Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to get back on my path

I have so many things to say yet feel I can hardly add to what has been said.

Taking a different angle, I challenge you to look at limiting beliefs. Example, I have chronic pain but it is no worse when I am active. Is your pain really a limit? I cook for my grown sons. I coon meat and potatoes and salad and veggies. I don't eat the potatoes.

I do not mean to discount what you are experiencing. ..it's huge, I am just suggesting that breakthrough changes in life often rely on thinking differently.

I actually do cook two separate meals for myself and my dad. I'm being very cautious about what I eat. As far as the pain goes, I have multiple chronic pain conditions and I just try to do my best with them day by day. Today I'm hurting quite a bit but I'm going to try to go take a yoga class. I realize it isn't major cardio or anything but something is better than nothing. I actually took it for the first time last week and had a really good experience. I couldn't do all of the moves because of my own limitations but,I did what I could do and I know that that's better than nothing.

I called the nutritionist from where I had my surgery from and they were adamant about me making a new appointment and didn't want to answer any of my questions over the phone but I explained to her that I do not have the money to come in and see you then – it's an extra $65 to see the nutritionist and let's just say that my financial situation is very minimal on and I just don't have the money forlike that. She didn't seem to like the fact that I said I couldn't afford it but… Let's face it, I have to make sure that the electricity is still on and that the bills get paid.

So I was able to get her to at least answer two basic questions and one of them was how many calories I and supposed to have a day – she said not to measure calories at all only carbs and Protein. Were supposed to have less than 30 carbs a day and we have to have at least 60 g of Protein a day. I'm definitelynot in that guideline. I don't eat potatoes, rice, bread, anything of that nature but let's face it there are are carbs in Greek yogurt there's carbs in strawberries – There's carbs and vegetables and it's very hard for me not only financially but also just eating this much protein. I have a hard enough time buying groceries –that's a lot of meat to have to buy. Like others, I don't touch red meat anymore… It just doesn't work for me – so it's chicken breasts or fish or turkey and99% of the time I eat chicken breasts. The turkey and the fish are a great deal more expenses. Anyway, you guys don't need to listen to me babble about my own financial problems but I'm gonna do my best to get in those guidelines and see if it can kickstart my weight loss again.

I really do appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. I think that this forum is a great place to find support and the support others. Let's face it, we all need it one time or another.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend.

Natalie

If you are taking Yoga classes that is great!

I just joined a gym on a Groupon for 2 months. When I had the free consult, the trainer said that Yoga is the best thing for now, post surgery for me. I was pretty inactive prior to surgery so starting with Yoga classes was perfect !

He gave some great technical reasons, and said his mom also had the same surgery so he was very familiar with it. He also added stationary bike ( I can't walk well due to pain issues still) and upper body light weight training to help build muscle.

Any movement is better then no movement.

My sister is on a very strict budget, she is on disability and when she had the Lapband, her doctor told her to have Carnation Instant Breakfast with skim milk for her Protein. She did really well with it. Just an idea????

Hope you are doing well????????

Thank you Bella,

I'll definitely look into that. I'm just trying to do the best I can with what I have and my weight-loss is completely stalled for months. So it's really bothering me. Ideally I have about 50 more pounds to go – that'll put me at 180. I realize that that's notThe norm but to me, I was healthy and happy at that weight and I'd like to shoot for that if possible. If I can't get down to 180 then I would like to get as close as possible. I really appreciate your comments and suggestions. It all seems like an uphill battle but one way or another will make it work.

If you are taking Yoga classes that is great!

I just joined a gym on a Groupon for 2 months. When I had the free consult, the trainer said that Yoga is the best thing for now, post surgery for me. I was pretty inactive prior to surgery so starting with Yoga classes was perfect !

He gave some great technical reasons, and said his mom also had the same surgery so he was very familiar with it. He also added stationary bike ( I can't walk well due to pain issues still) and upper body light weight training to help build muscle.

Any movement is better then no movement.

My sister is on a very strict budget, she is on disability and when she had the Lapband, her doctor told her to have Carnation Instant Breakfast with skim milk for her Protein. She did really well with it. Just an idea????

Hope you are doing well????????

I've stalled in my weight loss for months now. I'm approximately 235 – I'll go up and down a few pounds here and there. But, I thought I would try to call the dietitian frommy surgeons office to ask a couple of basic questions. She didn't want to answer anything at all. Instead she wanted me to come in for a dietitian appointment for an hour and $75. I am disabled and on a very fixed income. I don't have extra money like that. I tried to explain that to her and try to do it least get her to answer a couple of very basic questions. She really didn't want to but finally she did.

According to her we don't consider calories at all in our diet. We only focus on Protein and carbs. I understand that completely that was the pre and post op diet as well. I'm really good at not eating carbs. I don't need bread at all, potatoes, rice, Pasta, whatever – I don't eat it. The one thing I do enjoy with moderation and proportions are vegetablesand the fruits but I was told we were allowed – berries only. So, I'm thinking I was doing pretty good but obviously I missing something here because I haven't lost any weight for months.

So, according to the dietitian…we are supposed to have 80 g of Protein a day – I'm lucky if I have 20. I like chicken and fish but only usually eat one meal a day. Sometimes I'll have Snacks here and there but they're all controlled. Outside of protein were supposed to count carbs as well – again, consistent with the pre-op diet. I assumed thatafter surgery, carbs would be a little bit more allowable – as long as you don't eat the stuff I mentioned before but, we're still only allowed 30 carbs a day even when we're trying to just maintain our diet. So there goes any small amounts of food and vegetables… LOL

Is this what everyone's following? If so, I had appreciate any suggestions or ideas when it comes to being more effective with my diet.... My goal weight is 180 pounds. I'd like to get as close as I can to that... So as you can see, I still got a while to go.

Hope everyone's having a good day,

Natalie

Natalie, this must be so frustrating. I am the "bad girl" as I have never followed a low carb diet after surgery. Only a "lower carb" diet, which is around 100-150 carbs a day. I try and keep them whole grain, lower/no sugar, and lots of organics and raw as possible. I am a vegetarian and getting in the Protein is not alway that great. I get back on track and try to get more of those often... its an on going problem. I have a goal range of 170-173 which I maintiained for a while, and in the past couple of months have gained 5-7 pounds. My exercise has reduced and my eating has become more mindless and emotional... which is the reason for the gain. I think you really need to get in more protein... it screws up your body not to have the protein you need to replace muscle tissue and such... My hair still falls out because of not enough protein.... Use MFP every day, do get exercise in any form you can manage, and work to improve the quality of your intake. Sometimes a little thing can really throw off your weight loss and gain. Best of luck to you, we are here for you!

Natalie, this must be so frustrating. I am the "bad girl" as I have never followed a low carb diet after surgery. Only a "lower carb" diet, which is around 100-150 carbs a day. I try and keep them whole grain, lower/no sugar, and lots of organics and raw as possible. I am a vegetarian and getting in the Protein is not alway that great. I get back on track and try to get more of those often... its an on going problem. I have a goal range of 170-173 which I maintiained for a while, and in the past couple of months have gained 5-7 pounds. My exercise has reduced and my eating has become more mindless and emotional... which is the reason for the gain. I think you really need to get in more protein... it screws up your body not to have the Protein you need to replace muscle tissue and such... My hair still falls out because of not enough protein.... Use MFP every day, do get exercise in any form you can manage, and work to improve the quality of your intake. Sometimes a little thing can really throw off your weight loss and gain. Best of luck to you, we are here for you!

Girl,

I am right there with you. I'm not getting enough Vitamins, minerals or protein and my hair is constantly falling out. To me that was always one of my favorite quote of "features because my hair has always been in good condition.but last year there is this whole debacle in the lady didn't listen to me about my hair and she put color on it in it Friday.… I trusted this lady but live and learn right? Right now I need to figure out how to get more protein in my diet. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do the Protein shakes but I was hoping I wasn't going to have to go that route anymore. But maybe that's the only solution.

Greek yogurt or cottage cheese! These are my best sources of relatively low calorie high Protein foods that also sit well on my sometimes tender tummy. I carry a yogurt with me almost all the time (in a small lunch sack on a freezer block). I have easy access at any time and at the first sign of hunger. They fill me up and keep hunger at bay. Try them.

Can you incorporate Protein powder without drinking shakes? I love my morning Protein mocha (Click mocha, almond milk / hot Water, and a Starbucks via packet), but there's a lot you can do with Protein Powder. I mix Protein Powder into plain greek yogurt - I like Casein protein powder better than whey for this, as it's thicker and less gritty. I also make protein muffins with a bit of oatmeal, egg, vanilla protein powder, chopped apple, cottage cheese and cinnamon. I know it sounds weird, but it makes a surprisingly convincing muffin. I've found some great protein recipes online.

Has any one ever tried straining or sifting the powder to see if it gets thinner?

Yeah you gotta get your Protein up. In another that isn't so strict on the carbs (I don't do much--no bread/pasta/rice but I don't go as low as 30g).

But at 20g of Protein you will lose more than hair, you will lose muscle mass. I couldn't shake the shakes until almost a year out, needed one a day to keep the protein up. Still have one more days than not. Protein Bars (quest is my jam) help too as long as they aren't the ones with lots of carbs/sugar.

Make your Snacks about protein too-- lunch meat rolled in cheese, boiled shrimp, tuna, hard boiled egg, string cheese, nuts, Jerky, Greek yogert, grilled chicken strips, etc.