Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@Shadow427. I only lost 2 pounds in the past 30 days. But my mentor who wen through this process 6 years ago (and still looks fantastic) said that most everyone has a little stall right around this time (4-5 months) out because the body needs a break to adjust. You may be losing inches instead, and if you lost less fat than you gained muscle, it's not going to show well on the scale. In my case, my body fat percentage has gone down 2.5%, which is about 11 pounds of FAT. So, if the scale only shows 2 pounds, that's okay. I know my body is just taking time to adjust to the new "configuration" of fat and lean tissue. Stay the course. Happy hour isn't that happy anyway.

VENTING:

I went to my support group last night to find out it was just my surgeon there for questions. I know this is bad, but I don't like him and I don't like his answers to many questions. Most are good, but his "philosophy" for nutrition is just stupid. He is very ridged. 50-70g of Protein in the morning for Breakfast, lunch, dinner. more Water than you can imagine, and no matter what your drinking for fluids it is not enough. NO SNAKS AT ALL!!

If I had known I would have skipped and spent time with my company I had over last night and been able to have the dinner I prepared for everyone else. I have heard his speech too many times, it just annoyed me. I felt let to just mention that it does not work for everyone, and if I do that I get sick, I need Protein at around 3-4pm so I can make it to 7pm dinner. He just said "well when you gain weight, come see me" I wanted to just leave.

The biggest thing for me and I tell people is we are all different, and our needs and journey will be different. He just annoys me that he lumps us all in one box and says "this works" "you can do it, you fail"

I know I need to control my snacking, yes. But I refuse to feel guilty for splitting my shakes up and having my "snack protein shake".........but some how he has made me to feel guilty and shamed.....and that pisses me off.

@@PinkPolkadot619 I'm sorry it was a disappointing night. My doctors and his nutritionist have probably the worst education / support out there, but they are also advocates of the "no snacks" rule, which, like you, I've adapted to fit my lifestyle. That generally means I have a very light (100 calorie) snack mid-morning and a protein-rich snack (150-200 cal) in the afternoon. And I will increase those if I'm having a highly active day. His attitude probably comes from frustration with folks who have the surgery and don't stay on top of the life changes necessary to sustain it, but you have to be honest with yourself, and as long as you are reaching your personal goals, keep doing what you need to do to be healthy, sane, and happy. I'm honestly worried my surgeon is going to be disappointed with my weight loss, but I'm thrilled. I've only lost about 45 pounds since the surgery, but I'd lost 68 before the surgery. And I'm smaller now than I was in high school. I told him beforehand that I'd be happy with anything under 200, but now I want to get to 186 (4 more pounds!), only because that will take me officially out of the "obese" category. We're all a work in progress.

VENTING:

I went to my support group last night to find out it was just my surgeon there for questions. I know this is bad, but I don't like him and I don't like his answers to many questions. Most are good, but his "philosophy" for nutrition is just stupid. He is very ridged. 50-70g of Protein in the morning for Breakfast, lunch, dinner. more Water than you can imagine, and no matter what your drinking for fluids it is not enough. NO SNAKS AT ALL!!

If I had known I would have skipped and spent time with my company I had over last night and been able to have the dinner I prepared for everyone else. I have heard his speech too many times, it just annoyed me. I felt let to just mention that it does not work for everyone, and if I do that I get sick, I need Protein at around 3-4pm so I can make it to 7pm dinner. He just said "well when you gain weight, come see me" I wanted to just leave.

The biggest thing for me and I tell people is we are all different, and our needs and journey will be different. He just annoys me that he lumps us all in one box and says "this works" "you can do it, you fail"

I know I need to control my snacking, yes. But I refuse to feel guilty for splitting my shakes up and having my "snack protein shake".........but some how he has made me to feel guilty and shamed.....and that pisses me off.

What a jerk!!! This journey is difficult enough without this kind of obnoxious attitude. He doesn't realize that our life is full of people that judge us based solely on our size! We are working to become healthier... he obviously is NOT!!

NO MORE GUILT AND SHAME!!!

@Glyndalin: Yes, I know. And thanks for the support. I appreciate it. The head often knows the right things, but, sometimes the emotions get in the way.

I feel much better today... especially since I wore a skirt I haven't worn in a long time because it was way too small.... And, as I was walking down the hallway, it started to fall off.... and my underwear didn't exactly match my outfit. I did get a chuckle from someone.

Morale of the story: IT IS NOT ALL ABOUT THE SCALE! ! !

@ Pinkpolka - Well it is a darned good thing you have all of us to let you know you are awesome!!

I am really surprised at your doctor's nutritional advise. My NUT reminds me that food is fuel. And, you have to keep gas in your tank or you won't function. They encourage 3 meals and 2 Snacks a day. Of course, everything is measured and carefully calculated. In general my calorie count is between 700 - 1000 cals a day. Since I am tall, they say being closer to 1,000 is fine.

I am fortunate I have an awesome doctor with a great personality. (And, he is super handsome, too...) And, the office staff, support group folks and NUT are all very encouraging. If someone slips a bit, they encourage them to get right back on track versus making them feel horrible. They are REAL though. They will tell it like it is and give you a bit of tough love when you need it. But, it is always stated in "what you did was not good; but that doesn't mean YOU aren't a good person." They focus on behaviors.

@@Becoming Bariatrical @@Shadow427 @@Glyndalin

Thank you all so much!!! I know my period is also making me much more sensitive but damn it has been bothering me all day. sign....

but his shit head move has worked, I have not snacked all day, I will still have my second Protein shake at 3:30 but I am doing good today. I refuse to let him be right and me gain weight back.

Hello Glorious Ladies and Gent!

In response to Beni.. surprisingly I still burp and toot! I'm thinking this something I'll have to accept. For some reason, im not able toneat as much lately. Im getting full much quicker than like a month ago. I made braised beef tips the other nightm I had small bites/abt 3.. and I lost my cookies! Also, 2 days ago I did swim aerobics, and then sat in the jacuzzi for abt 5 min, I got so weak, my legs gave out and I started to throw up. I was having the dry heeves. Yuck! Someone helped me, and I drank 3 glasses of Water and felt better. A very bizarre incident!

How is everyone else doing??

Sorry everyone, have not been around for a bit. Life got busy and my computer had a virus. Pop up windows that basically ran all over the screen making it impossible to turn them off. Jeez!

Things have been going well but I still get sick once in a while. Last Saturday, I ate a strawberry too fast and go really sick. My tummy was queasy for days and I think I am going back on Protonix. Does anyone get a lot of burping and gas? I am not sure why but sometimes I get these burping fits and I can't stop burping for an hour. My diet is good except for yesterday. I ate two Hawaiian bread rolls. Not all at once. Just a bite here and there but it was two freaking rolls. Didn't make me sick though. Very surprised!

Must do better today!

I have been thinking of you all a lot lately and imagining how feeling better must be making such a difference in your lives.

Love, always!

Hey Beni! I've been a bit MIA too. Just busy all around! Bummer about your computer!

Things have been going better for me too, eating wise. I continue to figure out which foods I need to just eliminate. mayo seems to be a for sure no go for me. I've tried it in different things, and I guess that's just a no no for me. I tried some Miracle whip instead with some tuna and that worked alright.

I do not seem to have gas/burping issues. My Aunt warned me about horrible gas that she has after surgery, but I don't have it at all really. yay!

I've been going to physical therapy for my hip/back. It's slowly getting better, but sure wish it'd just clear up all together so I can get to some heavy workouts. I finally have energy and I want to use it! We've been walking pretty much every night, which feels AMAZING! I can't believe how far I can go with no foot pain. And the hills don't leave me so winded and thinking I'm gonna pass out like they used to, LOL!

I can officially say I am GLAD I had the surgery! But if anyone that's thinking about having the surgery asks me about the good/bad and the ugly, I will for sure tell them. I don't think out of the all the people I talked to, I really had a clue how hard it was going to be.

I am so glad I'm past that hard part!

Nice to "see" you!! :D

I'm so sorry you had an unpleasant experience at your support grp. It's hard te receive any kind information when the

person is short tempered. However, its an opportunity for growth. Keep doing you, and all will be well!

I love to hear stories abt the big clothes that don't fit! Thus morning I out on Capri pants, and they were saggy. So, I put my new capri pants on..size 16, and they fit wonderfully! I'm at the mall, and shopped in Wet Seal, and bought 2 shirts for me! Exciting to be in the "normal" size clothes. I feel like im in disbelief!!! It's actually happeneing.. niw I can shop in most any store!

I feel like I crossed over a huge hump!

I have been so hungry lately just not satisfied. I am doing everything to stay on course. I feel like I am at a stall because this is the first time my scale has not moved. All my new clothes fit which makes me happy so I am pretty sure I am losing inches. I know I am getting in my Protein. But I love the Quest bars which makes me feel guilty. Im not sure why I am feeling this way. Is it normal?

I have been so hungry lately just not satisfied. I am doing everything to stay on course. I feel like I am at a stall because this is the first time my scale has not moved. All my new clothes fit which makes me happy so I am pretty sure I am losing inches. I know I am getting in my Protein. But I love the Quest bars which makes me feel guilty. Im not sure why I am feeling this way. Is it normal?

@@LisaCO, why on earth would you feel guilty about Quest bars?!

♫Let it go. Let it go!♫

Provided you aren't eating too many of them. I credit Quest bars with the 68 pounds I lost before surgery. And after surgery, I have eaten at least one a day (although sometimes at two sittings) to make sure I get both Protein and Fiber in. Plus, the cookies-and-cream and white chocolate raspberry satisfy my sweet tooth (which, unfortunately, the surgery did not help).

Focus on what you are doing right. A lot of us got into the position of needing surgery because we have issues of all-or-nothing thinking, perfectionism, "good food / bad food, " and so on. Your new clothes are fitting? Yay! You feel better? Double yay! Yay for you! Silence that inner critic by giving your inner cheerleader a chance to "Ra Ra Cis Cum Bah" you. You deserve it.

Hugs,

Glenda

Here's my NSV for today.

I drove up here to Longview (about 4.5 hours from my house) to conduct a teacher's workshop. I brought a pair of my favorite dress pants that I hadn't worn since before the surgery because they were too tight. I figured they'd perfectly by now. And, yes, I know. I should have checked before I left home.

So, now I have a little problem because they do not fit. They are literally falling off me. At the moment, I have a binder clip at my waist to "take them in." I have about an hour before the workshops starts. I'm seriously considering going to Wally World (aka Walmart) and getting a pair of "emergency pants." LOL! All I need is a bunch of teachers saying, "Teacher, Teacher I declare. I see someone's underwear!"

Some situations are frustrating and exciting at the same time....

Have a great day, everyone.

Glenda

Funny on the no snacking rule. My NUT and RN both insisted that I have to have a snack in the afternoon around 4:00 Pm in order to make it to dinner at 7:00 PM. If I don't my blood sugar will become too low and I'll run out of fuel. Yes, it has happened. I used to have to take a nap in the afternoon to make it to dinner. Now, my snack is supposed to be a 100 cal or so, not a meal. So, I have breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. Once in a while I will have a bite of something but it's not out of control. I don't see how a cracker or a chocolate bite will ruin my bariatric life. That does not make any sense. It's like telling someone if you have a glass of wine you will become an alcoholic. Yes, there are dangers with snacking because we are in a higher risk category then the general population. We had weight issues before. We have gone "there" but mindful eating is not the same as mindless eating. Mindful drinking is not the same as mindless drinking. Right? We have to eat, lol!