Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico travel warning?

A friend of mine sent me this article today as she knows I'm going to Tijuana for gastric sleeve surgery in November. http://www.travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

Is anyone else worried about traveling to Mexico or even on a plane considering Ebola is all over the news??! I'm kinda freaking out about both and my tickets are already booked!! Has anyone recently been there for this surgery & did u feel safe??

Ebola plays into people's fear and drums up ratings for networks. Take that with a grain of salt. Mexico has had a travel ban for years. 99% of tourists make it home safely. You are not going on adventure travel and you aren't going to be participating in risky activities. You will be just fine. Remember, Tijuana is visited by thousands of Americans everyday looking for fun and cheap jewlery.

Sorry, not travel ban. Travel warning. heh

I did worse than TJ and went to Juarez- by myself. :-). I figured the bad guys were probably not sitting at the airport waiting for fat ladies to get off the plane so they could steal their Protein shakes.:-). The car picks you up and takes you straight to the hospital. Personally, and I am very well traveled, I would skip recreational sightseeing outside of distinct tourist areas and just stick around your hospital. I never left the hospital until I returned to the airport. I also took absolutely no valuables whatsoever and dressed down. Not the trip for Louis Vuitton luggage and diamond rings. Leave that stuff at home.

TJ has Americans shopping more and they don't stand out as much. An American wandering around Juarez would most likely draw attention unless they looked Hispanic. With the level of random violence in that city being what it is, I personally wouldn't put my fair freckled skin in that situation. If one does have a problem, police in Juarez are not necessarily your friends and may contribute to the problem. My hospital there was fabulous but I felt it prudent to stay in it and not wander. Maybe I'm a chicken.:-) I was also glad that I took next to nothing with me. Literally - a few tee shirts in a cheap handbag. My peers had to dump every embarrassing item they'd packed out on a table in front of everyone we were traveling with and half of Mexico so that the Customs guys and their dogs could go through it. So- hint - everything is very public coming back into US.:-)

Just went to Tijuana for my surgery on Oct 1st. I never felt at risk, we even walked to the local grocery store for munchies.

Who is your surgeon?

I went to TJ for my surgery and had no problems. I also travel to TJ to shop and sightsee. I have never felt like I am in danger.

The media always plays into people's fears. I live very close to Mexicali Mexico and can tell you there is nothing going on. be cautious but do not worry about extreme danger.

I had mine on 10/14. I wasn't worried about safety. My husband on the other hand was even brought a big knife just in case. It was not very long into the trip he told he was worried for nothing. We went to some touristy places afterwards never felt in danger.

I just returned from Tijuana on Monday...... No issues what so ever! Felt perfectly safe....everyone is super nice and friendly....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches