Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Kathy - your kitchen looks lovely. What a difference between the U and L shapes, huh? You must be so thrilled that it's nearly done.

As far as your little angel...she looks so much like you...it's hard to imagine otherwise.

Indio - sorry you had a bad experience in the hospital.

Dini - what page is your little one's picture on?

Sunshine - all the nurses I had were wonderful. I think they all attended the 'sunshine attitute' about nursing, thankfully for me.

Janiee - glad you are home. It gets easier everyday after surgery.

Tinkerbell - congrats on your 19 lb weight loss.

Pris

Good morning! Just checking in to see what I missed. Day 6 for me and I'm feeling good. Got on the exercise bike for the first time yesterday afternoon for just 20 minutes, as I didn't want to push it. Felt good! Lost two pounds yesterday. Quit fighting the shakes and started having one low carb slim fast choc shake for Breakfast and dinner with a bowl of blended chicken noodle Soup and an EAS Protein Drink which I chug during the day to round out my Protein needs. Eat a little Jello or a popsicle if I get bored. Not hungry, only eating because I need to.

Don't feel any restrictions at all on liquids, etc., but feel like I am full. Hope hunger doesn't return any time soon!

My hospital experience was nice! Supposed to get there at 8:30 for a 10:30 surgery. Got there earlier, took me on back, got me all ready. Two failed attempts on the IV's that hurt a little, but nurse was really sweet and apologetic. Finally got it in, although I didn't let her give me but one lidocaine shot and I wouldn't have taken that if I knew it hurt more than the IV stick. Don't think anybody had ever used it on me before, so I didn't know better. Got an injection in the stomach for blood clot prevention and a pill for nausea. Then taken into surgery early. All went perfectly, woke up in recovery and taken back to room. A few minutes later they asked if I could stand up, I did and they called for someone to take me to radiology and I went down for the upper GI, where I had to stand in front of the wall while I drank the liquid. All looked good, they let me look too, and pointed out the band, stomach, etc. Gave me Water to rinse my mouth, etc. Then back to room and they gave me a full cup of ice water to drink. It was delicious! Then they said I could get dressed and go home. Got dressed and they wheeled me to the car. Made them get me another cup of ice water for the road. Felt fine on way home and the rest of the day, just sore!

As to nurses, i had one primary and three other nurses that attended to me prior to the operation and they were all really, really nice! But afterwards, one came in that was very short with me. She didn't want to get me the incentive spirometer or the pill crusher (that I was supposed to have per their brochure), she was short with me when I asked questions about a contradiction in the discharge instructions regarding resumption of meds, and a form that looked like it said I was a smoker, when I was not. She was nice at first joking with me and my husband, but then got strange and I asked my husband if we did anything to piss her off. But we hadn't. She looked at me strange when I asked for a refill on the water and delegated the task to someone else! I had asked nicely and said when you get a chance, etc. etc. I was just so cotton mouthed and didn't want to get into trouble on way home with nausea or anything.

But all and all a wonderful experience! All went like a dream. Pain hasn't been bad, just soreness, like everyone said over the port. And if I hadn't gotten the nausea Day 2 and 3, it would have been perfect. But an Rx took care of that.

Hey all,

I am 5 days post op and feeling much better. The only pain I still feel is at my two larger incision sites. The other 3 are tiny, so they don't hurt at all.

Here is my question..... My belly is gurglin, like a deep loud, rumblin sound. Is that sound gas trying to get around, or is it my lower stomach or is it something else?

Just wondering if any of you experienced this also?

Mornig all.

Gladster, I had the rumbling too, and it was very hard to tell if it was gas or hunger. Pay attention to when you eat and see if it goes away. Then time it, and see when it comes back. Hunger should subside for 2 to 3 hours and then stat up again, gas will keep going.

Brandy, sound like you had a similar experience as I did in the hospital. No real problems, and I didn't have the nausea after I got sick when I woke up.

So I've read a lot of you had upper GI afterwards. I only had a x-ray taken while I was still out of it. So there's anothe difference in doctors.

BiggestLoser, I'm suprised there isn't a show on yet this year, but they may have just got done taping. Now that I think about it, the show usually starts in September. I loved it when they did the shorter episodes in January 06, with the families, military wives, engaged couples, etc. Wonder why they didn't do it again this year. And how do you like the new lady that replaced Jilllian, and have you heard anything as to why she's gone???

Welcome cate54!

:help: So I am just finishing up my day 3 and I started drinking my Protein Drinks today. I am drinking Profect as they have 25 grams of Protein in only 2.9 ounces with no carbs and no sugars. They don't taste bad and are fruity. I had been able to get down about 40-50- ounces of Clear Liquids, but now I am so full from the protein drinks that I am only getting down like 30-35. Any suggestions? I read someone suggested beei-protein like beni-fiber which dissolves and is tastelss? Does that work? Has anyone heard of it? Do they sell it at Wal-mart? I need someehing to mix into my Water and broth to get more protein in. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Other than that doing great. The worst of my pain is gas in my chest and back.

Congrats to all the new bandsters and the soon to be bandsters!!! Woo hoo, we can do it!!!

Tink,

That is my struggle, too. Not getting in enough protein or liquids. I wait an hour after drinking 4 oz of protein before i drink anything else, right?? Then start on some crystal lite or something. Went too long without pain med during the night and hurting this morning.

TINKERBELL

Yes, Benefibre is great... does the trick {wink, wink}

it is tasteless and dosn't thicken up and get all gooey before you drink it. You can also mix it into your cyrstal lite if you wish or a cup of tea

Phyl, some docs say a 1/2 hour, some say 1 hour after meal before drinking. Mine is a 1/2 doc, so as soon ans my 1/2 hour is up, I'm drinking right away. May help you et in your liquids.

Tinkerbell, you can get the unflavored powders for your Soups. I don't like them in my Water though. Don't taste too good, but you may be ok with it. Did your Doc tell you how many grams of Protein to hit every day?

Tink,

That is my struggle, too. Not getting in enough Protein or liquids. I wait an hour after drinking 4 oz of protein before i drink anything else, right?? Then start on some crystal lite or something. Went too long without pain med during the night and hurting this morning.

Phyl, I don't think you have to wait an hour after drinking protein to drink anything else. Liquids are not staying in you stomach long anyway. It is the protein that satisfies your hunger. When you reach the mushie stage is when you should not drink.

Now that is my understanding. If I am wrong, please correct me so I don't screw things up after my surgery this week.

Good morning to all.:car:

As with everything I've read, I think it's different with every doctor.

Right now I can drink Protein and then my crystal light right after each other w/no waiting period. However once I start my muschie period, I must wait :30 before/after eating before drinking again.

I got on the scale this morning and was so happy! I'm down a total of 22# now! It's so amazing how much better I feel physically and mentally with the weight loss.

Gladster12~ totally having gurgling in my stomach too so loud and annoying! I think mine is gas cuz it doesn’t go away

Phyllser~I don’t wait to drink my liquids with my Proteins. I talked to one of the doctors front office personnel and she said just to get what I can down. As long as I am getting a good amount of liquid and Protein I should be fine. As for the pain meds, I take mine right before bed. I then usually wake up at like 6 or 6:30 for no reason and would take it again which would get me through the morning. Today (day 5) I woke up and just took some tyleonl and I am doing great. Yesterday I was able to go 12 hours between doses of pain meds. It will get easier. Today I woke up and actually felt human again. Just keep your chin up and get what you can down. Don’t push it, each day you will be able to get a little more down. You are doing a great job!

Lynette617~ my doctor wants between 40 and 70 grams of Protein a day. Is there an unflavored powder that you recommend? I know they have one at GNC, but they don’t know if it is really tasteless and how well it works. Any suggestions?

6/1/07 350

6/27/07 339

7/18/07 331

weight.png

Hi Everyone,

I am brand new to this site, and I was banded on Friday, July 20th. I'm feeling a little sore around my port area, but other than that, I'm doing great. I was able to lose 36 lbs before going into surgery, so I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more melt away now that the surgery is done.

I am so happy to find such a wonderful site/support group. Looking forward to hearing how everyone else is doing!

weight.png

Ms Yackie, welcome to the Lucky 7's. We have a great support group here, and look forward to getting to know you better. Jump on in, it's been a little slow today, but it will get going later tonight, I hope. We do like to 'yach' a lot, so you will fit right in,LOL!!!

So where are you from, and where did you have your surgery?

Tinkerbell, did your surgeon tell you whether to use isolate or concentrated Protein powder. I use the Jay Robbs isolate Protein Powder, it's absorbed by the body better than concentrated. Check with him, and I got my Jay Robbs locally, but you can find it at Jayrobbs.com if you can's find it anywhere else.

Slow day around here today. Where is eveyone, I guess you all have lives,LOL. My DH went fishing last night, so he's taking a nap, and I just put my son down for one, so I'm ready to talk, and no ones home-

ho hmm.