Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Catheter during surgery

So, I have NEVER had surgery and when I was going through my paperwork that my surgeon's office gave me yesterday, I came upon reading about the urinary catheter that they are going to use for me. Is this something they insert when I'm still out???

I'm getting major surgery in THREE days and this is one of the things I have on my mind lol

Thanks in advance

It goes in when you're out and out when you're awake. It's not as frightening as you'd think.

yes they put it in when you are sleeping and i had mine in until the next day when they knew i was able to get up and walk good. so it all depends on your doctor if they will take it out or leave it in longer

Thank you both!!! :)

It did say they will take it out once I can get up and walk around, so phew! My brother had the sleeve done too and he recovered quite well, so I hope I'm just as lucky.

Same for me.....inserted after I was out, and then removed when they were sure I could get up and walk about.

They also want you to drink,...the catheter out put tells them how much you are drinking, ...hydration is very important!

I'm still pre-op,but I've had several other surgeries. The catheter isn't bad. It is much better for me than trying to urinate on a bedpan. They usually take it out before you even notice it. I hope I can get up and walk around as soon as possible. I always feel better when I am up and walking. Best wishes to you on your surgery, Crystal88!

Good luck crystal I'd be freaking out about that too lol now I know the answer too

The nurse had me stop at the bathroom on the way to the OR, because they didn't want to have to put one in.

I was worried about it too, as this was my first major surgery.

I had one after I gave birth to my son and it wasn't bad. Was having trouble going after and they used it to get things going. As for the surgery, my dr said he wouldn't be using one because the surgery doens't take that long.

Edited by LosingIt74

Hi they put it in while your knock out and as soon as you can walk within 24 hours they removed it . congrats on your choice to being healthy and hood luck .

Mine was inserted while out and was left in for 2.5 days. It wasn't horrible, but I really didn't see the point as I could've urinated just fine. Of course, I'm not the doctor. :)

It's not pleasant, but not the worst thing in the world.

Don't forget you'll have that wonderful self-administering morphine drip. I loved that button!

i had one during labor...it's not that bad. it's odd though because you can't feel yourself peeing even when you are and you can't feel anything but you know you're peeing--a real mind trip LOL.

my surgeon will insert a catheter once i'm clonked out and then my bladder will be emptied and it will be taken out before i wake up. once i'm up, no more catheter. if i have to go...i have to walk. that is my surgeon's rule. if i can't walk...i'll have to get help. he is adamant that all of his patients must walk as soon as possible after surgery, and going to the bathroom is an encouragement. he also says a bit of pain is good post surgery...because to control pain most of us take deep breaths--and he wants us breathing deep to get the circulation going.

either way...the catheter is not that bad :)

I asked specifically about that because I've never had one (even though I've had a couple other surgeries). My doctor said that he doesn't use one either for much the same reason as the above poster. Surgery doesn't last long and he wants you up within a couple of hours post-op.

I had my pre-op this past Friday and I found out I'll have a catheter too. I've had surgery before and the getting up every 20-30 minutes to pee was one of the worst parts of the immediate post-op experience.

It will feel weird BUT the benifits far outweigh the annoyances!! Although this does means no pajamma pants until the next day.