Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DAy of SURGERY 190 lbs 5'3 >>>> drop slow or fast?

I am 4'10" my first weigh in with surgeon I was 200lbs with a BMI of 40 and was 189lbs the day of surgery on 7/22/13......124lbs with a BMI of about 26 this morning a little over 14 months post op. My surgeon said I could lose about 80 pounds, I am at 76 pounds from the first weigh in and very happy with what I see in the mirror. The first 50 pounds dropped off, the rest was slow and steady, I have lost only 5 pounds since May. But, the number on the scale is only one indicator of sucess because there were times I lost no weight but my clothes were getting too big.

i would say you will lose slower...i was 218 on day of surgery (HW 233 or so) and tomorrow i will be 17wks out and i am now at 181. definitely losing still, but it has slowed some. not stressing, just keeping in my mind that the honeymoon period is 6 months so trying everything i can to get as much off during that time as possible.

i have 30 lbs to go until goal.

I am too busy working on my own lawn to notice if the grass is greener on the lawn of anyone else.

:)

Just because one person loses 50 pounds a month doesn't mean you will. Just because someone else only lost 10 pounds a month doesn't mean you will.The only thing that will come from comparing myself to anyone else is frustration. I am not comfortable rushing this journey, it isn't a race. It's my journey, my lawn, and I'll tend it and not worry about other people's lawns.

Just because one person loses 50 pounds a month doesn't mean you will. Just because someone else only lost 10 pounds a month doesn't mean you will.The only thing that will come from comparing myself to anyone else is frustration. I am not comfortable rushing this journey, it isn't a race. It's my journey, my lawn, and I'll tend it and not worry about other people's lawns.

I need to take your advice ! Woke up disappointed this morning - feeling like a failure. I have no idea why I'm not losing - I just need to try harder I guess and stop comparing ! That's where my frustration comes from. Thanks

I can't answer your question but I can validate the whole wondering what this experience will be like for you. I totally get it. This site does give users the option of displaying their height, weight, date of surgery, not to mention before and after pics and it's difficult not to look at someone's stats/pics and think "Wow! " or to see someone state being " a slow loser" and think " is that going to happen to me?" I have the same type of anticipatory thoughts or fears and, I don't think it's unreasonable. Your doc is the best person to forecast what you can expect to lose(if compliant) but the timetable isn't something they can really tell you for sure