Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please chime in...

I'm 7 weeks out and finding myself running around a again and back in the real world.. it's sometimes hard to plan meals or even take meals where I go.. a lot of friends like to eat out restaurants/fast food.. what are good options at these restaurants/fast food restaurants?? When responding please share how far you're out

I am only 2 weeks out and since I can't return to work yet friends are always trying to take me out. i keep a Protein shake on me and plenty of Water. I've also carried yogurt and crystal light with me and keep some in the car so i always have something. For you I would say to just choose from the low cal menu since most restaurants have one or choose anything with fish and greens, any other healthy decisions...Good Luck!

I am almost 5 months out. It was hard at first especially being limited with what you can eat, knowing how much you can eat, etc. I can pretty much eat anything I want now but only a small amount. Since I can't eat a lot, I try to make good food choices. Unfortunately, this is not always easy when out with friends. I went out of town on a girl’s trip this past week. At dinner I order grilled Asian wings and a small side of greens. I always try to eat vegetables and Protein first so I ate the greens first then I had 2 wings. I was done after that. At brunch I order a side of bacon and two scrambled eggs. I ate all of the eggs and two strips of bacon. Then I was done. You can chose from the kids menu if you like but I have found the kids menu is usually not the best. It usually has chicken tenders, cheeseburgers, chilled cheese, etc. Stuff I try to stay away from. You can also consider ordering just a side. I am not a big meat person so I will order vegetables that I like. Either way, find what works for you and try not to let it stress you out. The last 5 months I have had to eat to live as opposed to living to eat like before. Good luck.

It was tough going out at first, but I would say that now (14 months post op) I can find something pretty much everywhere. I also carry a Protein shake and a pack of peanuts in my purse at all times in case I am somewhere and there is nothing that would fit with my nutritional needs. It makes it a lot easier to say no to temptation when you have a back up.

But to answer your question, for my safe options I will order something like a 1/2 salad with chicken and eat just the chicken off of it, maybe a couple of bites of salad, but there's usually not room. Or pretty much everywhere has your standard grilled chicken sandwich or wrap. I will just order that and leave the bun or wrap and just eat the chicken. Hope that helps!

I'm 7 weeks out as well. I do what I did pre-surgery. In the car I keep larabars, and either almond/cashews or pistachios. I always carry a bottle of Water. Processed food doesn't always sit well with me because I have multiple food allergies & I'm vegetarian. If I am pushed I will get a egg crossaint at Dunkin Donuts. I toss the bread and eat the egg. My other option is a veggie burger from Burger King no ketchup/mayo and again I toss the bun.

At the support group one woman says she had a small mini cooler she keeps in her car. I think I may adopt this practice as well. This way I can carry more safe foods with me and not run the risk of being tempted by fast food .

Edited by Blerdgirl

My favorite thing to order when I'm out is a hamburger patty and I dip it in mustard and ketchup. I eat almost half and I never eat the sides. I am 7 weeks post op as well. I can't handle salad unfortunately. It doesn't sit well. That is the only thing so far that I can't eat. Everything else is good.

I hear ya! food is dramatically less important than it was pre-surgery. I am 3 months out and have only gone out to eat twice. I find ordering an appetizer is the best way to go. I say just use common sense when deciding what to get. Nothing too fatty or sweet. Something with lots of lean Protein and the more colorful the better! I went to Firebirds - a sort-of steak house - and got the crab cake app that came with a slaw tossed in a light vinegarette. Veggies can be tough at first though, so don't eat anything you think will cause discomfort. A veggie burger with no bun or grilled chicken is always a good option. Good luck!

I am 4 months out post RNY surgery and have been out to dinner/lunch a handful of times. My "go to" meal is a grilled chicken salad. I know, pretty boring, but you can usually get in anywhere including fast food restaurants. I always get the chicken and the dressing on the side. I start with the chicken then have a few bites of salad and take the rest home for someone else. I really try to just stick to eating at home but sometimes I'm not able to do so.

Best of luck!

Edited by tamg26k