Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for Dr in Mexico

Dr. Ariel Ortiz and Dr. Martinez at Obesity Control Center. OCC is a Center of Excellence with over 12,000 bariatric surgeries. No middle man Medical Tourism company to deal with....you go directly through OCC. Top notch care including excellent followup with all of the doctors, nutritionist and support staff. Check out the thread, "dr. Ariel Ortiz and Obesity Control Center" on this forum for comments and experiences from dozens of OCC patients. Or PM me for details about why I chose OCC and my experience.... No postop pain, no complications, over 100% loss of excess body weight and maintaining below goal at 10 months out.

Freebird14,

Thank you for sharing your experience and fabulous success! It is so encouraging! Did You happen to have Dr. Lopez perform the single incision technique, and if not, how large were your incisions and how are they healing? Thank you!

Hi OCSlim,

I did not have the single incision technique, but I was open to it and indicated as much on my health survey. I had also asked Cathy at Specialized Bariatrics, but she said Dr. Lopez would be performing the multiple incision technique for my surgery. I ended up with four incisions (sort of top, bottom, left and right), ranging in length from about 1/4" to 3/4" (which is a horizontal scar about an inch above my belly button)--in addition to a small scar where my drain was (this incision healed without stitches). All my incisions are healing nicely (I just ordered some ScarAway silicone strips to use to help fade them). I've had no pain or issues internally or externally since the surgery.

I did follow instructions regarding the need to walk, walk, walk--starting from the day of surgery. At six weeks out (a couple of weeks ago), I started full-out cardio and strength training classes (Jazzercise!) five days per week. On weekends I've been doing walking and heavy duty yardwork. :-)

That's fantastic! I spoke with Cathy at Specialized Bariatrics today, and she was extremely helpful. The single incision procedure will add $1500 to the price tag, but she said that I would heal faster and would just have one umbilical scar, which sounds pretty wonderful. Especially when I hear such inspiring stories of fast healing like yours. Thank you for the top about the silicone strips. If they're working well for you, I'll get some for me too. Thank you again for sharing!

I am also using Kathy @ Specialized Bariatric. She is a real sweet lady! She knows that I am going to college and every time I speak to her.....she asks me if I am doing my homework!!!

That's fantastic! I spoke with Cathy at Specialized Bariatrics today, and she was extremely helpful. The single incision procedure will add $1500 to the price tag, but she said that I would heal faster and would just have one umbilical scar, which sounds pretty wonderful. Especially when I hear such inspiring stories of fast healing like yours. Thank you for the top about the silicone strips. If they're working well for you, I'll get some for me too. Thank you again for sharing!

I'll give you an update on the ScarAway strips after using them for a bit--I think they're scheduled to arrive today! :-)

Cathy is SO WONDERFUL! I scheduled my surgery in early April and between then and my Aug. 13 surgery date, I probably contacted her every few days with one question or another (I didn't find the Bariatric Pal website until about 3 weeks before my surgery--LOTS of questions are answered here) and she was ALWAYS patient, helpful and in good humor.

I am also using Kathy @ Specialized Bariatric. She is a real sweet lady! She knows that I am going to college and every time I speak to her.....she asks me if I am doing my homework!!!

That doesn't surprise me. Cathy is a warm, friendly person--which is super comforting when dealing with/scheduling/preparing for a surgery such as ours.

I went thru Ready4Achange.com and Dr. Garcia performed my surgery in Tijuana for $4400. I'm 3 days out and feeling much better than I anticipated, but everyone's pain tolerance is different too. I feel a bit nauseaus here and there but overall pretty good. The nurses were good and attentive and good at bringing you pain and anti-nauseau medication often. Best of luck!

I had surgery with Dr. Hidalgo in Puerto Vallarta, I paid him $4200 and then I paid the hotel $300 so the total was $4500 his website is http://www.weightlossteam.com he is very good and the postop care is fantastic!

I'll give you an update on the ScarAway strips after using them for a bit--I think they're scheduled to arrive today! :-)

Cathy is SO WONDERFUL! I scheduled my surgery in early April and between then and my Aug. 13 surgery date, I probably contacted her every few days with one question or another (I didn't find the Bariatric Pal website until about 3 weeks before my surgery--LOTS of questions are answered here) and she was ALWAYS patient, helpful and in good humor.

ScarAway strips update: So, I used them for four days and had to quit due to a rash I was developing from the adhesive around the rim of the strips. Yikes-o-rama. And I normally do not have alergic reactions to adhesives, etc. I guess I will now use Vitamin E oil.

ScarAway strips update: So, I used them for four days and had to quit due to a rash I was developing from the adhesive around the rim of the strips. Yikes-o-rama. And I normally do not have alergic reactions to adhesives, etc. I guess I will now use Vitamin E oil.

Oh well...it was worth a try. So good ol' Vitamin E is all we have to go with? Some classics just can't be improved on, I guess. Well, at least I have a bottle at home LOL! If I hear of any other remedies, I'll let you know.

My uncle swears by coconut oil for scars. He started using it even years after his knee replacement and the scars faded significantly. I haven't tried it because my neck fusion scar and VSG scars are pretty faded on their own.

My uncle swears by coconut oil for scars. He started using it even years after his knee replacement and the scars faded significantly. I haven't tried it because my neck fusion scar and VSG scars are pretty faded on their own.

Thanks for that tip, Kindle. At the very worst, the coconut oil has a heavenly fragrance...and who knows, maybe your uncle is right. It's worth a try. Thanks!

Coconut oil and aloe vera worked for me... and they sell coconut oil at costco!

I've been using some Mederma gel I still had from back when I had plastics three years ago. My plastics scars are quite faded, even though I didn't stick to using the Mederma back then. I stopped using it because it comes in a TINY little tube for an exorbitant amount of money and my Tummy Tuck scar is something like 38 inches long... Doing the math, it was going to cost me a fortune to keep applying it to the full length of that scar multiple times a day for a couple of months. Plus, that scar is easily covered by my underwear. I'm more concerned about my sleeve scars, because they are right in the middle of my abdomen and much more visible if I were to ever wear a bikini or something. So I started using the Mederma on them... still much too early to tell if it will make a difference.

I am also new to this site and have been researching for awhile for Mexican doctors (I am coming from Canada). I do qualify for surgery in Canada, but my wait is 5-7 years in Calgary, AB

I can't decide between Dr. Arial Ortiz at OCC or Dr. Rodolfo Wilhelmy at Mexcicali Bariatric Centre (Almater hospital).

They both sound great with lots of experience and reviews from patients

Dr. Wilhelmy is about $2000 more expensive than Dr. A. Ortiz.

Both have F.A.C.S. with their names.

Dr. Wilhelmy performs surgeries in a hospital setting & Dr. A. Ortiz performs his at his clinic

3 nights of hospital stay with Dr. Wilhelmy, 1 night at hotel (do we really need the 3 nights in the hospital?)

1 night of hospital stay with Dr. A. Ortiz, 3 nights at hotel (is 1 night enough?)

It is a 90 minute car drive from San Diego to Dr. Wilhelmy's

It is a 30 minute car drive from San Diego to Dr. A. Ortiz'

Help!!