Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Knee Replacement after Sleeve

Had my two month check up on Monday. Team is pleased with my progress. I told them I am scheduled for bilateral knee replacements on Nov 20th and they were not pleased with that bit of information. Their fear is that my weight loss will slow down considerably--or even halt. They would like me to wait a year -- but would even be ok with 6 months -- For a variety of reasons waiting 6 months or a year will be a hardship--may be able to wait until January. Has anyone had experience with joint replacement after being sleeved.

I had mine done quite a while before my sleeve and the only issue I can conclude that would interfere would be your ability to do rigorous exercises. What did they give for reasons you should delay the TKRs. :huh:

The team thought is that it would halt or drastically slow my weight loss.

Why do you have to do the knee surgery now?

Why not wait?

Why have 3 incredibly major surgeries in a 3-month period?

Edited by VSGAnn2014

The team thought is that it would halt or drastically slow my weight loss.

Yes, but why do they think it will slow you weight loss. I can think of no reason. I lost over 40 lbs after my first TKR because I was not that hungry. I still walked from the first day of Surgery and every day after, so you will get exercise. It it were me, I would get it out of the way. I see no reason why you couldn't recover from both at the same time. Just my non- medical opinion based on my experiences with both surgeries. ;)

Recycled--the thought was that after surgery I wouldn't be able to move very much and that is what would slow the weight loss. I posted here and another support group I am in and it seems that their fears are unfounded. I am grateful for the input.

VSGAnn2014--It will be two surgeries because I am having both knees done at the same time. I don't really want to go into the reasons why it is a problem for me to wait. I may be able to wait until January but not longer than that.

After I had my right knee replacement in 2007, I gained 35 pounds very quickly from lack of exercise. After I had my left knee replaced in 2011, I gained another 15 pounds.

I don't recommend getting both knees done at the same time, unless the doctor can guarantee outstanding pain management. It will be all you can do to just think, roll out of bed, eat, and get yourself to the bathroom. Secondly, you will need support from your family or someone who is strong enough to help you out of bed for a few days. Ask for the best physical therapist, or your range of motion will be awkwardly limited.

One advantage to getting them done at the same time is that you will have only one recovery period. Get pain meds and take them, especially until you have the staples removed. I was living alone in a small apartment and although I had friends and family within commuting distance, but they had their own lives to live. That means unless someone popped in to check on me, I had to be stable enough to ambulate and care for myself.

Two years after my 2011 surgery I decided to start an exercise program. What I did was order a variety of exercise DVDs to give myself some variety. With other orthopedic issues and two janky knees, I found that these were my favorites because they are low impact and can be done in a chair or laying on the bed. They are available on Amazon.< /p>

1. Exercises for the Bedridden and Physically Challenging, with David Stamps (he is well qualified and is easy on the eyes)

2. Chair Aerobics for Everyone - Chair Salsa, with David Stamps

3. Chair Aerobics for Everyone - Chair Tai Chi, with David Stamps

4. Chair Aerobics for Everyone - Chair Boxing, with David Stamps (a strong favorite for me)

5. Chair Aerobics for Everyone - Circuit Training Beach Party, with Ronit Amaya.

6. Stronger Seniors - Chair Exercise Program, (core fitness, which is a Pilates-based program) with Anne Pringle Burnell.

7. Stronger Seniors-Stretch and Strength, with Anne Pringle Burnell

8. Firming After 50, with Joel Harper (Brother of Bob Harper on Biggest Loser) Another strong favorite because he has his mother do a modified version, and I can keep up with her, It has both upper and lower body workouts plus some ab work that can be done in the bed.

9. Walk Your Belly Flat, with Leslie Sansone. On orthopedic "bad Days" I do this one standing in place in my walker. Otherwise, I can follow along in place, close to the TV.

10. Easy Yoga for Arthritis with Peggy Cappy. This is gentle yoga with modifications for different abilities, and includes meditation.

11. Fun Resistance Bands - Calisthenics and Pilates for the physically challenged, with Sunshine. (yep - that's her name)

12. Boomers' Workout, with Sunshine. This includes light weights to strengthen, tone, and firm.

13. Easy Chair Exercises, with Sunshine. Good for arthritis and osteoporosis

My Salsa, Hula, Hip-Hop Abs, Bollywood, and Pussycat Dolls would be a bit much when balance and coordination are compromised.

So, all of that said to say this: If you must follow through with bi-lateral knee replacements, be prepared to have to ask for help, and do exercise every day as soon as you are able.

It may be that a short walk will be all you can do until you get some stamina. As soon as you are post-op, bring us your questions. I am sure there are several of us in the forum who have had a joint replacement and can comiserate with you, and can lift you up with practial answers to your orthopedic concerns. These exercise programs would also be good for hip replacements, too. I wish you good luck and good health.