Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soon to be banded in Richmond

Hi,

My name is Angie and I live in Virginia too, actually King William County. I am attending the free seminar next Tuesday that Richmond Surgical is hosting. I attened the one done by Comm. Surgeons (Dr. Hutcher spoke) and was not impressed w/ that group. So now I am waiting for this meeting to schedule an appt. and get this ball rolling. I am hoping to have my surgery in late January or early February.

:whoo:

Welcome Angie!! Congrats on your decision. :clap2:This is a super place to get your questions answered and find others that are going through the same thing you are. As much as our families love us, it's hard for them to related to our being overweight, and i have found boundless support and more importantly, answers to my silly questions. I am being banded by Dr Brengman in 8 days and i am super excited. I am currently on the pre op diet and it's really not too bad. Lost 7 pounds in 7 days, but I am sure a few of those pounds are just Water weight.

Anywhoo, good luck and follow your doctors orders. And stay in touch with us on this forum and let us know how your lap band journey is going.

God Bless

Mary

Grace I am glad you found this site. I have met some great friends on the Richmond thread and others. I had my surgery with Commonwealth Surgeons, Dr. Batista, and had a wonderful experience. The staff at the office are great. They need another surgeon, not sure what they are doing about that. But Dr. Brengman's group is very good too from people who went there. It is a go with your gut call!

MaryW 1 WEEK!!! Are you getting excited? I know it is one minute excitement, the next questioning your choice. All is normal. It sounds like you are doing great on the preopt. I enjoyed it, lost weight before surgery which was nice. Is there a September 2007 thread on here? I find that my monthly group is helpful for sharing day to day experienes and support. But don't leave here either!!!

Lost 2 more lbs...it is coming off!

Thanks so much for all your support. Yes i am a member of the Sept 07 club too. Don't know what I would do without this forum.

Diet still good. Haven't thought about cheating because i so stoked about this surgery. I know it will take a lot of work on my part, but with this help i know I can do it.

God Bless

Mary

Hi Bandmates

I found out that 7-11 now carries Crystal Light icee's. I have had one the last two days and they are fantastic....and allowed. Check them out if you get a craving for something sweet and icy.

Have a great day

Mary

Maryw, 7 eleven has had crystal light slurpies here in northern va for sometimes, but it is hit or miss, which is disappointing when you think of one and stop at a 7 eleven and they don't have it! they are good!!

Hello all~

I'm also from the tri-cities area...Prince George County and was recently banded by Dr. Schroeder at St. Mary's. I definitely need the support from anyone out there. I'm looking for a support group in my area. Currently still on liquids...cheated today be eating a few doritos :cry. Will start my soft foods on Thursday...can't wait! I feel like a chil waiting for Christmas!!! LOL!

Welcome PrettyB! I was banded by Commonwealth Surgeons at St. Mary's as well. Dr. Batista is accross the hall from your doctor. When were you banded? Have you been to the support groups at the hospital? I live in Stafford, so it is an hour to the hospital and the groups are late. I did attend one. My NP said the Thursday groups has many banders with gastric bypass.

How are you doing with your eating? Since you are on soft foods did you just have the surgery? I have had 2 fills, now at 5.75 cc. I have my next appointment on Oct 8. I am hoping to get a bit more and then stop. we shall see.

Keep posting, I read every day and will keep up with you if you need to chat!

Welcome Pretty B...I am from Dinwiddie and was banded on Jun 27 by Dr Batista. I have several friends that have had this and is doing great. You will get hungry, but just hang in there. You will cheat some of the time, but most of the time you will find something to eat that will fill you up. I try to read the VA input once or twice a week. The best think I have found to help with the hungry pains are the Protein drinks....Blend the carnation light, with a little ice, one splenda and put a scoop of Protein Powder in it. I use the Soy Protein powder, plain, which has 20 grams of protein. It works for me. Good Luck...

Hi Ja9Va~

I was banded on 9/20...so far so good. I really need to work on getting my shakes in....I guess that I'm alittle paranoid about my band slipping if I put tooo much in.

No I have not gone to a support meeting as of yet...I live about 40 mins from St. Mary's so I was hoping to find a support group in my area. (Hopewell)

My appt. is scheduled for Oct. 9th with Dr. Schroeder...what usually happens at the 1st appt? I went walking today...still kinda sore from my port...but not tooo bad.

Hi Twinkletoe~

Thanks for the advice. I've been drinking the Slimfast High Protein Shakes...they do not taste 2 bad. Would love to have a nice steak -n-cheese...but thats one of the reasons why I'm on this website. LOL!!!! Keep In Touch

Hello everyone.

Just had the surgery on Thursday and so far so good. I had to report to the hospital at 7:15 with the surgery scheduled at aroud 9:30. Doctor Brengman had two other girls there at the same time going through the procedure. I was the first. Woke up in recovery a little groggy and very thirsty. The nurses were great and in recovery and gave me a bunch of ice chips which felt like heaven at the time. No nausea or pain in recovery. About an hour and a half later they brought me to my room. I was thinking we all got private rooms, but it turned out to be more of a recovery room area with three curtained off sections with a nurses station in front of us. We had our own TV's so that helped. You would be surprised just how busy that one nurse is so i would suggest that you have someone bring you a big styrofoam cup of ice and keep it filled. My only complaint was that it sometimes took hours to get a cup of ice or Water. And when you are dried up from the Morhine meds it can seem like a lifetime. The overall pain was very manageable with the morphine so i suggest you use it and sleep the first day. I really enjoyed getting to know Gwen how was in the pod next to me. Very sweet girl. I was release yesterday and got home around noon. Slept off and on. My hubby made my Instant Breakfast/ Protein concoction and added a half a packet of Splenda in it and it was delicious. Splenda made it taste like a real milk shake. He blended in a couple ice cubes too. The hospital gives you a bunch of those little cups to take home and tells you to drink from them so you drink really slowly. A little gas pain, but it seems to subside after walking. Took a walk up the road this morning and visited with the horses for a bit. Started to get a little uncomfortable so I came back home. Better sign off now because my thoughts are rambling. God bless

Mary

Maryw, glad everything went well!!! How have you been through the weekend? It is great weather to get out and walk, even if it is just a few feet and back. This will help with the gas pains and make you feel better. Are you taking a few days off of work? I took a few, probably could have gone back, but it was worth it!

pbeyez sounds like you are doing great. Your first visit is usually a weigh in, checking your incisions, your eating, pain etc. Then you will be given an appointment for your first fill! I beleive your doc also gives a fill around 6 wks from surgery. How have you been eating?

I am down 3 lbs and very excited. I am in One..derland and half way to goal!! I have set a goal of 160 however once there I will evaluate, shoot, another 10lbs will make me happy at this point. The BAND is GREAT...

Hello Everyone~

MaryWalker~ Glad to know that your surgery went well:). Welcome to the world of lapband (smile). You are going to do great...believe me. Please keep me informed.

Ja9va~ Thanks for your concern. I started my mushy diet on last Thursday. I fixed some eggs and felt warm and fuzzy all over! LOL! I was told to use eggbeaters which doesn't taste soo bad but way better than chicken broth. LOL! I've lost only 10lbs since surgery but still glad to see the scale go down and not up.:rose:

Glad to hear all the positive feedback. Good to know everyone is doing well on their journeys.

Ive done all my appts (as far as I know) I guess Im just waiting to hear from Joyce. I'm not sure if I should contact her again or my GP, Im just waiting to hear. (so past ready for this to happen already. I want to be one of you!

I am in Sussex county, little place called Yale ( between Jarratt and Stony Creek)