but "all about the kids!!!" Just isn't in the plan, lol!

ShannonRT, you are welcome for the list! Not sure it is totally complete, but shouldn't be too far off! There still may be some place that they have it listed, but I sure don't know where it is!

Peaches, how was the fill? Hope all went smoothly!

ssankofa73 I can sooo see and feel my port! It kind of juts out, lol!

Only4me, I have had a few "comfortable" foods cause me problems in unexpected situations. I think, I get too comfortable with certain foods and forget to eat slowly and chew, chew, chew. Not sure, just seems to be what triggers mine. Glad you are doing well otherwise. I also feel more restricted at night, no idea why, I know others say they feel like that in the morning, but mine seems to be in the evenings. Go figure, if it is bizarre, it will happen to me, lol!

AppleBlossom and all the other mothers that have sent their children to school ... Enjoy your time!!! Never had that kind of time, I suppose some day and then I will miss my girls terribly and will complain of too much time, lol!